The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 April 2015, 11:42 AM   #1
Cuong_syd
"TRF" Member

The first sratch. Very light but hurt so bad :(

My baby was in a bad mood and crying the whole night. This morning i was like walking in the moon and a walk through the door. Very light contact between the door handle and the watch. My heart skipped a beat. Now it has a very light scratch on the bezel.

The scratch is on 3.30 oclock.

I know some of you will kindly smooth me with "adding character to the watch" thing, but im kinda perfectionist freak. I can not surpass this and keep my eye off it.

Now come a question:
Im willing to pay few hundred usd for this to disappear. I know this scratch can be esialy remove by a good watchmaker since its very light. Can i make an appointment with AP service centrel in Singapore, bring it in and collect after a day with only that part polishing?

Should i bring it to independent watchmaker that skillful enough to do so? In that case, he must located in Singapore as well since i dont have change to go anywhere else in short period. Will it void my warranty? The watch is only 4 months old.

Thanks you guys.
Cuong_syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 11:47 AM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Man you're gonna have it removed and will have a new one shortly afterwards, I also have 3-4 hairlines on my 5712 bezel, so sure I prefer it without scratches but they are only visible when light hits the bezel at a certain angle, so apart if you get a watch with ceramic bezel you will have scratches, I think it's a bad idea to get this small scratch removed, there will be plenty more at the 1st service after 5 years so I would let them take care of it then, if you really can't take it maybe it's better to flip and get one with ceramic bezel? The RO and Nautilus have that same flat brushed bezel which looks great but is not great for scratches, it's inherent to these models, if I couldn't take the scratches I would get other watches as my 2 are both Nautilus...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 11:50 AM   #3
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Is the scratch at 3:30 or 3:17? Either way you will hate my response but AP bezels are scratch magnets and there will be more to come. I wouldnt let ANYONE touch that other than an AP service center. My suggestion is to wait a few years and when due for service have them lightly clean up the bezel. I hate scratches too but it comes with actually wearing a watch vs keeping a damn safe queen.
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

What will you do WHEN you get the next one or the one after that? You can't keep getting it polished out as that removes metal everytime, which in this instance is gold. IMO the first one feels the worst but also looks the worst as it's so out of place as the only one. Once you get some more it will even out a little bit and be less noticeable. It's your watch so by all means fo as you wish, I would just say think about future scratches and what you will do then.
Old 17 April 2015, 12:12 PM   #5
Cuong_syd
"TRF" Member

Its an hour past by. I've calmed myself a bit :D
Actually i do acknowledge that Rose gold royal oak is scratch magnet but can not resist it beauty and pull a trigger. I always extra careful when wearing this watch but this sleepness night caught me off guard.

I did some research, i heard that after a year or two i can send the wstch in for additional 3 year warranty. Will they remove the scratch by then?
Actually i could possibly going to Gemarny this july. Will there any easygoing solution for scratch remover can be done there in Europe?

Best regards.

Cuong.
Old 17 April 2015, 12:22 PM   #6
FightOnSC!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP. Rolex. The end
oh man, this is a subject I am all too familiar with.

Listen, at the end of the day you're going to get another scratch. So my suggestion is this: wait for 2 or 3 years. See how many scratches you accumulate by then.

Chances are, you will be used to the scratches. But guess what? if you're not, it's time for a service to the watch and you can get the scratches removed then.

but polishing a watch each time you get a scratch is dumb as hell and not a good way to keep the metal on your watch.

you WILL get over it. Trust me. And I nitpick over sh*t like you won't believe.

the first cut is always the deepest. but never forget, no one else will notice that scratch but you.
FightOnSC! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 12:51 PM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuong_syd View Post
Its an hour past by. I've calmed myself a bit :D
Actually i do acknowledge that Rose gold royal oak is scratch magnet but can not resist it beauty and pull a trigger. I always extra careful when wearing this watch but this sleepness night caught me off guard.

I did some research, i heard that after a year or two i can send the wstch in for additional 3 year warranty. Will they remove the scratch by then?
Actually i could possibly going to Gemarny this july. Will there any easygoing solution for scratch remover can be done there in Europe?

Best regards.

Cuong.
They will remove only if you ask them to and at your own expense, even if servicing it, polishing doesn't come part of the service, it's extra. And whatever you do don't give it to other than AP, same for Patek, fir these kind of watches and to keep the bezel like it must be only the makers no independents….
Old 17 April 2015, 01:02 PM   #8
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I would leave it, you will get more and just have it polished out at service

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 01:43 PM   #9
Cuong_syd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
They will remove only if you ask them to and at your own expense, even if servicing it, polishing doesn't come part of the service, it's extra. And whatever you do don't give it to other than AP, same for Patek, fir these kind of watches and to keep the bezel like it must be only the makers no independents….
Ok, i've got it. Thank you.

Maybe i should start looking for another watch with ceramic bezel now. Anyway does ceramic bezel scratch free? Any recommend model? I prefer this kind of 26320 chrono proportions.

Thanks.
Old 17 April 2015, 02:19 PM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, i've got it. Thank you.

Maybe i should start looking for another watch with ceramic bezel now. Anyway does ceramic bezel scratch free? Any recommend model? I prefer this kind of 26320 chrono proportions.

Thanks.
Ceramic bezel is 99% scratch free, very hard to scratch or chip, almost impossible as far as I know, if you really can't stand scratches then definitely get a ceramic bezel watch
Old 17 April 2015, 03:56 PM   #11
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
If that scratch bothers you you have bought the wrong watch IMHO, the vertical brushing of the Bezel make scratches (especially the ones going horisontally) really show, the downside of this type of watch for sure, but you cannot avaid them unfotunatly...

Live with them or buy another watch, because you cannot polish the bezel every time you get a scratch...
Omega - Speedy PRO
masterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 04:27 PM   #12
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
To polish the bezel properly, the case has to be disassembled. You can't just refinish the scratched area. It looks bad if you do.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 07:49 PM   #13
mineral
"TRF" Member

I suggest to leave it as sooner or later you will pick up few more scratches and it is unavoidable not to scratch the bezel if you wear it. Enjoy the watch.
mineral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 08:17 PM   #14
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I call it character
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 09:05 PM   #15
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
First one cuts the most. Enjoy your watch there will be more. You will eventually ignore it
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 09:22 PM   #16
Cuong_syd
"TRF" Member

Im seriously consider a ceramic watch now. Can you guy recommend me a watch that i can wear with 100% confident and carelessly that i might ruin its perfection? Any particular AP model? Im thinking about rolex daytona chocolate ceramic too. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 17 April 2015, 09:37 PM   #17
Cuong_syd
"TRF" Member

Im seriously consider a ceramic watch now. Can you guy recommend me a watch that i can wear with 100% confident and carelessly that i might ruin its perfection? Any particular AP model? Im thinking about rolex daytona chocolate ceramic too. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 17 April 2015, 10:13 PM   #18
csi-n
"TRF" Member

Yep, that hurts. Sorry to see it happen but it will happen again and again as long as you wear it. If I were you, I would leave it alone and just enjoy that beautiful watch as-is.

Sam
csi-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 11:07 PM   #19
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Ceramic AP Diver
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 11:36 PM   #20
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Ceramic AP Diver
Well ... The right knock might chip it and you will be in a world of pain as it can't be fixed.
Old 18 April 2015, 09:11 PM   #21
Cuong_syd
"TRF" Member

Well, i've done some reading today. Look like every RO bezel can only take up to 3-4 times polishing. Just curious, do any of you know how much does it cost for a replacement of rose gold bezel? Thanks.
Old 18 April 2015, 11:42 PM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You're going to want to trade for a RG 44 novelty, ceramic diver, or any Rolex with ceramic bezel. It's too costly to be constantly sending your watch for polish and replacing expensive gold bezels.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 12:52 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's a beautiful watch and it's a great shame to sell it because of the psychological/emotional stress of a scratch on an expensive luxury item. Apart from a ceramic substitute idea, I would suggest you get it polished in 6 months by AP. That way you can relax and not worry if it gets another as you know it will be perfect in 6 months. Also by the time 6 months comes you probably will be more relaxed and less precious about your watch, as most of us become after a while, and you may not want to even have it polished at all by then and think the scratches add character and make the watch truly your own... and push back the polish another 6 months.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 02:41 AM   #24
RyanNL
"TRF" Member

Dont get it polished! The dissassembly and assembly of the watch are situations which are very likely to get additional scratches. The refinished parts are likely to be a bit off from other parts which is equally frustrating. Flip it or put it in a drawer for two weeks. Than you know if you really want to sell it because of the tiny scratch
RyanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2015, 01:34 AM   #25
Cuong_syd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's a beautiful watch and it's a great shame to sell it because of the psychological/emotional stress of a scratch on an expensive luxury item. Apart from a ceramic substitute idea, I would suggest you get it polished in 6 months by AP. That way you can relax and not worry if it gets another as you know it will be perfect in 6 months. Also by the time 6 months comes you probably will be more relaxed and less precious about your watch, as most of us become after a while, and you may not want to even have it polished at all by then and think the scratches add character and make the watch truly your own... and push back the polish another 6 months.
Sound like a way to go :d

I actually feel better after few days. Not all over it though...
Old 20 April 2015, 07:16 AM   #26
BZA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
I would leave it, you will get more and just have it polished out at service
^^This
Previous:[/B] 1: Rolex 16610 Y 2002 2: Rolex Daytona V 2008 3: Rolex 16610LV Z 2007 4: Rolex Milgauss 116400GV V 2008 5: Panerai Luminor Marina PR PAM 93 2005 6: AP ROO Diver H 2013 7: Rolex DJ II Slate w/ Grn Romans Random 2013 8:Panerai Submersible Ti PAM 25 2013
BZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2015, 09:16 AM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Sound like a way to go :d

I actually feel better after few days. Not all over it though...
You'll get there, it's def worth it. Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2015, 06:39 PM   #28
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Any time i get a scratch or find a scratch i just say yolo. It actually gets me through
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2015, 01:01 AM   #29
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Got my first ding after five months. Annoyed me as someone hit me with their watch when they made an abrupt hand gesture. But it's alright. Have other problems to OCD about.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote