The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: AP Royal Oak Concept Tourbillon GMT vs RM 011-02
AP all the way 32 35.16%
RM is the one 51 56.04%
No opinion or 50/50 8 8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 December 2017, 05:21 AM   #31
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
Wow that looks amazing! I can see it being a little bigger but the beauty of it is kind of taking over my eyes!

It’s costs more than your car too! (The RR)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 05:24 AM   #32
Xerxes77
Banned

Btw this 2 RM
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 05:25 AM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

what about the private jet? Or was that a lease?
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 05:45 AM   #34
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

And with a penny discount
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 05:45 AM   #35
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 06:44 AM   #36
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
what about the private jet? Or was that a lease?
Hey! I was just a passenger invited on to the flight and took advantage of the lovely surrounding! Not my PJ! I wish it was though
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 06:50 AM   #37
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Taking trades anyone? hi
Old 6 December 2017, 07:03 AM   #38
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
Taking trades anyone? hi
It’s a joke between Ash and I..

When we tried the Concept on it went something like this

Ash: ‘yeah it’s nice, is there any room for discount’

Sales assistant: ‘no discount, I’m afraid’

Ash: ‘what not a penny?!’

Sales assistant: ‘oh yes I can do a penny off’

SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 07:51 AM   #39
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s a joke between Ash and I..

When we tried the Concept on it went something like this

Ash: ‘yeah it’s nice, is there any room for discount’

Sales assistant: ‘no discount, I’m afraid’

Ash: ‘what not a penny?!’

Sales assistant: ‘oh yes I can do a penny off’

I could see that happening in a Will Ferrel movie back in the prime of his dry humor days
Old 6 December 2017, 10:15 AM   #40
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Visually the RM.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 10:52 AM   #41
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
I would keep looking for some other choices at this price point.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 11:40 AM   #42
ros
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Not sure what happened to my original reply but what I will say is in terms of comfort, the RM hands down. The concept doesn't suit a lot of wrists and you have to be happy with that but if it suits yours then its awesome. I will say the RM visually is also more striking but at the end of the day you need to be happy with your choice.

Also keep in mind at this price point you have a number of options where you can get something special.
ros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 07:14 PM   #43
fai9al
"TRF" Member

Concept is hard to beat!
fai9al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 03:25 AM   #44
Doctock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I'm sorry, but the entire RM line looks like a marketing ploy to turn a LEGO watch into something overpaid athletes "must" now own.

The AP Concept series also concerns me, especially in light of the "suggested" SIHH 2018 releases (which also are imho hideous).

I know innovation must march forward, and there are limits to what a timepiece can look like and still be functional, but this watch guy calls "Emperor's New Clothes" on the entire RM line and the Concept series.

(AND NO - this is NOT someone "bitter" I cannot afford one - I could, I'd just rather have 2-3 more ROO in 42mm and a few more PP!)
Doctock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 04:24 AM   #45
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctock View Post
I'm sorry, but the entire RM line looks like a marketing ploy to turn a LEGO watch into something overpaid athletes "must" now own.

The AP Concept series also concerns me, especially in light of the "suggested" SIHH 2018 releases (which also are imho hideous).

I know innovation must march forward, and there are limits to what a timepiece can look like and still be functional, but this watch guy calls "Emperor's New Clothes" on the entire RM line and the Concept series.

(AND NO - this is NOT someone "bitter" I cannot afford one - I could, I'd just rather have 2-3 more ROO in 42mm and a few more PP!)
I like the look of some of the concepts and a few Milles, but I appreciate where you're coming from.

I used to date a stylist, and before buying clothes, she'd always have me answer whether I was getting something for myself or everyone else. I think that's a very pertinent question when buying a watch.

With regard to my collection, I've really tried lately to keep in mind that 99% of the world knows nothing about watches and to reconcile myself to the fact that, yes, I do want the things I buy and wear to look nice and valuable, like the clothes I have on.

With that in mind, it's been more difficult for me to justify spending over 100k on most Milles or these AP concepts because to anyone on the street they look toy-ish or something that can be bought for $100 at Diesel. I appreciate the craftsmanship and whatnot, but at that price, I want something that EVERYONE will be able to evaluate. The Mille black toro and the 11-03s are gorgeous and worth the price. Others and most concepts I would have a really hard time explaining to a lay person that I spent 100k+ on.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 01:30 AM   #46
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have a totally different approach. I do not care what others think.. i buy what i like for me. I really do not care what others think. If you care what others think why not just have a bunch of rolexes. The majority know a rolex but most people have no idea about Patek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I like the look of some of the concepts and a few Milles, but I appreciate where you're coming from.

I used to date a stylist, and before buying clothes, she'd always have me answer whether I was getting something for myself or everyone else. I think that's a very pertinent question when buying a watch.

With regard to my collection, I've really tried lately to keep in mind that 99% of the world knows nothing about watches and to reconcile myself to the fact that, yes, I do want the things I buy and wear to look nice and valuable, like the clothes I have on.

With that in mind, it's been more difficult for me to justify spending over 100k on most Milles or these AP concepts because to anyone on the street they look toy-ish or something that can be bought for $100 at Diesel. I appreciate the craftsmanship and whatnot, but at that price, I want something that EVERYONE will be able to evaluate. The Mille black toro and the 11-03s are gorgeous and worth the price. Others and most concepts I would have a really hard time explaining to a lay person that I spent 100k+ on.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 01:42 AM   #47
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I have a totally different approach. I do not care what others think.. i buy what i like for me. I really do not care what others think. If you care what others think why not just have a bunch of rolexes. The majority know a rolex but most people have no idea about Patek.
Because I live in the real world and interact with a bunch of people and after awhile it's grating to have people snicker when they find out you paid 150k for a watch that looks like a hunk of plastic. I assume you go around in sweats and comfy slippers?
Old 8 December 2017, 01:55 AM   #48
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I do not going around telling people how i paid for a watch. I guess according to your criteria if they were designer sweats and slippers I should be ok. Seriously, dress attire is not the same type of argument.
In an extreme example-- No one would criticize me if i did not wear a watch but if i walked into a room with any clothes? I know people who wear suit and tie and an apple watch.
Old 8 December 2017, 02:18 AM   #49
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I love TRF deep thoughts

as much as we would like to think we make decisions independent of outside influences, we don't. We have an illusion that our ideas and preferences are ours alone but thats not how our brains work. Sure, you have to like a watch to buy it but why you like it in the first place isnt a decision made in a vacuum. Some people choose a watch that most people hate. Part of why they do is to be different and thus the decision is based in part about other people's ideas about what is normal, and that persons goal of trying to be different from others. Some choose a watch that is popular, and that decision is is also influenced by other peoples perceptions too.

Its a balance of choosing a watch you like the best and also choosing one that sends the message you want to send. Both of those criteria though are influenced by several factors including both internal and external forces.

You cant say that what other people think doesn't have any bearing on what you pick because it does.
Old 8 December 2017, 02:36 AM   #50
Watch Admirer
Banned

Not a single person in the world buys a watch only for himself - surroundings and entourage plays a big role
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 03:25 AM   #51
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Admirer View Post
Not a single person in the world buys a watch only for himself - surroundings and entourage plays a big role
Rubbish!
Not everyone is as shallow as you’re trying to portray – I’m sure there are many like myself, where each watch purchased has been purely due to its design hitting the right spot at the time, and still does.
The watches I’ve purchased are for my own personal enjoyment, rather than to convey something to anyone just passing by or being interacted with.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 03:29 AM   #52
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I do not going around telling people how i paid for a watch. I guess according to your criteria if they were designer sweats and slippers I should be ok. Seriously, dress attire is not the same type of argument.
In an extreme example-- No one would criticize me if i did not wear a watch but if i walked into a room with any clothes? I know people who wear suit and tie and an apple watch.
Everyone has a smartphone on them. When I wore a Mille and people asked what it was, thirty seconds later they'd googled the price tag.

I'm not saying that my primary criteria for purchases aren't my own tastes and predilections, but if I'm spending money on something mainly for aesthetic purposes, as I do with watches, I want the appearance to be commensurate with the price.

To me, and people I've been around, a 5270 looks like 100k watch; a red Nadal doesn't. Is that the only reason to get the former over the latter? No. Is it something I consider when allocating resources towards purchases? Yes.
Old 8 December 2017, 03:45 AM   #53
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Because I live in the real world and interact with a bunch of people and after awhile it's grating to have people snicker when they find out you paid 150k for a watch that looks like a hunk of plastic. I assume you go around in sweats and comfy slippers?
We certainly feed off of each other, but I care more about what other WIS, like this forum think, than civilians in the street. In fact as I get older I want my expensive watches noticed less and less as this endless recession grows deeper. I know you are/were a boxer so I think that helps for you, I used to box too, but the older I get the more English I get and so I'd rather not get into fist fights over my watch, altho thieves use weapons these days.

Let your clothes or even your car do your public speaking, but I prefer my watches to be mine own private kingdom.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 04:04 AM   #54
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
We certainly feed off of each other, but I care more about what other WIS, like this forum think, than civilians in the street. In fact as I get older I want my expensive watches noticed less and less as this endless recession grows deeper. I know you are/were a boxer so I think that helps for you, I used to box too, but the older I get the more English I get and so I'd rather not get into fist fights over my watch, altho thieves use weapons these days.

Let your clothes or even your car do your public speaking, but I prefer my watches to be mine own private kingdom.
It's funny, the only watch people ever seem to notice or recognize is my BLNR; if I were to get robbed for a watch, I imagine that'd be the one targeted.

When I spent more time on the forum, I certainly was more influenced by WIS and finding rare, scarce models, but I noticed so little overlap between what was considered attractive here and in my actual day to day life, and, frankly, so little commonality between my own style and look and those of most other collectors, that I've moved away from letting the watch crowd influence my decisions beyond considering what might be a stable piece price wise.
Old 8 December 2017, 04:18 AM   #55
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
It's funny, the only watch people ever seem to notice or recognize is my BLNR; if I were to get robbed for a watch, I imagine that'd be the one targeted.

When I spent more time on the forum, I certainly was more influenced by WIS and finding rare, scarce models, but I noticed so little overlap between what was considered attractive here and in my actual day to day life, and, frankly, so little commonality between my own style and look and those of most other collectors, that I've moved away from letting the watch crowd influence my decisions beyond considering what might be a stable piece price wise.
Def the Rolexes will get the most negative attention and I think the hype now is unprecedented and UK robberies seem to be climbing alarmingly. I must admit I picture them and go at the punching bag harder these days, but as these robbers use acid and machetes it really is better to offer no resistance.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 04:23 AM   #56
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

i know my entire family is convinced my GMT II is my most valuable watch. Its the only one they are even remotely interested in or that they ever mention when visiting them. Its doesn't bother me either way, but it is what it is.
Old 8 December 2017, 05:02 AM   #57
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Def the Rolexes will get the most negative attention and I think the hype now is unprecedented and UK robberies seem to be climbing alarmingly. I must admit I picture them and go at the punching bag harder these days, but as these robbers use acid and machetes it really is better to offer no resistance.
It's funny, the only time anyone ever attempted to rob me was in SoHo (yours, not mine) when I was there as a teenager. Coming out of a pub, two guys set open us and asked for our money. One claimed to have a knife, but kept his hand in his pocket, and the whole episode ended up turning rather emotional as one of the would-be muggers broke down apologizing and said he had a drug habit when we (stupidly in hindsight) refused to give over our money.

I was there a month or so ago, and ended up in a bit of a dodgy part of town around 1 AM for reasons I won't get into, waiting for a cab in front of a store with a woman I was seeing. A couple approached us and started asking a bunch of questions; I believe I was wearing my ROC, but under a sleeve and knew better to engage with funny looking, inquisitive strangers on a street corner.

I should be generally smarter about what I wear and where, but I think I've gotten so used to not feeling threatened I get careless sometimes.
Old 8 December 2017, 07:04 AM   #58
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I agree with what you summarize including the fact that what other people think will have some influence on what you buy or wear. However, I think what other people think influences individuals to a different degree. In terms of a watch-- I am more influenced by folks here who know watches and can give me insights into issues like wearability--- resale value-- dependability. I really do not care what Joe Smoe or any colleague/friend who knows nothing about watches thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I love TRF deep thoughts

as much as we would like to think we make decisions independent of outside influences, we don't. We have an illusion that our ideas and preferences are ours alone but thats not how our brains work. Sure, you have to like a watch to buy it but why you like it in the first place isnt a decision made in a vacuum. Some people choose a watch that most people hate. Part of why they do is to be different and thus the decision is based in part about other people's ideas about what is normal, and that persons goal of trying to be different from others. Some choose a watch that is popular, and that decision is is also influenced by other peoples perceptions too.

Its a balance of choosing a watch you like the best and also choosing one that sends the message you want to send. Both of those criteria though are influenced by several factors including both internal and external forces.

You cant say that what other people think doesn't have any bearing on what you pick because it does.
Old 15 December 2017, 06:11 AM   #59
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have essentially ruled out the AP. Now i am still considering the RM.. It would be between the RM 11-02 vs 11-03
Old 15 December 2017, 07:42 AM   #60
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Admirer View Post
Funny, I wear my nicest watch primarily just at home, so really it's only my wife and I that can see it. For me a gold AP is too flashy to wear at my work or for travel, or to walk around in quasi-shady areas, which I do every day where I live (San Francisco). To me a fine watch is a reminder of success after a couple of decades of hard work.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote