The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2021, 04:23 PM   #1
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Watch Winder is 900 TPD but Rolex recommends 650 TPD ... is this a problem for me?

Thinking of picking up a Wolf Heritage watch winder that has a rating of 900 TPD (turns per day). Rolex recommends 650 TPD for my watches. Will this hurt my watches?
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 04:36 PM   #2
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
Thinking of picking up a Wolf Heritage watch winder that has a rating of 900 TPD (turns per day). Rolex recommends 650 TPD for my watches. Will this hurt my watches?

Not unless you plan to never wear it and just leave it in the winder permanently. But why not but a winder that is programmable for exactly the 650 TPD?
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:01 PM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
No, why would it be ?
Old 24 January 2021, 08:42 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
Why buy a machine thing when you have two of the finest winders in the world attached to your arms called wrists. And this is what all Rolex watches were designed for, and not sat on some machine thing. But if you must buy one god knows why, unless you have lost the use of your fingers to wind your watches, yes that round thing on one side of the case is called the winding setting crown. And it must take all of 30 seconds to wind and set any modern Rolex, now you cannot overwind any Rolex. As when the mainspring is fully wound it just slips in the spring-barrel just like it would do on the wrist, and all Rolex automatic movements wind in both directions. For any non perpetual calendar watch or a watch with many many complications which no Rolex has, a watch winder is totally unnecessary. If you have a choice of watches and do not wear it every day, it is not real chore to reset it and wind it by hand. If you don't wear it every day you also reduce wear to the movement components, why waste that benefit by having it wound when it is not required to tell the time? .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:58 PM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

You can't overwind a modern Rolex. If you don't want a programmable winder (Wolf make some nice ones), you could switch it off at night every third day, or an interval which suits you.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 09:56 PM   #6
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Watch Winder is 900 TPD but Rolex recommends 650 TPD ... is this a problem for me?

Mine runs at an odd 576 tpd and it has no trouble keeping my 70hr reserve watches up.

I think they do need a good wind on the wrist when they get removed for wearing for the day though.

I have given up on Sub 70hr watches, I dislike winding and setting my watches except on rare occasions.

I do enjoy giving my watches rest periods though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 09:59 PM   #7
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Just check how long it takes for the winder to do 900TPD. Then you calculate how long it takes for it to make 650TPD and connect it to a timer with that time per day.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 10:09 PM   #8
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Just check how long it takes for the winder to do 900TPD. Then you calculate how long it takes for it to make 650TPD and connect it to a timer with that time per day.

Doesn’t work like that.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:01 PM   #9
SilverStar
"TRF" Member

I had the same question so I contacted Wolf. Here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting WOLF - I can certainly help you with this.

The Heritage model pairs perfectly with your timepiece collection if they are require 650 TPD Bidirectional. Your winder requires to be on the 'C' setting as it will double the number of turns per day to 1,800.

Let me know if you have additional questions. "

I usually have 3 of my watches in rotation at time so each one never spends more than 3 or 4 days in a row on the winder. Also, the winder is programed not to run continuously.
SilverStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:22 PM   #10
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
The 650 is supposedly the minimum tpd to keep the watch charged. If the winder rotates more tpd it really doesn’t matter. Your winder will not damage your watch movement with it’s gentle turns and in the same time it will not overwind as mentioned already.

I have a winder which does 500 tpd and also that one keeps my watch perfectly charged.

It would be interesting to see the mathematics behind it but I think there is not so much value in the tpd. Many high end winders don’t even offer an option to change the tpd setting.