The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 December 2019, 03:29 AM   #61
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
So if you had adopted this dog and then found out it had a broken jaw and needed surgery, you’d have shot it?
Yes, depending on the cost I might very well have it put to sleep.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 03:36 AM   #62
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy63 View Post
Humanely like the way Canada Goose treats coyotes?

Randy
I'm not sure if they actually do or not but I do own a few. Nice fur, actually works extremely well. Animal furs properties are better suited to that task than synthetics supposedly.

Have you any idea how many pairs of leather shoes I own. Shocking!!!

Animals have been killed for not only human clothing but it's what we've been eating and sustaining on ever since there has been human beings. Maybe just maybe, if we do it correctly we might able to continue this practice at least until I no longer find it necessary and possibly long after I do...……

Do you own any leather products yourself?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 December 2019, 04:01 AM   #63
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I'm not sure if they actually do or not but I do own a few. Nice fur, actually works extremely well. Animal furs properties are better suited to that task than synthetics supposedly.

Animals have been killed for not only human clothing but it's what we've been eating and sustaining on ever since there has been human beings. Maybe just maybe, if we do it correctly we might able to continue this practice at least until I no longer find it necessary and possibly long after I do...……

I agree with everything you have posted in this thread. It is how it should be.
Having said that I am too soft to do so and follow the logic. I pay up.
Old 8 December 2019, 04:05 AM   #64
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I agree with everything you have posted in this thread. It is how it should be.
Having said that I am too soft to do so and follow the logic. I pay up.
Having said all that I've been rather fortunate that my dog who I didn't want initially that became my dog that my wife got has been of good health. However being an old soldier I do have the necessary qualities to make and carry through on tough decisions.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 December 2019, 04:11 AM   #65
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

Quote:

Animals skin and fur have been killed for not only human clothing but it's what we've been eating and sustaining on ever since there has been human beings. Maybe just maybe, if we do it correctly we might able to continue this practice at least until I no longer find it necessary and possibly long after I do...……

If you don't know how Canada Goose sources their coyote fur a quick google search will shed light on their practices.

Correctly clearly means different things to different people. For me correctly harvesting an animal means doing so in such a way as to minimize fear and suffering in the animal.

I do own some leather products, however I'm fairly confident the animals they came from didn't suffer for days in a leg trap before they were killed.

By the way, I was raised by parents that placed a great deal of importance on how a family pet should be treated, or any animal for that matter. I was taught that although they are animals their health and welfare matters because they are an important part of the family. My parents were old school and lived through the great depression.

I've raised my son with those same values.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 04:24 AM   #66
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you don't know how Canada Goose sources their coyote fur a quick google search will shed light on their practices.

Correctly clearly means different things to different people. For me correctly harvesting an animal means doing so in such a way as to minimize fear and suffering in the animal.

I do own some leather products, however I'm fairly confident the animals they came from didn't suffer for days in a leg trap before they were killed.

By the way, I was raised by parents that placed a great deal of importance on how a family pet should be treated, or any animal for that matter. I was taught that although they are animals their health and welfare matters because they are an important part of the family. My parents were old school and lived through the great depression.

I've raised my son with those same values.

Randy
All great to hear and I am extremely happy to know you actually have values. Most people actually do not.

I thoroughly research products based on what product will serve my purposes based on aesthetics, needs, quality, customer service, and appeal.

I do not and have never researched their entire supply chain. I hope they do it reasonably and responsibly and hope to not hear through a documentary much later as is the case with most things that not only they didn't that they actually poisoned a water source like Dupont has for decades and caused disease or suffering later on.

I've seen born again Christians who do not practice Christianity.

I've seen pet owners who treat their pets better than they do other human beings.

I don't demonstrate but I don't personally do things I believe to be unethical. I have a code and a moral compass I live by and I only wish others would have as well but I've seen many that don't.

I value a person based on what they do and not just what they say.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 December 2019, 06:29 AM   #67
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Yes, depending on the cost I might very well have it put to sleep.

Well I’m glad he found us rather than you. He’s an amazing dog full of life and so smart. I’d have sold a watch to save him if needed. I guess it’s all about what you prioritize in life.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 06:36 AM   #68
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I’m glad he found us rather than you. He’s an amazing dog full of life and so smart. I’d have sold a watch to save him if needed. I guess it’s all about what you prioritize in life.
Agreed, it does seem that you are happy, your pet is happy, and I am happy. I have nothing against you nor your pet. I have my priorities straight and it seems you do what works best for you as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 December 2019, 06:53 AM   #69
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Humanely like the way Canada Goose treats coyotes?

Randy
When I was a kid living in northern Nevada, you could hunt coyote without a license anytime of the year. They were considered a nuisance animal. Even offering a bounty at times.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 06:55 AM   #70
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
When I was a kid living in northern Nevada, you could hunt coyote without a license anytime of the year. They were considered a nuisance animal. Even offering a bounty at times.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Maybe there are some who think they might make a good pet.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 December 2019, 07:06 AM   #71
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
So does that mean a nuisance animal doesn’t deserve to be dispatched quickly and humanely? There’s a difference between a well placed bullet and a leg hold trap. It’s obvious that some people make no such distinctions. I do.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 07:06 AM   #72
Dan417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR Oyster
Wish I had pet insurance. Dog tore her acl. Cost $3,000 to fix. Gotta weight out the cost over time I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2FA secured

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Dan417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 07:11 AM   #73
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So does that mean a nuisance animal doesn’t deserve to be dispatched quickly and humanely? There’s a difference between a well placed bullet and a leg hold trap. It’s obvious that some people make no such distinctions. I do.

Randy
I don't know all of the details but sometimes the cost and time it would take is simply just more than it's worth. It's the practical approach to an issue. Life ain't always easy and those further down the chain pay the price.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 December 2019, 07:50 AM   #74
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Hi everyone, my wife and I have been toying with the idea of adding a puppy to the household for the kids. They have been asking for a puppy or cat for ever. We might finally be ready to make the move. Those of you who have pets, is having a pet insurance coverage the way to go. If you have it, have you ever used or relied on it. Thanks gang!

So back on topic, we use to have pet insurance with a car and two dogs - a three pet policy. We got some money back for routine exams, etc and then got another car. They didn’t sell 4 pet policies so we could do 3+1 or 2+2, do we kind of lost the volume discount and decided to self insure then by putting the money each month into a separate account. Our finances have improved since then and our rainy day fund will cover most emergencies so we don’t do that anymore.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 8 December 2019, 08:44 AM   #75
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
So back on topic, we use to have pet insurance with a car and two dogs - a three pet policy. We got some money back for routine exams, etc and then got another car. They didn’t sell 4 pet policies so we could do 3+1 or 2+2, do we kind of lost the volume discount and decided to self insure then by putting the money each month into a separate account. Our finances have improved since then and our rainy day fund will cover most emergencies so we don’t do that anymore.
Your auto (no pun intended) correct is killing me.

As to your current pet insurance strategy ...
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 09:07 AM   #76
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post

Your auto (no pun intended) correct is killing me.

As to your current pet insurance strategy ...

Cat - car, what’s the difference? LOL
Old 8 December 2019, 09:44 AM   #77
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cat - car, what’s the difference? LOL
Cat can run over car.

Car can run over cat.

Yeah you're right, no real difference

(except it's damned annoying trying to buff out fresh claw scratches from freshly polished duco the night before Concours...)
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 10:34 PM   #78
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:

Randy
Come on Randy, go start a thread about this and preach it somewhere else. I was getting good info on pet insurance and you managed to sway this.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 10:44 PM   #79
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Come on Randy, go start a thread about this and preach it somewhere else. I was getting good info on pet insurance and you managed to sway this.
Here, Here.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 01:44 AM   #80
sam florio
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II
I have it for my dog because I can’t imagine having to make a decision to pay or not
It’s relatively inexpensive and more manageable on a monthly basis
My dog requires daily eye drops (for life) that cost $400 per Monty yet I am reimbursed 350 from my insurance so the 35 I pay monthly has already paid off immensely

If I didn’t have the insurance I would find a way, but I am fortunate that I have it
So to each his or her own; but for me a real benefit
sam florio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 03:39 AM   #81
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam florio View Post
I have it for my dog because I can’t imagine having to make a decision to pay or not
It’s relatively inexpensive and more manageable on a monthly basis
My dog requires daily eye drops (for life) that cost $400 per Monty
Can I ask what Rx drops you’re administering?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 05:55 AM   #82
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
I think it is completely breed dependent, to be honest. Many dog breeds are very healthy, especially "muts".

I have two French Bulldogs and I can without hesitation say pet insurance has been worth it. If you can swing a $10k to $20k surprise bill without thinking about it, I would argue it's not something you need and probably worth rolling the dice.

There are "gotchas" though. You must start from a clean bill of health - any sort of pre-existing condition won't be covered.

If anybody is considering pet insurnace, I would go with Healthy Paws. They've been amazing and I would wholeheartedly recommend them.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2020, 09:44 AM   #83
sam florio
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Can I ask what Rx drops you’re administering?

Sorry for the late reply
1 tacrolimus cyclosporin .02 and 2%
2 maxitroll
3 colluyrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk