The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2018, 01:54 AM   #1
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Vegas - PT DD40 with Green Anniversary Dial

Just like Rolex allows any SS Skydweller dial to be specially ordered on a WG model...ala the Blue WG Skydweller seen on one of our TFS site, I was in Las Vegas last weekend and saw a PT DD40 with Anniversary Green Olive dial.

I believe that you can special order any PT DD40 with any WG dial you want..including the 60th anniversary Olive dial.

It was stunning. It had the non-fluted bezel so I am not sure if the "play" with the deconstructed romans and the light was less or different than the play between the WG version with the fluted bezel.....but as good as it looks in WG.....that olive dial on the that cold frosted white platinum metal....incredible....If I were to get a PT watch, I always assumed it would be with glacier blue dial but the olive and PT looks absolutely amazing.
Jeffreyc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 02:53 AM   #2
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
Would have loved to see some pics of this!
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 02:54 AM   #3
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post
I think you can configure this on rolex official website. Look stunning.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 05:26 AM   #4
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
I think you can configure this on rolex official website. Look stunning.
Yes, you can configure any WG dial......the blue roman; olive green roman; rhodium striped dial on a PT model....which just means no fluted bezel.

I know that it may be "blasphemous" to even think about spending DD40 PT money on anything but the ice blue diagonal or quadrant dials....and that it may not be as "creative" to get any deconstructed romans on a dial without the interplay of the accompanying fluted bezel.....but.....seeing the blue and olive green and even striped rhodium on a PT DD40 makes you realize how special the piece is even without a glacier dial!

I am probably one of the few here who would spend the money to get the WG Blue Skydweller even though offered in SS and WG bezel. The look, feel, warmth and weight is so different between WG and Steel.

Its like having 2 hamburgers that look exactly the same. And they both are really good burgers. But the expensive one, although looking the same, feels different in the hand because maybe its an artisan bun or kobe beef...organic veggies.....and of course the expensive one tastes so much better. But you cant tell that from just looking at the burgers.....you have to feel it and taste it.....well to me that's the difference between SS/WG/PT.....maybe they look similar enough...but they don't feel the same....on or off the wrist....in terms of weight....and they don't really look the same......there is a warmth to WG and a coldness to PT that sets them apart when you own and compare.
Jeffreyc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 05:46 AM   #5
Malibuboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMUUURF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyc87 View Post

its like having 2 hamburgers that look exactly the same. And they both are really good burgers. But the expensive one, although looking the same, feels different in the hand because maybe its an artisan bun or kobe beef...organic veggies.....and of course the expensive one tastes so much better. But you cant tell that from just looking at the burgers.....you have to feel it and taste it.....well to me that's the difference between ss/wg/pt.....maybe they look similar enough...but they don't feel the same....on or off the wrist....in terms of weight....and they don't really look the same......there is a warmth to wg and a coldness to pt that sets them apart when you own and compare.

brilliant!

+1
Malibuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 07:46 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer my wg olive Dd to my old pt quadrant and agree as you describe may be even better. I can say that the olive dial wg Got me over the hump with regards to owning a flute. But I’d probably enjoy the smooth even more
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 08:48 AM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
TBH, I think the stick dial looks best with the smooth bezel on the platinum DD's. The motif stick dial on the platty DD40 makes me weak at the knees.

The way the Romans reflect the light and blend in with the fluted bezel is just pure magic.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 08:49 PM   #8
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote