The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 December 2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Blaner
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 5513
What market is more absurd, Rolex steel or allocated Bourbon?

Are the market conditions for Batman/Pepsi/Daytona any different than the market for Pappy Van Winkle, BT Antique Collection, and now Blanton's?
Blaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 03:58 PM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
As someone who enjoys both I will keep this short. I think the bourbon market is more absurd when you consider the multiples on resale and the product differentiation.

But and this is a huge but...Bourbon has the advantage of being a drug. The general public is highly unlikely to walk away from alcohol with how engrained it is into our culture. Watches I am not as convinced.

As such I am more confident in the price stability of some of my bourbon bottles than my watches.
Old 6 December 2019, 09:34 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
As someone who enjoys both I will keep this short. I think the bourbon market is more absurd when you consider the multiples on resale and the product differentiation.

But and this is a huge but...Bourbon has the advantage of being a drug. The general public is highly unlikely to walk away from alcohol with how engrained it is into our culture. Watches I am not as convinced.

As such I am more confident in the price stability of some of my bourbon bottles than my watches.
I agree

In addition, you can only drink the bourbon once. The watch can stay for years through multiple owners.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:44 PM   #4
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Just happy I don’t have a palate for either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 11:01 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The supply chain is much different - it takes a decade (or more) for an increase in bourbon production to hit the market by the high-demand distilleries.

They both share an out of whack demand curve - bourbon trumps watches, though.

For example, the price of a 116500 is 2x MSRP in the secondary market.

23 y.o. Pappy’s fetches 8-10x of its MSRP.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 11:02 PM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Limited Edition Ferrari cars, Ford F40s...
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 11:10 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I had no idea there was such a thing as allocated bourbon. Learned something new here today.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 12:25 AM   #8
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:

Well said.
Old 7 December 2019, 08:29 AM   #9
Clinton Ave
Banned

Both are absolutely ridiculous but I'd say watches are worse. At least bourbon there's so many great options.

I grabbed a bottle of Blanton's today for $70. Same store just upped their price on McKenna 10 Yr to $50 from $35. My other two stores are also now at $50 for McKenna. Haven't bought any at that price and passed on the Eagle Rare at $35 at one of my local spots.

When I'm overseas now I specifically look for hard to find US bourbons. Found an Old Rip 10 Yr for $150 US (London), a Weller 12 for $80 US (London), and Blanton's Gold for $90 US (Paris) in the last couple months. Not great, but decent enough prices.
Clinton Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 10:28 AM   #10
Blaner
"TRF" Member

I think the bourbon market is crazier. I've been lucky enough to come into a few rare bottles - Pappy 23, 20, and 15 to name a few...and even had an outside chance at Pappy 25.

But when something is 10x retail price, that's insane. I guess the one thing that makes more sense is that it's fairly transparent...a store gets an allocation, they sell it in the fall, you don't worry about it again for a year. (At least on Pappy).

The Blanton's thing is almost crazier to me. Pappy is like the Daytona or Nautilus. We understand why those are at a premium. But Blanton's is like Milgauss suddenly selling for 15k on the gray market, at least in my head.

Having said that, I'd gladly trade from my Pappy collection for a slot to buy a Daytona at MSRP.

It's also not really feasible to flip most bourbons. Even if I wanted to sell my Pappy 23, I don't even know how i'd do that legally.
Old 7 December 2019, 12:23 PM   #11
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Here in Denver, people are camping out tonight for the latest release of the Stranahan’s Snowflake Colorado whiskey.

https://www.9news.com/article/life/s...4-f359ef377b88

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:18 PM   #12
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
Bourbon allocation ? Wow who da thunk ? Glad I'm a beer drinker
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:24 PM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaner View Post
I think the bourbon market is crazier. I've been lucky enough to come into a few rare bottles - Pappy 23, 20, and 15 to name a few...and even had an outside chance at Pappy 25.

But when something is 10x retail price, that's insane. I guess the one thing that makes more sense is that it's fairly transparent...a store gets an allocation, they sell it in the fall, you don't worry about it again for a year. (At least on Pappy).

The Blanton's thing is almost crazier to me. Pappy is like the Daytona or Nautilus. We understand why those are at a premium. But Blanton's is like Milgauss suddenly selling for 15k on the gray market, at least in my head.

Having said that, I'd gladly trade from my Pappy collection for a slot to buy a Daytona at MSRP.

It's also not really feasible to flip most bourbons. Even if I wanted to sell my Pappy 23, I don't even know how i'd do that legally.
I will take it off your hands for a handsome profit
Old 7 December 2019, 08:36 PM   #14
Blaner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hah, 9x? :-)
I think the 20 tastes better anyway, but everyone has a different favorite.
Old 7 December 2019, 10:24 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaner View Post
Hah, 9x? :-)
I think the 20 tastes better anyway, but everyone has a different favorite.
not that handsome haha everyone has their take. I agree 20 over 23.
Old 7 December 2019, 11:42 PM   #16
Flyinghunter
"TRF" Member

Absurd levels: Allocated Whiskey > Rolex
Flyinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 01:02 AM   #17
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:

This is how. Ran into the same thing with some Budweiser collectible wood crates with beer, glasses etc in it.

And have the same issue with a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias that I have. Will never drink it but bought because I knew I could sell. But how to sell gets tricky as eBay etc pulls the listings down.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 07:35 AM   #18
Blaner
"TRF" Member

Part of me thinks I should just drink it all and sell the bottles on ebay empty for more than i paid for them originally, but the problem there is that in 98% of the cases, they're being bought by counterfeiters, which is no bueno.

It's very much the same as the Rolex thing - it costs this much because there's not enough to stock in stores and demand far exceeds supply.

My "AD" (hah) told me he got a shipment of Rock Hill Farms in....I had no idea what it was, but he said I should buy it...so I did...and it's going for something like 3-4x on the secondary market.
Old 9 December 2019, 05:59 AM   #19
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
An interesting parallel is that finding “dusty” bourbon at current retail (while not easy) is far more likely for the non-professional than finding a vintage Rolex for a reasonable price nowadays. Of course as time passes, it gets more and more difficult as collectors hunt/chase what’s still out there “in the wild”.

If I’d been smart enough to invest in bourbon at the then market prices when I was acquiring my vintage collection, I would have seen a far better ROI on the bourbon than Rolexes.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:55 AM   #20
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I remember when I could walk into any liquor store and buy Blantons. Now, it is impossible to find.

I enjoy bourbon, but I am not the type of guy to get on a waiting list for bourbon nor would I pay secondary market prices.
Old 10 December 2019, 01:21 AM   #21
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Wow, never would have thought but makes sense. Guess I'm happy my wine tastes are simple, don't want to imagine what's going on with that can of worms.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 01:37 AM   #22
Brew
"TRF" Member

I had no idea this is what has happened to the bourbon market. Interesting. Looks like my efforts to save my liver, may have also saved my wallet.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 01:44 AM   #23
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

It is a crazy market for some bourbons now. Found two bottle of Blanton’s in Georgia at a couple little out of the way liquor stores while visiting friends. Can’t find it anywhere up north.

I think there are very good small batch producers out there which is what I look for now. I won’t pay silly prices for consumable products. Too many alternatives I find just as good.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 05:58 AM   #24
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
It’s the economy. People have more money. Manufacturers are catering to people with expendable cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 06:45 PM   #25
akordz
Banned

Haven't really looked or thought about it in such a way
akordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 05:06 AM   #26
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I agree

In addition, you can only drink the bourbon once. The watch can stay for years through multiple owners.
Just like watches, the bourbon craze has been fueled by social media, with people buying "rare" bottles (sound familiar...?) and just putting them on shelves, not to be drank or enjoyed. Then they trade them, sometimes over and over again. Pappy, BTAC, other limited releases... Their secondary market prices are extravagant and make it difficult to justify actually opening the bottle to enjoy because the juice won't be nearly as good as the expectation at the price they paid...

I have a whiskey bar here in my area (actually heading there tonight) that has every limited release bottle you could think of... but they buy it at secondary prices for 8-10x the MSRP so they charge an arm and a leg for a pour. Many of them are sitting on the shelves unopened.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 05:11 AM   #27
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
This is how. Ran into the same thing with some Budweiser collectible wood crates with beer, glasses etc in it.

And have the same issue with a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias that I have. Will never drink it but bought because I knew I could sell. But how to sell gets tricky as eBay etc pulls the listings down.

There are sites out there for it, or you can ship it to the UK and have it listed in an online auction (US Laws prohibit such listings on auction sites because of our 21-and-over drinking laws). I've bought several bottles of Blanton's Gold and SFTB, as well as a few "dusty" bottles of various brands, through various auction sites.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 12:18 PM   #28
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Kowaco is dead on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 13 December 2019, 12:55 PM   #29
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
It’s social media. Up until maybe 15 years ago, people would buy rare whiskies to impress friends at dinner parties. Now it’s to impress strangers on the Internet. The social
media craziness has taken everything up a notch....people are buying cars, watches, houses, whiskey, etc in an attempt to impress people they don’t know.
By the way....I do like Bourbon, and some of it has really gotten crazy! I can’t say it is as bad as wine, and wine has been crazy for decades!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 December 2019, 01:05 PM   #30
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Nothing sells like scarcity...

wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote