The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 April 2020, 07:21 AM   #1
jph4387
2024 Pledge Member

Anybody mountain bike?

This social distancing drove me to buy a bike again to get out and ride in the neighborhood. However, the more I read about bikes the more I wish I'd gone higher end and now I find myself looking at bikes all day.

Any good places for reading to learn? I'd also love to get your recommendations on my next bike.
jph4387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:25 AM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
If you want a great mountain bike then look no further than either Santa Cruz & Yeti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:34 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph4387 View Post
This social distancing drove me to buy a bike again to get out and ride in the neighborhood. However, the more I read about bikes the more I wish I'd gone higher end and now I find myself looking at bikes all day.

Any good places for reading to learn? I'd also love to get your recommendations on my next bike.
What is your budget? Where do you ride?

Lots of info online
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:34 AM   #4
jph4387
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
If you want a great mountain bike then look no further than either Santa Cruz & Yeti.

I"m looking at slightly more affordable. Those are sweet but I'm currently looking at some offerings from Giant. The local dealer in my little town is a Giant dealer and I would like to shop local, especially in this economy.
Old 14 April 2020, 07:34 AM   #5
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I bought a high end Yeti last year and have been loving it. I take it up to the mountains in the summer and then back to Denver in the winter!
Old 14 April 2020, 07:43 AM   #6
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Was really into it about 15 years ago and rode a hardtail Cannondale and getting back into it slowly. Trek has a lot stores in my area, so thats my choice!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:54 AM   #7
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

I have an Airborne and it works well for me. Good price, good components etc.

https://airbornebicycles.com/
Old 14 April 2020, 09:19 AM   #8
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT009 View Post
Was really into it about 15 years ago and rode a hardtail Cannondale and getting back into it slowly. Trek has a lot stores in my area, so thats my choice!
Ditto! Canondale Killer V900 hard tail all the way. Still have it.
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 09:34 AM   #9
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

It should be about the activity, and not the equipment. Granted, it's nice to have nice stuff. But in my opinion, if you're spending your ride time looking at bikes to buy instead of actually riding, you're doing it wrong. You'll learn by doing and being around other riders. Mountain bikers are some of the easiest athletes to get along with. Get out and enjoy yourself!
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 09:38 AM   #10
jph4387
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
What is your budget? Where do you ride?

Lots of info online
I'm lucky being in the Charlotte, NC area and we have the National Whitewater Center loaded with trails. I'm not going to be doing major downhill riding but more riding wooded trails with beginner to medium difficulty and enjoying the outdoors. Budget I'd say is 3K.
Old 14 April 2020, 09:39 AM   #11
jph4387
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
It should be about the activity, and not the equipment. Granted, it's nice to have nice stuff. But in my opinion, if you're spending your ride time looking at bikes to buy instead of actually riding, you're doing it wrong. You'll learn by doing and being around other riders. Mountain bikers are some of the easiest athletes to get along with. Get out and enjoy yourself!
Understood. I'm waiting for my bike I ordered to be delivered later this week and will immediately get started riding. It's me researching in anticipation.
Old 14 April 2020, 10:44 AM   #12
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Anybody mountain bike?

You can find slightly used tricked out Santa Cruz full suspension bikes on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for 3k all day long.

If you get serious about riding you’ll be sorry you wasted money on a Giant when you could’ve just gotten something really rad to begin with.

If you’re more novice, I’d look at a 5010.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:55 AM   #13
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post

If you get serious about riding you’ll be sorry you wasted money on a Giant when you could’ve just gotten something really rad to begin with.

If you’re more novice, I’d look at a 5010.
I'll vouch for a Giant Anthem being quite the capable bike..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db05M_lhymc
Old 14 April 2020, 10:59 AM   #14
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I have a Trek Fuel EX-5 27.5 mountain bike. About $2,600. But my spouse sold her two year-old Trek Fuel EX-5 last summer for $1,400. It’s a decent bike and will get you well into the sport before you need to buy something better, if ever.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:01 AM   #15
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I have a Trek Fuel EX-5 27.5 mountain bike. About $2,600. But my spouse sold her two year-old Trek Fuel EX-5 last summer for $1,400. It’s a decent bike and will get you well into the sport before you need to buy something better, if ever.
+1

Probably not something you'd outgrow for a while
A lot of good choices at the 3K and less price point
Old 14 April 2020, 11:18 AM   #16
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Anybody mountain bike?

Quote:
I'll vouch for a Giant Anthem being quite the capable bike..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db05M_lhymc
You could ride that trail on a hardtail dude lol.

No question about it’s capability, which as always really just depends who is riding it.

Santa Cruz just makes better bikes IMO - and if the budget is 3k...that’s what I’d look at.

As long as you’re out riding, the rest is semantics.
Old 14 April 2020, 11:20 AM   #17
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No question about it’s capability, which as always really just depends who is riding it.

Santa Cruz just makes better bikes IMO - and if the budget is 3k...that’s what I’d look at.

As long as you’re out riding, the rest is semantics.
Old 14 April 2020, 01:57 PM   #18
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

You can get a decent bike at that $3000 price point.

The Giant is an excellent entry as you should make sure you like the sport and also get a few component damaging/destroying crashes under your belt before you start plunking down cash for the Yetis and Santa Cruz bikes.

You will also come to understand your personal style of riding over 1-2 seasons and this will dictate what features you need in a bike down the road. For example, I prefer more efficient mid travel dual suspension bikes because I like long climbing rides and more moderate downhills.

I have gone back and forth from off the shelf Specialized to high end custom builds as technology has advanced and my wife’s tolerance for my bike budget waxes and wanes. I have never had a bike that I disliked, only ones that I loved more than others.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 09:01 PM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I'm lucky being in the Charlotte, NC area and we have the National Whitewater Center loaded with trails. I'm not going to be doing major downhill riding but more riding wooded trails with beginner to medium difficulty and enjoying the outdoors. Budget I'd say is 3K.
That is a nice budget, lots of bikes in that range. It appears you have made a choice but like anything else, looking at and test riding would be a good start.

I ride a Specialized Epic S-Works mountain bike

And a Pinarello Rokh roadbike

In any case good luck
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 09:44 PM   #20
Phil t 32
"TRF" Member

I am biased but one the best bikes available in that price bracket would be an ibis mojo HD3, you should be able to source one with decent spec, they climb brilliantly and can cope with anything with exception of full on downhill.

If you buy a ‘decent spec’ bike there will be no limitations on your learning curve because the bike will be more capable than you and as you get more skills and confidence the bike will take you further

Have a search on tinternet for Ibis Mojo HD3, watch the videos of what some folk can do on them, amazing

If you are buying a used bike, like anything else, be aware that they. An be a bit of a money pit if you need to start replacing chains / cassettes / bearings / tyres etc etc

Obviously I am biased towards the ibis but I have never read a bad review anywhere

Phil t 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:03 PM   #21
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I used to Mt. Bike. I enjoyed it. But I haven't been in quite a while. I ride a circa 2001 Jamis steel frame hard tail. I love that bike, but it if I were to buy something today it would probably be whatever the current Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail equivalent is.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:13 PM   #22
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I had a number of 26” Mbikes – trek, orange, specialized.

My latest bike is a Santa Cruz Tallboy (about 4 years old now) This bike brought on my skill level and enjoyment immensely. It climbs well and descends superbly.

At the time of purchase this bike got rave reviews (and probably still does) but I like the bike so much, I have no plans of swapping and if I did, I would purchase the same again – only the latest model!
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:19 PM   #23
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak

Been to look at this entry level Yeti this morning, the shop says they’ve never been so busy.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:50 PM   #24
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I used to Mt. Bike. I enjoyed it. But I haven't been in quite a while. I ride a circa 2001 Jamis steel frame hard tail. I love that bike, but it if I were to buy something today it would probably be whatever the current Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail equivalent is.
Was it a Dragon? Nice steel frames. I’ve got in excess of 13 bikes, and my favorite is still a hardtail
Old 14 April 2020, 10:50 PM   #25
snoride
"TRF" Member

Your new bike

Quote:
Understood. I'm waiting for my bike I ordered to be delivered later this week and will immediately get started riding. It's me researching in anticipation.
Please tell us what are you getting? You mentioned your local shop is a Giant dealer. Giant makes great bikes and it's very important to support your local shop. My advise is get a full suspension bike. The Anthem is a very capable trail bike. If you need more travel for gnarlier trails then the Trance and Reign are good options.
snoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:59 PM   #26
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You could ride that trail on a hardtail dude lol.
...and I have.
Old 14 April 2020, 11:01 PM   #27
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...and I have.

Old 14 April 2020, 11:08 PM   #28
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was it a Dragon? Nice steel frames. I’ve got in excess of 13 bikes, and my favorite is still a hardtail
No, it is the Dakota XC - nearly identical to the Dragon but Reynolds 631 steel all XT components vs 853 and XTR... the bike shop owner (a friend of mine) had the Dragon. Sweet bike, just a little out of my budget at the time. Hind sight, I should have stretched for it. Oh well.

Hard tail is my favorite as well. I'll never ride a dual sus.

My first real riding was done on a GT backwoods with a rigid fork (it was my brother's, I borrowed it a lot)... some of my best memories of riding on that bike.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:13 PM   #29
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My boy’s learning that trail on his 20” hardtail.....
94788958-A4CE-4575-8A13-9A423F0E1F55.jpeg

14DE6621-1868-48AD-9D14-C40821E30E0F.jpeg
Old 14 April 2020, 11:23 PM   #30
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoride View Post
You’ll mentioned your local shop is a Giant dealer. Giant makes great bikes and it's very important to support your local shop.
I agree completely. I buy all of my tools and accessories from our local bike shop, even though I could get them cheaper online.

I don’t know if you’ve mentioned your age or your level of risk acceptance. I’m 64 and three years ago crashed skiing, shattering a collarbone and breaking seven ribs. My level of risk-taking has dropped markedly, and I can happily get by with a bike like a Trek. I’ll likely never exceed its capabilities, at least on purpose.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote