The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 August 2019, 09:23 PM   #61
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Not that much misery when we look at our MSRP-paid-for-Nautilus(es)
Lol. I meant the rich people that complain.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 11:34 PM   #62
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
All these PP/Rolex threads are a little tiresome. Yes, a few are going to make a quick buck. They’re not watch lovers, they’re in it for the money, or to be able to purchase up the chain. There’s many of us watch lovers who’d just like to be able to purchase and wear them at mrsp. But, the balance here is that most of us feel comfortable that by choosing correctly, we can wear different pieces without losing a heap of cash when we tire of it and want a change. In an ideal world, we’d have it both ways. In the real world it doesn’t happen.
As someone said above, a basic SS watch for that money? Not me!!
Not watch lovers? What are you talking about, I’ve “lost” on countless watch sales to generate funds for the next one. Nice to get a win every now and again
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 01:18 AM   #63
Commonproject
Banned

None of the 5164/5711/5712 have been selling recently, at least on TRF. There are 5164's listed now for $55k/$56K/$57K
Commonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 06:29 AM   #64
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
As someone who is irritated by the madness in the market (i.e., bubble), I can genuinely say to you that this is flat out wrong in the 100% sense. Though your statement probably does apply to 95% of people out there.

I can and do get these at MSRP. I wouldn't flip for a huge profit because that would be disrespectful to the relationship and trust I have with my AD. Furthermore, in response to that disrespect, I would lose the trust and thus won't be able to get future ones at MSRP.

We are upset that market forces (whether natural or unnatural) have created an environment that has people focused on absurd values instead of enjoyment of the watches.

At least, that's why I'm not thrilled about the situation. I cannot speak for others.

The relationship between you and your AD is a form of "Golden Handcuffs". You've got the watch, the profit is there for the taking, but if you pull the trigger you kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. It's an ingenious system.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 06:38 AM   #65
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Oh and OP, you have no problem with 5711 going for 75k and 5712 going for 85k however? It's just the 5164 and it's lower markup than the prior two noted that you have beef with? Gimme a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
5711 and 12 are insane also.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 06:39 AM   #66
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
It irritates you because you wish you could buy one at MSRP and have the opportunity to sell it for a huge profit. Envy. There can be no other explanation.
It’s not envy because I would never sell if I owned one. I’m not.a watch investor, just a hobbyist.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:28 AM   #67
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
It’s not envy because I would never sell if I owned one. I’m not.a watch investor, just a hobbyist.
That doesn’t even make sense. Every hobbyist is factoring in the cost to acquire and retain what they’re collecting. If you’re not, then you’re naive. Don’t let the saying - a fool and his money are soon parted - apply to you.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:46 AM   #68
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
5711 and 12 are insane also.
But you came on here to whine about the 5164a and someone asking 65K for it, not the other two. MSRP for 5711 is 30K, they are selling for 60-75K depending on condition/dial, that's 100% or more over and its a 3 hander. A 5164 is now 35K and people are asking 55-65K, 85% markup and its a travel time complication. If I were to come on here and rant about any one reference and its market price, it wouldn't be the 5164a.

Seems to me you want one and can't get it for MSRP. As I tell my 5 year old, suck it up buttercup.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 09:35 AM   #69
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
The relationship between you and your AD is a form of "Golden Handcuffs". You've got the watch, the profit is there for the taking, but if you pull the trigger you kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. It's an ingenious system.
LOL so true. I have a certain Rolex piece I want to sell because I never wear it anymore but I'm deathly scared to sell it out of fear I'll be caught and blacklisted.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 09:56 AM   #70
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
LOL so true. I have a certain Rolex piece I want to sell because I never wear it anymore but I'm deathly scared to sell it out of fear I'll be caught and blacklisted.
Blnr lol
Old 28 August 2019, 10:37 AM   #71
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Mike!!! With the wisdom!!!!

Misery loves company as they say buddy.
Thought you would appreciate it
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:42 PM   #72
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just disgusting what the Patek world has turned into. Makes me not like the brand anymore. I hope it doesn’t sell.
OP, it is a little weird that you keep adding Patek at a fast clip while you are so upset about the brand. Even more so as the Patek world hasn't changed much in the few months since you entered the brand and got your first one.

Honestly, it looks as if you have been acting a lot out of frustration about not being able to get a 5711 at MSRP, which seems to have been the piece you really wanted when you started buying other pieces left and right. If you had gone grey for that 5711 rather than buying a basket of 8 pieces within just a few months (per your most recent list), including 3 Patek, you would have probably saved yourself some cash. I am not sure if I had gone grey for the 5711 in your place, but I am certainly not the type to ever go on a similar spending spree. Maybe I am too poor... Too each their own and no offense intended...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:47 PM   #73
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Please tell me you are joking..
Old 28 August 2019, 08:50 PM   #74
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
....I hope so too

Anyone who says theyre scared of selling watches because they think theyll sever their relations with the AD should not be buying anymore watches.

When you go into an AD and buy a watch you can do whatever you want with it afterwards. That means pee on it, throw it off a 21st floor balcony, run your car over with it, or dump it in a trashcan whilst you record it for the clout. If none of these options are rational, you can sell it and be gone with it. Because youre making a healthy profit on it, the AD shouldn't look to not ever sell you a watch again...what about the times you were taking a loss from your panerai? Is the AD going to cover that loss because you want to part with it? It's nonsense. Your buy, your property, do as you want and F the AD's secondary thought to what you'll do with it.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 09:00 PM   #75
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
....I hope so too

Anyone who says theyre scared of selling watches because they think theyll sever their relations with the AD should not be buying anymore watches.

When you go into an AD and buy a watch you can do whatever you want with it afterwards. That means pee on it, throw it off a 21st floor balcony, run your car over with it, or dump it in a trashcan whilst you record it for the clout. If none of these options are rational, you can sell it and be gone with it. Because youre making a healthy profit on it, the AD shouldn't look to not ever sell you a watch again...what about the times you were taking a loss from your panerai? Is the AD going to cover that loss because you want to part with it? It's nonsense. Your buy, your property, do as you want and F the AD's secondary thought to what you'll do with it.

I’m going to assume people here are generally successful or inherited some money per the Patek slogan. I doubt people got to their positions in life because they were scared of insignificant consequences. This seems rather insignificant. I understand if it was truly a special piece like a Minute repeater where Thierry himself signed off on it. Or my T stamp :)

But watch hobbyist are acting like beggars... act like the RICH asshat that TJMike thinks you guys are. This is a watch people... and it’s nice to be part of the patek and rolex family. But I’m the customer that spends a lot , they should want MY business. Y’all got your priorities reversed...

Know your worth,...don’t grovel...its unbecoming

Ninja out
Old 28 August 2019, 09:41 PM   #76
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
I’m going to assume people here are generally successful or inherited some money per the Patek slogan. I doubt people got to their positions in life because they were scared of insignificant consequences. This seems rather insignificant. I understand if it was truly a special piece like a Minute repeater where Thierry himself signed off on it. Or my T stamp :)

But watch hobbyist are acting like beggars... act like the RICH asshat that TJMike thinks you guys are. This is a watch people... and it’s nice to be part of the patek and rolex family. But I’m the customer that spends a lot , they should want MY business. Y’all got your priorities reversed...

Know your worth,...don’t grovel...its unbecoming

Ninja out
I have not laughed like I just did in a long time
Old 28 August 2019, 09:44 PM   #77
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
I have not laughed like I just did in a long time
U inspire me
Old 28 August 2019, 09:56 PM   #78
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Worrying that you will be blacklisted if you sell a hot piece is no joke, it happens. UK Rolex dealers now require customers to sign a letter of intent for some models. Clearly not binding in law and what you decide to do is still up to you but don't think there aren't consequences.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 10:03 PM   #79
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Worrying that you will be blacklisted if you sell a hot piece is no joke, it happens. UK Rolex dealers now require customers to sign a letter of intent for some models. Clearly not binding in law and what you decide to do is still up to you but don't think there aren't consequences.
I get the UK. But he’s in NA. Also we are now headed into a recession. Love to see how that flies.

Untuck those nuts boys... I’m not telling people to go on a flipping spree... just I think it’s silly.
Old 28 August 2019, 10:07 PM   #80
TJMike
Banned

Value retention, letters of intent, evil gray market sellers, rude sales assistants, scared to wear watches because of their secondary market value and/or the evil foreigners will steal it... What a weird f'n hobby this is.
Old 28 August 2019, 10:12 PM   #81
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Value retention, letters of intent, evil gray market sellers, rude sales assistants, scared to wear watches because of their secondary market value and/or the evil foreigners will steal it... What a weird f'n hobby this is.

i always wear my watches no matter what they may or may not be worth, otherwise whats the point

just make sure there insured
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 10:36 PM   #82
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
UK sellers / ADs think they're the only ones selling watches in this world. The attitude is nauseating.
Real life example: After Brexit they proclaimed they were the cheapest in Europe, hence no discount on models. I went to Sweden and saw myself get 10-15-20% off on models they would either not have or give discount on in England. By MSRP they may have been the cheapest, but after discount given in other shops they were the most expensive. And, I window-shopped/tested all over Europe. UK came out at the bottom. They still do and the GM on the corner at New Bond Street is still a top plonker. Total loser.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 10:56 PM   #83
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
UK sellers / ADs think they're the only ones selling watches in this world. The attitude is nauseating.
Real life example: After Brexit they proclaimed they were the cheapest in Europe, hence no discount on models. I went to Sweden and saw myself get 10-15-20% off on models they would either not have or give discount on in England. By MSRP they may have been the cheapest, but after discount given in other shops they were the most expensive. And, I window-shopped/tested all over Europe. UK came out at the bottom. They still do and the GM on the corner at New Bond Street is still a top plonker. Total loser.
I thought brexit was oct31? :)

Same day as halloween is
Old 28 August 2019, 11:24 PM   #84
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
terror tactics by ADs...and you guys fall for it:::)))
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:37 PM   #85
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought brexit was oct31? :)

Same day as halloween is
it is kind of the same thing:::)))
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:46 PM   #86
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Perfectly said. Being scared to sell a watch in fear of getting "caught" by the dealer is . We are all playing this game and do not think for one minute that the AD's aren't playing their own version of it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:26 AM   #87
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm being partly facetious, but also serious. I figure in the PV of pieces I'm hoping/expecting to get from them, and that far exceeds the profit I would make on flipping this piece.

I'm no whale at my AD, but they've delivered me a number of desirable SS Rolexes, and I've turned down a few, including the first new BLNR, Hulk, SS SkyD Blue, etc. And I know two individuals in the local watch collecting community who were indeed blacklisted by them for flipping desirable pieces acquired shortly after buying them (granted, they were idiots and showed off the warranty card unredacted). Yet at the same time, I'm sure if those two guys went back wanting to buy PMs, I'd be surprised if they said no.

I was told that apparently, I've been blacklisted by FPJ as I flipped my CB a few months after I bought it after having waited a year, didn't matter I actually wore it, enjoyed it, but got bored of it and they refused to resolve some quality issues. So maybe that colours my experience. Not crushed about it all though, if they don't want my money, I'll go somewhere else.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:51 AM   #88
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
I'm being partly facetious, but also serious. I figure in the PV of pieces I'm hoping/expecting to get from them, and that far exceeds the profit I would make on flipping this piece.

I'm no whale at my AD, but they've delivered me a number of desirable SS Rolexes, and I've turned down a few, including the first new BLNR, Hulk, SS SkyD Blue, etc. And I know two individuals in the local watch collecting community who were indeed blacklisted by them for flipping desirable pieces acquired shortly after buying them (granted, they were idiots and showed off the warranty card unredacted). Yet at the same time, I'm sure if those two guys went back wanting to buy PMs, I'd be surprised if they said no.

I was told that apparently, I've been blacklisted by FPJ as I flipped my CB a few months after I bought it after having waited a year, didn't matter I actually wore it, enjoyed it, but got bored of it and they refused to resolve some quality issues. So maybe that colours my experience. Not crushed about it all though, if they don't want my money, I'll go somewhere else.

The FPJ doesn’t surprise me since it’s limited runs and easy to track. But a BLNR.... would surprise me. The people that sold likely sold it themselves...if they moved into the greys. I’d be surprise since the greys usually move it into asian markets.
Old 29 August 2019, 01:26 AM   #89
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Plonker? Man they must have really wound you up, haven't heard that since the 80s. It's like git, very popular then but just gone from the modern vernacular.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:30 AM   #90
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
it is kind of the same thing:::)))
And now we are getting the Queen involved, I've cancelled my TV recordings of the Kardashians, Dallas and East Enders, the news is the best soap opera on the box.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote