The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 March 2024, 03:53 PM   #1
PennyPug
"TRF" Member

RSC Crown replacement?

RSC requires crown replacement on 1981 Datejust in order to service watch. Would like to be able to wear the watch daily (belonged to deceased parent and was never serviced before). Seeking thoughtful advice please:

1. How does replacing crown affect collectability of watch?

2. Should I try to find an independent watch repairer to try to preserve the original crown? Concerned about finding someone reliable and trustworthy.

3. How to balance wearability with collectability?

New to this and would appreciate kind responses. Hoping will not need to sell watch and want to preserve value to pass on to relative one day. Thanks!
PennyPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 05:49 PM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

The crown on a datejust isn't of particular real value to be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

An independent can do the work and they will likely give you back the original. Just keep it for completeness.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 06:46 PM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would not think twice about it. In fact, I would ask them to replace the tube as well, peace of mind with water resitance.
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 06:50 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPug View Post
RSC requires crown replacement on 1981 Datejust in order to service watch. Would like to be able to wear the watch daily (belonged to deceased parent and was never serviced before). Seeking thoughtful advice please:

1. How does replacing crown affect collectability of watch?

2. Should I try to find an independent watch repairer to try to preserve the original crown? Concerned about finding someone reliable and trustworthy.

3. How to balance wearability with collectability?

New to this and would appreciate kind responses. Hoping will not need to sell watch and want to preserve value to pass on to relative one day. Thanks!
Things like crowns are often replaced at service,crown tubes are always replaced and replacing the crown will not effect what value you watch has.And would doubt if any DJ from the 1980s or most other DJ watches will be collectible simply millions of them around.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 09:37 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
No issue with replacing the crown. Great watch. Do the complete service and have years of wear.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 11:03 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

If this were an older and more collectible reference, you might be getting different advice. But for a 1980s DJ, I agree that it doesn't make much of a difference. Most people don't think about it.
Old 20 March 2024, 12:18 AM   #7
PennyPug
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the advice.

Dial is burl (dark brown, mahogany I think). Not sure if this is collectable. Thanks again.
Old 20 March 2024, 12:23 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPug View Post
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the advice.

Dial is burl (dark brown, mahogany I think). Not sure if this is collectable. Thanks again.
Everything is collectible, just not at the same level. 1981 DJ's, regardless of the dial, are not of the rare-collectable variety. Your family story and it's value to you is greater than its market value.
Old 20 March 2024, 01:37 AM   #9
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Unless you have an old watch with a Brevet crown that they want to replace to a modern crown, replacing the crown on a semi-modern watch is not a concern for collectability
Old 20 March 2024, 02:17 AM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

They want to offer you a 2 year warranty, and understandably can’t do so without ensuring the case is water resistant. You can always ask them (RSC) for the old crown back, but you'll pay more for the new crown if you do.

I’m having my 74 Speedmaster serviced by an independent Omega certified watchmaker. I'm getting new crown and pushers installed and will keep the original ones in a bag. They're fairly easy to reinstall if a future buyer/collector prefer originality over water resistance. For me, water and dust resistance are important, as I want to minimize humidity and debris entering the case as much as possible.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2024, 06:36 AM   #11
PennyPug
"TRF" Member

Thanks again everyone. Grateful for your expertise and helpful responses. Happy to know the watch is not a collectible so I can stop caring about that aspect.🤣👍🤣
Old 1 April 2024, 11:24 AM   #12
designer_wrench
"TRF" Member

I'd assume a new crown would also greatly increase the water resistance?
designer_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote