The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 30 August 2017, 05:44 PM   #1
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Does anyone know where to source a ceramic bezel for the 44mm ROO?

Want an extra one and the service centre is quoting close to $4,000!
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 06:05 PM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleeboy View Post

That's a crazy price. I had a new one fitted by AP this year and the total cost inc fitting was £2100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 07:50 PM   #3
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
That's a crazy price. I had a new one fitted by AP this year and the total cost inc fitting was £2100.

Goodness! What happened to the previous one?
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 08:01 PM   #4
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
Goodness! What happened to the previous one?

I got a tiny scratch on the old one. When I bought the watch I mistakenly thought that ceramic was bullet proof so although I wasn't rough with it I wore it for work using industrial machinery, squash, gym etc. I should have left it really but I decided to change it as I was annoyed by the scratch.
Old 30 August 2017, 08:08 PM   #5
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

Yup, apprarently there are many particles combined in stone, concrete, brick etc that could have hardness coefficients harder than ceramic. It need not be diamond :-)
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 08:38 PM   #6
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not to parse words, but could the difference here be that you want an extra one, and not a replacement?

I recently had secured a deal to buy a Ceramic Diver, but when I went to go pick it up, I noticed a mark on the edge of the bezel that couldn't be removed and appeared to be a tiny scrape right at the edge. That was an instant dealbreaker knowing the cost it would be to replace the bezel.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:11 PM   #7
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I got a tiny scratch on the old one. When I bought the watch I mistakenly thought that ceramic was bullet proof so although I wasn't rough with it I wore it for work using industrial machinery, squash, gym etc. I should have left it really but I decided to change it as I was annoyed by the scratch.
And what they did with the old one? do you still have it :)
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:41 PM   #8
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Not to parse words, but could the difference here be that you want an extra one, and not a replacement?

I recently had secured a deal to buy a Ceramic Diver, but when I went to go pick it up, I noticed a mark on the edge of the bezel that couldn't be removed and appeared to be a tiny scrape right at the edge. That was an instant dealbreaker knowing the cost it would be to replace the bezel.
Understandable....but a shame. It really is a great watch!
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 10:43 PM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
And what they did with the old one? do you still have it :)

No they never return the old bezels.

Old 31 August 2017, 12:25 AM   #10
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
$4000 is crazy for a new bezel. I hope the stainless steel one for my ROC is nowhere near that when I need to go down that path

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 12:34 AM   #11
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

I actually want an extra one and at a price that's more palatable than the one quoted by the service centre.

I am also surprised to learn that they keep the original if you have it replaced.

Looks like there's no way to get one without paying the high asking price AND giving up your existing one?

Oh, sometimes you just need to rub the bezel with Brasso to get out materials that are deeply ingrained into the grooves. I thought my bezel was scratched, but it was actually metallic residue stuck in the grooves. No amount of elbow grease was able to remove this, but with a dab of brasso, voila!
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 01:46 AM   #12
New York
"TRF" Member

I had mine replaced in December because of a small chip and the cost of the bezel was $2244 from AP. They did keep the old bezel.
New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 02:03 AM   #13
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually want an extra one and at a price that's more palatable than the one quoted by the service centre.

I am also surprised to learn that they keep the original if you have it replaced.

Looks like there's no way to get one without paying the high asking price AND giving up your existing one?

Oh, sometimes you just need to rub the bezel with Brasso to get out materials that are deeply ingrained into the grooves. I thought my bezel was scratched, but it was actually metallic residue stuck in the grooves. No amount of elbow grease was able to remove this, but with a dab of brasso, voila!
I don't think it's surprising that the service center keeps the original - genuine parts floating around out there isn't a good thing as frankenwatches can be made with them.

Unfortunately, the blemish on the Ceramic Diver bezel I saw was clearly sunken in and could be felt (indicative of missing material) and not on the surface itself.
Old 31 August 2017, 03:53 AM   #14
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
I wonder where you learned that trick from? <whistles nonchalantly>
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 08:08 AM   #15
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
2 grand is crazy for a bit of ceramic too, some people just have money to burn
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 08:25 AM   #16
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs View Post
Well, you gotta include the cost of real estate for the factory, cost of machinery and equipment, R&D if you can place a number on that, cost of wages for the worker machining the "bit of ceramic", cost of that worker's manager, and his boss, and his boss's boss. Shipping/freight costs money too.

Then you have to ship it to a nice looking service centre manned by well dressed staff - what are the costs of that...

I could go on

Point being, there are lots of costs involved in getting a "bit of ceramic" into the hands of the end customer; it's not something someone mined from the ground in Sri Lanka and attempting to flip for $2K
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 04:52 PM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs View Post
what about a SS replacement Rolex bracelet? AFAIK that costs more than a ROO bracelet. Now that is ridiculous. An AP ceramic bezel is a bargain compared to Rolex replacement parts as those watches are a fraction of the cost to begin with and yet "parts" are usually more than on a watch that costs many multiples more.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 01:30 AM   #18
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York View Post
I had mine replaced in December because of a small chip and the cost of the bezel was $2244 from AP. They did keep the old bezel.
I wonder if they would give you the old bezel if, at the time of service, you requested to keep it?

In the US, at least, when you take a car in for service you have the legal right to ask for all of the replaced parts to be returned to you. The parts are your property that you paid for and no one has the authority to confiscate them (unless the parts are government mandated for recycling). I have gotten my old parts back on multiple occasions and it is very informative to see the condition of spark plugs, o-rings, etc.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 01:42 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburrito View Post
I wonder if they would give you the old bezel if, at the time of service, you requested to keep it?

In the US, at least, when you take a car in for service you have the legal right to ask for all of the replaced parts to be returned to you. The parts are your property that you paid for and no one has the authority to confiscate them (unless the parts are government mandated for recycling). I have gotten my old parts back on multiple occasions and it is very informative to see the condition of spark plugs, o-rings, etc.
usually there is a price difference between exchanging and buying parts, with other brands at least. So they charge more if they return the old part vs exchange to a non damaged one when they keep the part. That may be the case here, I'm not sure.

I suspect that replacement is contingent on them keeping the parts though which you agree to in advance via the small print.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 2 September 2017, 01:42 AM   #20
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:

Then AP could just deny replacing the bezel all together. I tried to get one a couple years back. Tried going directly to APSC, my contact at the executive level and even a independent that services APs and can get parts. Couldn't make it happen. Also tried to get ceramic crowns put on my FC diver but that didn't happen either.

I'm fine with AP controlling their parts and service. APSC clearwater is a pleasure to deal with, has fast service times at very reasonable prices. Also keeps watches original for the long term.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 01:51 AM   #21
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Interesting. Seems like the law for returned parts is specific to motor vehicles and not any other type of consumer product.

Anway I agree that having a bunch of used AP parts floating around would do nothing to maintain brand value.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 02:03 AM   #22
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
4k for the bezel. Thats crazy.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 02:29 AM   #23
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
Yup, apprarently there are many particles combined in stone, concrete, brick etc that could have hardness coefficients harder than ceramic. It need not be diamond :-)
The sharp edges are quite brittle... Doesn't have to be that hard of a material if you hit it with a little speed. I have chipped the edge of a CE bezel by actually fairly light hitting a railing.
It seems that audemars CE bezels are very scratch resistent but not that hard to chip.
Old 2 September 2017, 03:39 AM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
The sharp edges are quite brittle... Doesn't have to be that hard of a material if you hit it with a little speed. I have chipped the edge of a CE bezel by actually fairly light hitting a railing.
It seems that audemars CE bezels are very scratch resistent but not that hard to chip.
this

chipping and not scratching is the issue that happens with AP ceramic, and any other ceramic.
Old 2 September 2017, 04:43 AM   #25
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Cermet appears to virtually eliminate this problem. Unlike ceramic, apparently it doesn't chip, and yet, it is also very scratch resistant.
Old 2 September 2017, 06:33 AM   #26
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
No, the prices quoted/charged are always on an exchange basis.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 09:36 AM   #27
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Might want to live with the scratch until you really need to change it.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 09:49 PM   #28
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
You who have had your bezels replaced, do you have pictures on them? Chips I have aquired is only visible from certain angles and it doesnt make sense to replace it for that amount of cost if it's a keeper. A new chip can occur at any time if unlucky...
Old 6 September 2017, 01:59 AM   #29
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Good luck !!
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 02:59 PM   #30
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
if it is a keeper I would leave it and not replace until movement service interval. When you have the entire watch serviced and polished you may wish to replace the bezel to make it look new . The reason I say you should wait is.....as stated above another chip can happen at any time.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote