The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 October 2023, 01:58 AM   #61
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafis e View Post
Link to the video: https://imgur.com/a/HfyZRM2

And my baby that was taken from me too soon: https://imgur.com/a/kngKKVA
Definitely a setup…
Sorry for your loss OP!
Old 20 October 2023, 02:15 AM   #62
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

“watch your surroundings and you’ll be ok” they said

Sorry to see what happened to you. That person/friend that ran back towards you was very brave. All the best in getting your watch back. Never lose hope
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:16 AM   #63
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I thought there might be a chance that they sold it to a shady dealer/pawn shop and that it'll trade hands a few times before someone unknowingly purchases a stolen watch. Happens all the time - I'm not holding my breath but hopeful that one day it might turn up!
The other day, I saw another watch enthusiast whom I hadn't seen in probably 15 years. He told me a story that was similar to my own story. Each of us had a (non-Rolex) watch stolen, and we each got them back a decade later. In his case, a shady pawn shop was involved. He thinks the pawn shop owner might've kept the stolen watch for years and tried to sell it later, after the heat died down (which didn't work out so well for the pawn shop owner). Hopefully you'll see it again at some point.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:18 AM   #64
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew View Post
Sorry to hear about this, but glad you are ok. This was clearly a targeted setup from someone who was a club patron, or an employee - as they came straight to you and no one else. If it were me, I'd be checking with the police to see if this has happened at this club before (I'm betting it has) - and I'd talk to the club mgmt to alert them to this possibility. I doubt they want this to be an issue that gets around to other patrons.

I've always been extra careful in certain situations and locales - even more so now with this happening more frequently. Wife and I just don;t go to places where the risk is higher (whether it's risk of our watches, her other jewelry, or our vehicles). I will often go with her at times where it's borderline. Luckily, I live in a state where I have options for personal protection (best option though, is to avoid it if possible).

These incidents are the reason I just updated our jewelry insurance (updated appraisals) - a bit expensive, but great peace of mind. You don;t think it will ever happen to you - until it does. Just glad you were not physically harmed.
If he can prove that this has happened more than once then he might have a case against the club in court
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:19 AM   #65
Iyellalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sprite GMT
You guys this is a old post form someone else. Look at the date on the video. This OP guy (nafis e) is trolling. .
Iyellalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:32 AM   #66
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

My unsolicited advice: don’t live or go near places that prohibit concealed carry. Don’t do drugs. Don’t hang out with “friends” who do drugs and hide behind a wall when somebody attacks you. YMMV
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:42 AM   #67
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I am so sorry this happened to you but glad you weren't injured or worse. I hope by some miracle, you're able to get your watch back
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:43 AM   #68
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
CA is very anti firearm unfortunately… hope you find your DD. Sorry to hear.
Old 20 October 2023, 02:49 AM   #69
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Actually, not in this day and age. Going outside a nightclub at night to smoke a joint or for whatever reason resulting in someone loitering on the street at night in a big city is not the best example of "being aware of your surroundings" and "using common sense" phrases so often posted here.

lol

He was outside a popular nightclub on Sunset Blvd in WeHO. This is a crowded area full of ppl wearing more expensive watches than a DD. Not exactly an anomaly, and neither is someone smoking a joint. There are more people smoking joints on the street than cigarettes here.

And I don’t think this was an “inside job” from someone working at the club. These thieves will patrol an area like this and steal the first nice watch they see, because these watches are everywhere in that area. No need for an inside man.

In fairness, these street watch muggings in LA peaked a year or two ago and have slowed down a bit since. Obviously still happens though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:53 AM   #70
ronsetoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyellalot View Post
You guys this is a old post form someone else. Look at the date on the video. This OP guy (nafis e) is trolling. .
Sure looks like the case, but why?
ronsetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 03:17 AM   #71
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
lol

He was outside a popular nightclub on Sunset Blvd in WeHO. This is a crowded area full of ppl wearing more expensive watches than a DD. Not exactly an anomaly, and neither is someone smoking a joint. There are more people smoking joints on the street than cigarettes here.

And I don’t think this was an “inside job” from someone working at the club. These thieves will patrol an area like this and steal the first nice watch they see, because these watches are everywhere in that area. No need for an inside man.

In fairness, these street watch muggings in LA peaked a year or two ago and have slowed down a bit since. Obviously still happens though.

Thanks for the better description of the situation there.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 03:25 AM   #72
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
"And I don’t think this was an “inside job” from someone working at the club. These thieves will patrol an area like this and steal the first nice watch they see, because these watches are everywhere in that area. No need for an inside man."

Not sure I agree with the above assessment. The thieves came around the building corner and headed right to the OP - no one else. Perhaps they saw him some other way (or have a spotter looking at the entrance), but they did not hesitate a second going right to only him. It is clear they had their target before they rounded the corner - how is the question here.
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 03:49 AM   #73
LC23
"TRF" Member

stay safe out there. insurance?
Old 20 October 2023, 03:51 AM   #74
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Just wanted to say that I’m not trolling. I also posted this on the rolex subreddit a month ago which is why the post on imgur is “old”. I can prove it with my box and papers with a dated piece of paper so you can rest assured I’m the OP :)

Just wanted to also post it on the rolex forums here to spread more awareness.
nafis e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 03:56 AM   #75
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Definitely targeted. There’s another CCTV angle that I don’t have that shows the robbers putting ski masks on in the adjacent street as I’m walking down the stairs of the nightclub to go outside. Meaning someone inside told them that I’m walking out.
nafis e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 04:32 AM   #76
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
My unsolicited advice: don’t live or go near places that prohibit concealed carry. Don’t do drugs. Don’t hang out with “friends” who do drugs and hide behind a wall when somebody attacks you. YMMV

I think the OP was with woman and the thieves were armed.

He did the smart thing and put no one else in harms way.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 04:49 AM   #77
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Definitely targeted. There’s another CCTV angle that I don’t have that shows the robbers putting ski masks on in the adjacent street as I’m walking down the stairs of the nightclub to go outside. Meaning someone inside told them that I’m walking out.
What a strange world we live in. Hope you get it back or are able to move on!
Old 20 October 2023, 05:03 AM   #78
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I was gonna say, I've read that exact story before, couldn't remember if it was here or on r/watches
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 07:01 AM   #79
RustyW
"TRF" Member

Damn! Sucks!

I hope thieves everywhere get what is coming to them.
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 07:31 AM   #80
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Our younger daughter lived in Japan for several years. When we visited her, I was struck by how clean and safe Japan is. Our next-door neighbor's niece also spent a great deal of time in Japan guiding cooking tours. She relayed a story of one of her first visits to Japan, when she and a Japanese acquaintance rode bicycles to a market to purchase whatever it was they were planning on preparing that night. They left their bicycles outside the market and the niece, an American, asked the Japanese acquaintance if she was worried about the bicycles being stolen. The Japanese acquaintance paused and looked puzzled, then said, "Who would want to be a bike thief?"

Like all societies, Japan has its share of problems, but I admire their commitment to leading an honorable life. Of course, not every Japanese is a model citizen, and Japan is not crime-free, and we Westerners would probably find life in Japan to be stifling, but there is much about a culture such as Japan's that we would do well to emulate.

And to bring this story back to America, the niece died recently of a drug overdose.
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 07:52 AM   #81
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Glad you are safe, OP. So sorry that this happened to you. It definitely looks like someone in the club is working for them, they knew the exact person to target exactly at the right time.
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 07:57 AM   #82
Osmin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapiDoesItAgain View Post
I was gonna say, I've read that exact story before, couldn't remember if it was here or on r/watches
Mee too. Even with the same video.
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 08:00 AM   #83
Osmin
"TRF" Member

Here it is

https://www.reddit.com/r/rolex/s/MxjL7Is9q1
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 08:14 AM   #84
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Nasty shit, but you are 'ok' thats what counts. Hopefully you wont get a trauma from this. Stay safe.
Old 20 October 2023, 08:17 AM   #85
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

FWIW, the last time Friday was the 23rd of the month was June, so I guess this happened a while ago.
Old 20 October 2023, 08:28 AM   #86
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Robbed for my Day-Date 228238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
FWIW, the last time Friday was the 23rd of the month was June, so I guess this happened a while ago.

5/26/2023

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 08:35 AM   #87
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
5/26/2023
Oops, you're exactly right. I saw the 23 in the upper left and thought it was the date, but on closer inspection, it was the year. My mistake.
Old 20 October 2023, 08:36 AM   #88
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Sorry to hear this, OP.

Hopefully your watch finds it way back to you someday down the road.

NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 11:59 AM   #89
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

OP, you did the right thing. I know it might hurt your pride but end of the day, you’re alive and unharmed. It could have been worse, much much worse.

I had something similar happen to me and am also grateful I acted in a way that got me out of the situation without getting shot.

Violent crime is real in US cities. Doesn’t seem like it’ll change for the better any time soon so do your best to be aware of your surroundings and try not to put yourself in situations where this could happen (hard to live like that, I know). State of the world is a mess and big US cities are turning into complete disgraces.

I also insure ALL my jewelry so that if we ever get held up or something, it’s no sweat to hand it over and walk away versus having that ego telling you to not give it up that easy…getting shot ain’t worth it.

Best of luck friend.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:42 PM   #90
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Link to the video: https://imgur.com/a/HfyZRM2

And my baby that was taken from me too soon: https://imgur.com/a/kngKKVA
Glad to see that this was a legitimate post and my apologies for doubting you (although I'll doubt the next person with a 'too' interesting story and a post count of one). Wishing you the best outcome.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote