The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Xander
"TRF" Member

How to sell a Rolex if one is "unknown?"

What would be the best way to sell a Rolex online if one isn't a regular online seller, and doesn't have a reputation? Would it be easiest to allow a buyer to pay after receipt of the watch? I have a modest Rolex I want to sell, but would rather not have to limit myself to local buyers. I am a newbie buyer, and would feel more comfortable buying if I knew that I could also sell without having to sell wholesale to a dealer. Please note that I am not trying to get around the "For Sale" rules, I am just curious what the best method is.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 06:19 AM   #2
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Stick around; put in your time; increase your post count.

Good luck!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 06:25 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticajoe View Post
stick around; put in your time; increase your post count.

Good luck!
x2

I wouldn't send the watch until you are paid.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Xander
"TRF" Member

Got it. Is there a way to sell a watch without waiting a year? For example, is there a consignment shop that you could recomend? Someone who lists things professionally on Ebay, perhaps?
Old 12 September 2011, 06:36 AM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Got it. Is there a way to sell a watch without waiting a year? For example, is there a consignment shop that you could recomend? Someone who lists things professionally on Ebay, perhaps?
Not that I am aware of, doesn't mean there isn't somebody. Anyway not sure how much better a service like this would be over you selling directly to a Jewler or AD. All three are going to want to take a percentage or in other words give you less than what you might be able to get from selling it directly yourself.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 06:37 AM   #6
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Why are you waiting a year?
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
For one to purchase a watch online, they must buy the seller first and foremost, and in that sense as a seller, your reputation is everything. Sadly there are no shortcuts in gaining a strong reputation.

If you're in a hurry to sell, then may I recommend a bricks & mortar shop. If you're in no hurry, then stick around, get to know the community and hopefully you'll be able to reach a mutually beneficial sale with a reputable buyer in no time, there's no reason it should take a year!
Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 06:38 AM   #8
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Depending on the model you're selling, you can also try contacting one of the many reputable sellers here. They may have interest if there is demand for the watch.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 06:46 AM   #9
Xander
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. All sound advice.
Old 12 September 2011, 06:48 AM   #10
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Xander, as a seller, you MUST buy the buyer too. Be careful as there are lots of fake buyers around.

Quote:
"Would it be easiest to allow a buyer to pay after receipt of the watch?"
Please don't send your watch this way. You will definitely lose the watch if you haven't check on your buyer.
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 06:56 AM   #11
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
I don't quite get why people say "don't send the watch until you're paid"... Why should people send money without getting a watch first? The argument could EASILY be made both ways. If there is a reputable buyer/seller on the board, why not ship first and get paid after? (Make sure to verify who you're dealing with!).

I posted a WTB for an IWC a few months back and got a response by someone who just signed up to respond to me. I told him I was very uneasy about buying a watch from an "unknown" and he offered to ship me the watch first.

He shipped me the watch overnight (the only way it should be done) insured and it was perfect. After a quick inspection, I dropped a bank draft in the mail (as per his request). Probably the smoothest transaction I ever had.

We both did our diligence to ensure the identity of each other (was pretty easy as we both were easily trackable online).

I still am puzzled why people think it's ok to send money first, but, not product first.
Old 12 September 2011, 07:16 AM   #12
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1988 View Post
For one to purchase a watch online, they must buy the seller first and foremost, and in that sense as a seller, your reputation is everything. Sadly there are no shortcuts in gaining a strong reputation.

If you're in a hurry to sell, then may I recommend a bricks & mortar shop. If you're in no hurry, then stick around, get to know the community and hopefully you'll be able to reach a mutually beneficial sale with a reputable buyer in no time, there's no reason it should take a year!
Well said.
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 07:23 AM   #13
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
I'd say eBay. Just post lots of pics, give lots of info and answer all questions.
Also if you "price it right" there are hundreds of re-sellers that will but it so they can sell it "for a wee bit more" because they are "trusted".

OR find a friend that has been on eBay since a long time and have them sell it for you. Just don't have him say "I'm selling for a friend"!!! I've been on eBay since 1998 if you wan't to become "good friends"
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 07:25 AM   #14
BSRacing
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18k daydate 118238
You could use an escrow company

Escrow company's can close personal as well as real property transactions. Just like real estate, you write a Purchase and sale agreement put the watch on deposit with the escrow company and then when purchaser delivers money to the escrow company the watch is release to the buyer and the money is release to the seller (a modest fee is paid to the escrow officer.) not all escrow companies will do close personal property so you may have to shop around, also if you trust attorneys they can do escrow.

Personnally I would use a national or internaional company Like Chicago Title who is affiliated with Fidelity.

I would not purchase anything from anyone on line that did not have a good rep. when buying or selling anything of that kind of value I would not give you my money until I had whatever it was I was buying and if I where selling I would not ship it til I had $ not a check the cash. you know after the check cleared or if it was credit card equally risky since all a purchaser has to do is stop payment. a real catch 22. and would not necessarily trust the services offered by ebay or craigslist. To bad so many scams and bad folks running around. I do not have a very favorable opinion of attorneys either, know many and they dont trust each other either, why should I.

Good luck, by the way what is it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex (451x800).jpg (185.6 KB, 144 views)
BSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 07:25 AM   #15
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
If you are easily identifiable and can be independently verified online, people in the same country and certainly the same state would probably feel safe buying from you. For instance, I am on the faculty of a prominent medical school and work at a highly regarded hospital. You could look me up online and call my administrative assistant, or department directly to contact me and confirm that I am who I say I am. I could still try to scam you, or be a difficult buyer/seller, but you will know who I am and where to find/sue me. That's really all you can hope for.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 07:30 AM   #16
Xander
"TRF" Member

Mickey, I would never trust a carpet-bagging Yankees fan who lived in Atlanta.
Old 12 September 2011, 07:35 AM   #17
Deepsea Florida
"TRF" Member

Next time you are in New York or Miami...sell it there
Deepsea Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 07:57 AM   #18
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Icon14

Quote:
Mickey, I would never trust a carpet-bagging Yankees fan who lived in Atlanta.
OUCH!

And just so you know I am an "occupying force" as I tell my Southern "friends" you know "We won the war"!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote