The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 October 2020, 02:57 PM   #31
nauti1us
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing.
911 if it was me, or maybe the AMG for something a little different... but I’m a big Porsche guy and think it’s the best all rounder.
nauti1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 06:03 PM   #32
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
If you could stretch your budget a little, I’d highly recommend the new 911 Turbo S. I’ve test driven one and they match the hype. Best handling car I’ve driven and seem to have so much power and minimal turbo lag when you need it.
They have a lease special around $1900 for 2019 turbo S at my Porsche dealership - seems like that’s the way to go... only 7.5 miles per year I believe... not surprising that nobody likes the California haven’t heard many good things it but 570 S seemed to be a great alternative didn’t know they have that many issues
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 06:06 PM   #33
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
SLS AMG Black Series. ......that engine noise tho'.....
Looks amazing but over my budget... gt might be worth a look like others have suggested but do I have to go AMG or regular also good?

Maybe it’s best that I wait close some more deals not in a rush
Old 11 October 2020, 06:48 PM   #34
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Looks amazing but over my budget... gt might be worth a look like others have suggested but do I have to go AMG or regular also good?

Maybe it’s best that I wait close some more deals not in a rush
A 2011-2012 SLS can be found in the 150k range; not necessarily out of your budget.

For the GT, they're all AMG's; there are no "regular" Mercedes versions. Look at the GT C, it has the heart of the GT R, but not the track setup; probably the best "all around" GT model they have.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 09:59 PM   #35
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0331 View Post
A 2011-2012 SLS can be found in the 150k range; not necessarily out of your budget.

For the GT, they're all AMG's; there are no "regular" Mercedes versions. Look at the GT C, it has the heart of the GT R, but not the track setup; probably the best "all around" GT model they have.
SLS and SLS Black Series are two very different things.

Agree with you on the C.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 10:12 PM   #36
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I have been in the automotive industry for over 22 years.

If I have one advice it would be this one : don’t buy used if you cannot afford it new.

McLaren and Ferrari cost a lot in maintenance and repairs (would never consider one outside of warranty period), it might be ok if it is your week end cruiser but would not advise anyone to use them as daily drivers (even new).

So 911 out of your choices.
Old 11 October 2020, 11:03 PM   #37
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go find a 911 model that fits my driving needs. I would lease and not buy and rinse and repeat.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 11:31 PM   #38
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I would avoid the California as it is a hard-top convertible first and a Ferrari a distant second. Cannot say much about the 570 but the perceived reliability issues are a dampener.
If I were you, I would pick a 911 and drive happily ever after. If you want to be a little flamboyant, I would try the Audi R8 RWD or the Acura NSX.
The 911 is like the Sub, you will never go wrong with it and it will most likely never let you down.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 12:17 AM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
You can’t go wrong with a 911 regardless of generation. If you’re more purist orientated the 997.2 is probably the last and best of 911s. The 991.1 NA 3.4 and 3.8 (pre-Turbo 3.0 engines) are also more sought after and frankly the last of the last. The post 2016 991.2s are just kind of meh and the 992 is somewhat of a sales flop for Porsche. Blame CAFE. If enthusiast and purist is not a concern (which is most common) and you want an amazing sports car the 992 is outstanding and cannot be beat for what you get. There’s nothing better out there. I have a good friend at Ferrari and he doesn’t speak highly of them. As for the 570s, my son says it is hella bad ass!! But not a great daily.

992s have been selling with ease. Discounts have shrunk and allocations for 2021 require a bit of calling around in some cases. At least that’s the word on rennlist.

For 150k I would be going 992 C2 and putting 30-40k in my pocket depending on spec. In fact that’s what I did.

If you’re willing to wait for the GTS I think that’s a good move but I don’t think the S is a compelling value unless you need the stick.

If you raise the budget go for a 458 but that’s just a more expensive proposition across the board and it’s not new which for me means a lot.
Old 12 October 2020, 12:17 AM   #40
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoil4ever View Post
I have been in the automotive industry for over 22 years.

If I have one advice it would be this one : don’t buy used if you cannot afford it new.

McLaren and Ferrari cost a lot in maintenance and repairs (would never consider one outside of warranty period), it might be ok if it is your week end cruiser but would not advise anyone to use them as daily drivers (even new).

So 911 out of your choices.
Thanks this would only be my weekend cruiser but good to know that maclaren scares everyone in terms of maintenance- appreciate the advice. Even though I thought the 570s were good value second hand. Most people told me to buy them used since the loss in value is so much. Ferrari was never a serious consideration yet tempting given that the California is in the the general price range I can afford. Loved the Macan GTS we just sold - zero problems in over three years.
Old 12 October 2020, 12:23 AM   #41
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
992s have been selling with ease. Discounts have shrunk and allocations for 2021 require a bit of calling around in some cases. At least that’s the word on rennlist.

For 150k I would be going 992 C2 and putting 30-40k in my pocket depending on spec. In fact that’s what I did.

If you’re willing to wait for the GTS I think that’s a good move but I don’t think the S is a compelling value unless you need the stick.

If you raise the budget go for a 458 but that’s just a more expensive proposition across the board and it’s not new which for me means a lot.
Thanks that’s good advice - need to do more research on the different 911s. Have zero clue about different generations- my buddy has an 458 what a beauty.
Any feedback on the 718 Spyder ? Seems to be a lot of bang for buck but maybe my SA was just selling a bunch of marketing bs
Old 12 October 2020, 12:44 AM   #42
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks that’s good advice - need to do more research on the different 911s. Have zero clue about different generations- my buddy has an 458 what a beauty.
Any feedback on the 718 Spyder ? Seems to be a lot of bang for buck but maybe my SA was just selling a bunch of marketing bs
If you’re looking at 718s I would be all in on a GT4. I prefer the GT4 over most 911s.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 01:07 AM   #43
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Without question, 911.

You get so much more car.

McLaren is going to give you unending issues and it’s build quality is suspect. The California is nice, but has a bad rap and is really a cruiser.

The 911 gets you everything. Sex appeal. Daily driver. Comfort. The Ferrari and McLaren are great cars. Don’t get me wrong. But they are not the full package that the Porsche is.
All this plus for that spend you can get it new, completely customized to your tastes vs taking someones elses idea of a McLaren or Ferrari. 911 all the way.
Old 12 October 2020, 01:11 AM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

The 718 spyder ditto the GT4 are sensational cars. Row the gears, NA motor, handling that can be described as perfect without your nose growing like Pinocchio

If you’re willing to sacrifice a bit of creature comforts the 911 provides it is hard to argue against one.

They won’t be as fast in a straight line as a 992 S but I’m of the belief that means very little in terms of enjoyment.

I’m 6’3 and feel a pinch cramped in the cayman platform but honestly for a weekend toy I would be just fine.
Old 12 October 2020, 01:32 AM   #45
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I follow some cars in this market as I’m looking for a retirement toy myself and it’s never too early to see what’s what. I’m in a McLaren group and everyone, even the most die hard McLaren guys, say to get a Factory warranty if you buy preowned. So figure $6k/yr for extended warranty. That would probably still be my choice if it was an occasional driver on a nice weekend. They make fantastic looking, but somewhat finicky, hand made wonders. If there isn’t a dealer nearby, maybe think twice about one. It wins on looks.
The California theoretically has a back seat, so that might be useful. There’s about a $75k difference between a 2017 California and it’s replacement a 2018 Portofino. So I think there’s some good value there in that it took an extra hit in depreciation already. I’ve never looked at a Portofino, so I’m not sure if it’s 50% better long term. Probably not. And it’s a Ferrari, that name brings a lot of tradition and heritage with it which is nice.
I admit that I have an anti Porsche bias because everyone and their brother around here has one, or several, however for a daily driver I’d think that would be the best choice. One other note about buying new, I’m sure you’ve looked on the Porsche website, but the difference between the base price and what you spec out is probably going to be 30k, so factor that in. If you’re going to buy new, you might as well get it made exactly how you want, with some of the bells and whistles.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 01:46 AM   #46
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Out of the options you mention, 911 hands down. I have yet to drive a newer FI 992. Had a 991 C2S and loved it.

That being said, currently I have a loaned AMG GTs that I've put about 300 miles on in my garage and if I was shopping in the ~100k range I think that might be the purchase i'd make. This motor is unreal. The sounds, the shifting, and exhaust note are like nothing Ive experienced before. I'd highly recommend giving one a try to a comparable 911.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 02:16 AM   #47
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
Out of the options you mention, 911 hands down. I have yet to drive a newer FI 992. Had a 991 C2S and loved it.

That being said, currently I have a loaned AMG GTs that I've put about 300 miles on in my garage and if I was shopping in the ~100k range I think that might be the purchase i'd make. This motor is unreal. The sounds, the shifting, and exhaust note are like nothing Ive experienced before. I'd highly recommend giving one a try to a comparable 911.
They can be had like 80-85k with 5k miles certified. There are a few at euro motorcars in bethesda (really nice to buy cars from, service is different).

You can also tune them and get another 100hp easily, resonator delete and they sound ridiculous

https://www.eurobethesdamercedes.com...b0f7e1b207.htm I know they say this is 89, but they send me emails saying its like 85.

https://www.eurobethesdamercedes.com...49242dd614.htm

For an everyday car. I really like the S63 coupe. Very close to buying one. Tune one of the 5.5L that and it's like 730hp and those are monsters, stage 3 5.5L TT AMG is going to be one of the most powerful cars available.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 02:37 AM   #48
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
They have a lease special around $1900 for 2019 turbo S at my Porsche dealership - seems like that’s the way to go... only 7.5 miles per year I believe... not surprising that nobody likes the California haven’t heard many good things it but 570 S seemed to be a great alternative didn’t know they have that many issues
That seems like a pretty good deal for a ‘19 Turbo S? The Turbo S is a crazy beast, all gens, 997.2, 991.2 and especially the ‘20 992. The 992 Turbo S is truly hyper car fast. I think 0 to 60 is 2.6 seconds. Even the older gens were around 3 seconds. And although 0 to 60 isn’t everything, that’s stupid fast. The 992 TS has become one car that I do dream about.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 02:44 AM   #49
Wolfgang427
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Out of your 3, the Porsche would be my choice. Auf Wiedersehen
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 02:46 AM   #50
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
That seems like a pretty good deal for a ‘19 Turbo S? The Turbo S is a crazy beast, all gens, 997.2, 991.2 and especially the ‘20 992. The 992 Turbo S is truly hyper car fast. I think 0 to 60 is 2.6 seconds. Even the older gens were around 3 seconds. And although 0 to 60 isn’t everything, that’s stupid fast. The 992 TS has become one car that I do dream about.
wow, what does it trap at?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 03:12 AM   #51
Ghost410
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I’d go 991.2 Turbo S
Ghost410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 03:18 AM   #52
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
wow, what does it trap at?
This is from Google. 10.5 seconds is remarkable.

The 992-generation 911 Turbo S will produce 640 horsepower and 590 b-ft of torque, and Porsche claims it'll reach 60 mph in 2.6 seconds (2.7 seconds for the cabriolet model), blast through the quarter-mile in 10.5 seconds, and hit a top speed of 205 mph.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 05:37 AM   #53
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I would look at an amg gt as well. I think the AMG motors have a lot of power, and the GT is well rated by the motortrend guys around the track. You have to go to a turbo or gt3 to get close in terms of power/weight which i believe >200k if you can.

AMG GTR ~ 160k 6.23 pounds/horse (pph)

911 ~ 8.849
911s ~ 8.21

Some of the tuned audis & M8s are really fast as well.
I had amg its edition 1 and now a GTR (as well as lambo) had mclaren, porsches, ferrari etc

Porsche's are a snooze fest for me now a days compared to the crazy thrilling offerings out there....

AMG GTR feels like a modern rendition of my RUF R-GT2, its so stiff, so direct, so much feedback.... not easy on the body however, its track focused first while a gt3/rs/2rs all feel SOFT for a modern GT car for me... but again ive had all the older Porsche track stuff so bit jaded in that aspect, i just think modern 911's are so damn boring

AMG GT way more thrilling, way sexier, sounds way better turbo for turbo

My mclaren/ff/f12 never left me stranded, ever.. but the constant lights and faults popping on and off were enough to say F this and jump ship
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 06:13 AM   #54
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was... actually called this morning and all gone only had a few left and it was specific to my dealership. Should have pulled the trigger but I keep looking don’t like to rush these decisions.

Thanks everyone here a lot of pointers here especially for Porsche but also Mclaren was considering certified pre- owned only need to talk to them about maintenance/ warranty packages
Old 12 October 2020, 07:05 AM   #55
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
SLS and SLS Black Series are two very different things.
Oh absolutely, however since the picture posted was of a standard SLS coupe I thought I'd add the price range for it. The Black is certainly way ahead from a collectable standpoint, but I think the standard SLS is more elegant & definitely less "in your face"; it seems more timeless to me.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 06:07 PM   #56
favre12rodgers
Banned

None of them.

Get the M8 Competition.....better tech than any of those cars, probably just as rare as the McLaren and Ferrari....and laughs at the performance specs of ALL of those cars (was tested by Car and Driver in the 0-60 at 2.5 seconds). I've heard bad bad things about the McLaren reliability....not an issue about whether you will experience a problem, but rather when....

Deals are to be had on the M8 right now, as well....lot of dealers offering 20% off. They honestly haven't sold well. They basically are the same thing as the M6 and M6 Gran Coupe (which is the 4-door version) used to be. I had the M6 Gran Coupe and it was an amazing looking car....but they priced the M8 at like $40k more than the M6 ever was and that has turned off a lot of people. I still have a year left on my F90 M5 lease but will likely go the way of the M8 after.

I've had everything but I just love the higher-end BMW M-cars. The 911 is also an awesome car...but like others said, $150k and it won't even be the best model (Turbo, Turbo S, and GT3 when it comes out will all be higher).
favre12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 07:02 PM   #57
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
If you’re looking at 718s I would be all in on a GT4. I prefer the GT4 over most 911s.
I wouldn't say no to the GTS as well.
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 07:09 PM   #58
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

2021 MERCEDES AMG SL is very affordable.

or you could be Commander Bond, on weekends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (152.9 KB, 159 views)
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 07:11 PM   #59
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
^^^^

Now we are talking. Winner!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 12:58 AM   #60
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

911 hands down.

With that budget you would well served to look at another VW group product-Audi R8. It is a magnificent car and supported by a wide dealer network. It's the most "practical" of the super cars (so is a 911 but the R8 looks more exotic )

If you can find one with a gated shifter manual transmission, buy it.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote