The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2023, 04:20 AM   #1
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Will AP revisit its vintage catalog again?

Not too long ago AP release the [re]master01 a vintage reissue of a rare chronograph from the 1940s.

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...Emaster01.html

While I wasn't too big a fan of this release, the SS/RG combo + thickness doesn't do it for me. I would be very interested in seeing this collection extend into their vintage catalog and see more remasters in the future.

Has anyone heard anything of them doing another remaster or was this just a weird one-off kind of thing?
Old 17 October 2023, 05:42 AM   #2
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

The firsts code 11 59 looks a lot like the remaster. Same hands, numerals,
Chrono subdials, …
TheHolyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 05:48 AM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I love some of their older perpetual calendars etc but at this point, I think AP is just the Royal Oak lol.

I dont know anyone that has purchased anything other than the RO/ROO out of their own free will. Just bundling into Codes...
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 07:42 AM   #4
DadFuelBBQ
"TRF" Member

Get over the Code hate, plenty of people appreciate them and bought them on their own free will.
DadFuelBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 07:50 AM   #5
Gandor
"TRF" Member

I wrote a long post on reddit about the codes. They're actually really great now and I've even started to like the gen 1 codes, but I think gen 2 are perfect.
Old 17 October 2023, 08:31 AM   #6
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Wish they brought back the Jules Audemars. AP used to have great sports watches
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 08:53 AM   #7
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I love some of their older perpetual calendars etc but at this point, I think AP is just the Royal Oak lol.

I dont know anyone that has purchased anything other than the RO/ROO out of their own free will. Just bundling into Codes...
Sounds like you don't know many people that are into watches.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 09:11 AM   #8
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

code 11 is killing it. I wear my ss Chronograph more than my 15510. can't wait to get starwheel next (long wait). would much rather have a starwheel than a 16202
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 11:47 AM   #9
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post

Bold statement. I want a Code and I've made it very clear to my SA.

Watch me get one. At my own free will.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 01:03 PM   #10
rapide66
"TRF" Member

While all the recent talk is about the Code, I actually kind of prefer the Millenary and some of the Jules (e.g. Chronograph).
Old 17 October 2023, 01:54 PM   #11
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I really like most of what was in the JA lineup. The Jules chrono is a bit too thick but an absolute jaw dropping beauty. I would surmise that a reincarnation of the Jules line at current pricing would get lambasted. Essentially that’s the problem with the Code: not the worst looking watch ever but priced out of its range.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 04:03 PM   #12
lucasalce
"TRF" Member

The Jules, Edward and Millenary were all flops. The code is steps ahead of these watches in my oppinion.

Would love for AP to bring out a new remaster chrono or QP but they need a new movement. The current automatic chrono caliber is too thick, would be super cool to have a thin manual wind chrono, that would give off the vintage vibes. Sames goes with the QP, cal 2121 is thin but lets move on from it with a more user friendly QP.
lucasalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 05:01 PM   #13
rapide66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasalce View Post
The Jules, Edward and Millenary were all flops. The code is steps ahead of these watches in my oppinion.

Would love for AP to bring out a new remaster chrono or QP but they need a new movement. The current automatic chrono caliber is too thick, would be super cool to have a thin manual wind chrono, that would give off the vintage vibes. Sames goes with the QP, cal 2121 is thin but lets move on from it with a more user friendly QP.
I am a big fan of the Starwheel but I think it is still premature to judge the success of the Code relative to those previous lines.

Only in these recent couple of years have AP started to limit allocations of the RO, and encourage its customers to buy from other lines such as the ROO and Code in order to build a "spend history".
Old 17 October 2023, 09:08 PM   #14
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I really like most of what was in the JA lineup. The Jules chrono is a bit too thick but an absolute jaw dropping beauty. I would surmise that a reincarnation of the Jules line at current pricing would get lambasted. Essentially that’s the problem with the Code: not the worst looking watch ever but priced out of its range.
The ''basic'' three hander in WG/RG is around 36K euro
As a comparison PP newly released Calatravas in WG with red, yellow or blue hand is 39K.
The 5226G and 5225R are almost 42K.
Only the 6119 is a bit cheaper at 33K.

Looking at VC, the Partimony is similarly priced as well, while the Fifty Six is cheaper but the movement is not in-house.

So yes, the Code is not cheap and has gone significantly in price but compared to other trinity brands it's fairly in line
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 09:42 PM   #15
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I own a code and a RO. If I had to pick one it’s an easy winner, the code. The construction of the case is next level. Amazing watch and I am looking forward to getting my next one.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 09:58 PM   #16
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
The ''basic'' three hander in WG/RG is around 36K euro
As a comparison PP newly released Calatravas in WG with red, yellow or blue hand is 39K.
The 5226G and 5225R are almost 42K.
Only the 6119 is a bit cheaper at 33K.

Looking at VC, the Partimony is similarly priced as well, while the Fifty Six is cheaper but the movement is not in-house.

So yes, the Code is not cheap and has gone significantly in price but compared to other trinity brands it's fairly in line
You are correct in this comparison. I’d lean towards the others at this price point if I had to choose. But to be honest, I’d steer away from the Code and save the money for something else. That’s why I feel it’s overpriced. At 40ish K, I’d much rather buy another car or take my family on a few nice vacations.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:59 PM   #17
raclaims
"TRF" Member

My biggest issue with the codes is the lack of legibility. At least they’ve said they know it’s a problem and plan to address it moving forward so I’m looking forward to that progression

I have the new steel chrono with ceramic center case and it’s awesome - yet still hard to read the time!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:16 AM   #18
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
My biggest issue with the codes is the lack of legibility. At least they’ve said they know it’s a problem and plan to address it moving forward so I’m looking forward to that progression

I have the new steel chrono with ceramic center case and it’s awesome - yet still hard to read the time!

Just wondering whether the legibility issue is linked specifically to the dial color of the two-tone model? I have the steel Code chrono in blue and really don’t see any major issues here.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote