The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2019, 09:59 AM   #1
mjr24
Banned

$15k to spend....buy Hulk or sell TT CHNR and get full gold?

Have about $15k set aside right now.

My ultimate lineup would be the 116710LN (which I own), my Navitimer (which I own), a Hulk, and a full gold 126715 CHNR.

Do I buy a Hulk now and save up for the CHNR in the future? Or do I sell my third watch, the TT CHNR, and then put the $15k towards the full gold CHNR?

My worry is the Hulk will keep going up....whereas if I wait on the full
gold CHNR, I think there is a good chance the price drops a little since it’s still relatively new right now.

I know some will say I’m nuts for paying $14k for a Hulk....but it was like $11,500 this time last year. Who knows if it will be $17,500 this time next year and then I’ll wish I had pulled the trigger now.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:12 AM   #2
zjd168
"TRF" Member

if the full gold CHNR is in your ultimate list, it would make sense to let go the TT CHNR.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:14 AM   #3
mjr24
Banned

I know that. That isn’t what I’m asking.
Old 12 June 2019, 10:22 AM   #4
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post

My ultimate lineup would be the 116710LN (which I own), my Navitimer (which I own), a Hulk, and a full gold 126715 CHNR.

Do I buy a Hulk now and save up for the CHNR in the future? Or do I sell my third watch, the TT CHNR, and then put the $15k towards the full gold CHNR?

gold CHNR, I think there is a good chance the price drops a little since it’s still relatively new right now.

I know some will say I’m nuts for paying $14k for a Hulk....but it was like $11,500 this time last year. Who knows if it will be $17,500 this time next year and then I’ll wish I had pulled the trigger now.
It seems to be going up weekly. I literally commented on Watchfinder having my 2016 model up at £13650 end of last week - today it's at £13950
I would grab it now personally
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:24 AM   #5
Jidonsu
"TRF" Member

Buy the Hulk. Save more cash for the gold CHNR and flip the TT when the time comes.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 | Rolex 114060 | Rolex 116710BLNR | Tudor Black Bay GMT | Tudor Pelagos Blue | IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince |
Jidonsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:25 AM   #6
aphil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN

My answer is heavily driven by the fact that I just tried on a full gold CHNR last week. Had a nice chat with the manager, he told me the only interesting thing he has in the back is a full gold CHNR, I said I’m not going to buy but I’d like to see it.

My jaw dropped the moment I saw it. I literally said “holy sh*t” (and it’s not a word I regularly use around strangers). The shade of rose gold is just spot on, the heft of it, the way the bezel blends so nicely with the full gold frame, the RG hour marking surroundings, all was just perfect.

For me, I’d trade up the TT CHNR into a full gold CHNR in a heartbeat. I will also acknowledge the fact that I was never a huge fan of the hulk either.

Here’s a picture from last week ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:28 AM   #7
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I don't advocate paying nearly double retail for a watch, so I would go the route that gets you the full PM CHNR.

However, I am not sure how your math is working. It sounds like you are saying you can sell the TT CHNR for ~15k and then you have another 15k to spend. That's 30k. But isn't the full PM CHNR 36k plus?
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:29 AM   #8
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
My answer is heavily driven by the fact that I just tried on a full gold CHNR last week. Had a nice chat with the manager, he told me the only interesting thing he has in the back is a full gold CHNR, I said I’m not going to buy but I’d like to see it.

My jaw dropped the moment I saw it. I literally said “holy sh*t” (and it’s not a word I regularly use around strangers). The shade of rose gold is just spot on, the heft of it, the way the bezel blends so nicely with the full gold frame, the RG hour marking surroundings, all was just perfect.

For me, I’d trade up the TT CHNR into a full gold CHNR in a heartbeat. I will also acknowledge the fact that I was never a huge fan of the hulk either.

Here’s a picture from last week ;)

I've always wanted to sample that heft you mention on an all gold piece. How much heavier does it feel that the standard current submariner?
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:30 AM   #9
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:

the hulk will eventually come down.......this craziness will normalize at some point.

I LOVE the all gold CHNR, while I'm not a huge fan of the TT CHNR-- the latter of which I tried on and was offered.

The all gold CHNR is only one of 2 all gold watches I would wear. It's just stunning.
Sell the TT version and put that $15K towards it.

And for the record, I own the hulk and love it, but wouldn't pay above retail for it.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:32 AM   #10
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
I've always wanted to sample that heft you mention on an all gold piece. How much heavier does it feel that the standard current submariner?
It's very noticeable for the first couple minutes and then you just get used to it.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:50 AM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:

Go gold imo

20190531_191759-980x1031.jpg

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:51 AM   #12
aphil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post

For someone who wears a SS sub / other watches on leather straps, I would say considerably heavier, but never in a cumbersome way. Just in a weirdly satisfying way. And as everybody else mentioned, I am personally against paying over retail, so fill gold would make better value in my opinion.

aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:03 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
if the full gold CHNR is in your ultimate list, it would make sense to let go the TT CHNR.
Have the TT CHNR and have to agree with others, trade it back for full Everose. Hulk is nice and am sure your AD will get you one when you're ready after full-on Everose purchase. Frankly, i might go full Everose CHNR at some point as it looks so friggen fantastic. But WOW the price of TT versus full Everose is quite high.

Do not pay 14 for a Hulk, that's crazy... and again am sure your AD will source after all gold Rolex purchase.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:03 AM   #14
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Full gold CHNR. I wasn’t remotely interested in the watch and then I saw it at my AD and let me tell you, it’s a stunner
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:04 AM   #15
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

full gold
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:07 AM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The Hulk is just the flavor of the week, solid gold GMT is forever!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:13 AM   #17
Bigblu10
Banned

Go with the full RG GMT. Nicest one in the lineup IMHO.
Paying 14K for a 9K Hulk is just dumb. Great watch but simply a waste of money to pay anything over MSRP.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:17 AM   #18
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I always advocate going for the watch your REALLY want. ASAP. Otherwise you will still be waiting and planning to get it whatever else you have. Only by having the r will you know whether it’s the ONE.

toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:23 AM   #19
Goldnlivin
"TRF" Member

Go RG CHNR... what a beautiful time piece! There’s nothing like a PM Rolex. Hulk is great but between the two id go RG first. Down the road, pick the hulk up! I think the hulk is hitting a ceiling in price! Good luck with your decision!
Goldnlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:25 AM   #20
mjr24
Banned

Yeah, trust me.....not real thrilled about having to spend $5k premium on a Sub but the market is the market. The way SS prices have been....I don’t see them coming down and, if anything, I can see the Hulk going up if they discontinue it next year at Basel.

I look at the Batman as sort of a guide......I think we all would have agreed the price of the Batman was going to go down once they released the same model on the jubilee.....but the opposite has happened. It continues to go up by the day it seems.

As for CHNR pricing, I am betting I can find a pre owned one for $32-33k.....sell TT for half that....and be about there.

The crappy thing is I can’t find either the Hulk or CHNR anywhere to try on. Thus, I’ll make sure whoever I buy from has a return policy in case they don’t thrill me in person.
Old 12 June 2019, 11:56 AM   #21
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I would personally sell tt chnr and move to full rg
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 12:03 PM   #22
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know that. That isn’t what I’m asking.
your question: Or do I sell my third watch, the TT CHNR, and then put the $15k towards the full gold CHNR?

hence my answer. No?
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 12:18 PM   #23
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

New movement in the CHNR is a huge plus over the Sub. I had the Hulk and it’s a great $10k watch and that’s as much as it’s worth. I purchased my LVc below msrp and it wasn’t that long ago.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:10 PM   #24
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Don’t buy into the hype and pay over MSRP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:22 PM   #25
brandog
Banned

Lol the Hulk is already at $17,500 if you want a full set with box, papers, cards.

$14,000 will probably get you a incomplete set.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:25 PM   #26
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
For me this one any day!

Old 12 June 2019, 02:29 PM   #27
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I would go with the full gold CHNR if I had the option because I think it's a gorgeous watch.
Old 12 June 2019, 02:47 PM   #28
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
I wouldn't pay over MSRP for a Hulk. I'd go TT CHNR (which I did).

The solid everose is nice, but a little too gaudy in my opinion. I had the two side by side at the AD and chose the TT. But this like everything else is a personal choice. The only solid gold Rolex that I like is the DD. The others not so much.

Solid gold sport watches are way too guido for my tastes.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 02:53 PM   #29
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Had a chance to try on the full gold CHNR a few months back. Amazing watch. However, think I’m in the minority here, I find the steel on the TT helps the RG pop a bit more, so style wise I actually like it just a hair more. But if you have the same holy s**t reaction as the other poster, go for it!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 03:30 PM   #30
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
Buy what you like, but dont pay premium
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote