The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 9 December 2019, 09:03 AM   #31
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by G@tor B@it View Post
Thank you Gladiator. I'm a recently new member... really 0 experience in watches. I'm in the early stages of buying my first Rolex... meaning I'm here to learn. Initially I thought I hit the jackpot with this site and all the learning I could do. But the more I read, it seems like most of it is egotistical members insulting those who are trying to learn.... I appreciate you as a moderator trying to bring the site back to being educational.
TRF is a wealth of information. The problem is you get a person thats brand new and wants to be spoon feed information without doing any of there own homework. After you have been here years and keep hearing the same lame questions it gets old. Me I just ignore them at this stage, usually.

If you really want to learn and get up to speed fast get real good with the search feature. It works incredibly well and you can pinpoint the most basic questions answered to the most intricate details. Then when you have exhausted all those avenues post your question.

This section if your under 10 posts and just registered this month with questions you have on a watch you got from your Grandfather your just asking for it.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 12:58 PM   #32
G@tor B@it
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Professional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
TRF is a wealth of information. The problem is you get a person thats brand new and wants to be spoon feed information without doing any of there own homework. After you have been here years and keep hearing the same lame questions it gets old. Me I just ignore them at this stage, usually.

If you really want to learn and get up to speed fast get real good with the search feature. It works incredibly well and you can pinpoint the most basic questions answered to the most intricate details. Then when you have exhausted all those avenues post your question.

This section if your under 10 posts and just registered this month with questions you have on a watch you got from your Grandfather your just asking for it.
Thanks for the perspective Jim... I see your point. But the fact I (or anyone else on the forum for arguments sake) doesn't own a Rolex (yet) or hasn't been here for years, doesn't automatically make them a moron deserving of ridicule. It also doesn't make their time any less valuable. I've spent some time using the search feature... sometimes I have luck, others I don't. But why spend 2 hours reading posts, some might be YEARS old, when I could just get some fresh perspective? Lets be honest, if a members is on the forum browsing generic posts and questions, they can't be too busy at the moment! So that's why I end up back at my assertion that many of the long timers on this site enjoy looking down at the newcomers or those with less knowledge and experience. But it's all good. I'm learning, and picking up what I need to know over time. Goal is to buy a sub for my 40th birthday in April. Cheers!
G@tor B@it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:02 PM   #33
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
No worries, make sure you really do your homework to know what your buying. My recommendation is to buy a full set which will make it more valuable down the road and easier to sell/trade if you ever decide. Since they are so hard to get from a AD (although not impossible) without a long relationship or spending large amounts of money a trusted seller here is your best bet.

Depending on what you decide on you may or may not spend over MSRP but you will have the comfort of knowing your getting the real deal without the potential of getting ripped off which seems to be running rampant on many forums with scammers.

Here's a few of the higher volume sellers here.

https://davidsw.com/
https://www.aiswatches.com/shop
https://www.ocwatchguy.com/
https://www.takuyawatches.com/watches/
https://www.sdwatches.com/

Best of luck in your search. The Sub is the quintessential Rolex.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:12 AM   #34
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G@tor B@it View Post
Thanks for the perspective Jim... I see your point. But the fact I (or anyone else on the forum for arguments sake) doesn't own a Rolex (yet) or hasn't been here for years, doesn't automatically make them a moron deserving of ridicule. It also doesn't make their time any less valuable. I've spent some time using the search feature... sometimes I have luck, others I don't. But why spend 2 hours reading posts, some might be YEARS old, when I could just get some fresh perspective? Lets be honest, if a members is on the forum browsing generic posts and questions, they can't be too busy at the moment! So that's why I end up back at my assertion that many of the long timers on this site enjoy looking down at the newcomers or those with less knowledge and experience. But it's all good. I'm learning, and picking up what I need to know over time. Goal is to buy a sub for my 40th birthday in April. Cheers!
As a new member myself to TRF this year, I’ve also found that doing internet searches helps you find answers. Sometimes using the TRF searches make it hard to find exactly what you want.

I always have to remind myself, everything is on the internet, you just have to find it.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 02:16 AM   #35
G@tor B@it
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Professional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
No worries, make sure you really do your homework to know what your buying. My recommendation is to buy a full set which will make it more valuable down the road and easier to sell/trade if you ever decide. Since they are so hard to get from a AD (although not impossible) without a long relationship or spending large amounts of money a trusted seller here is your best bet.

Depending on what you decide on you may or may not spend over MSRP but you will have the comfort of knowing your getting the real deal without the potential of getting ripped off which seems to be running rampant on many forums with scammers.

Here's a few of the higher volume sellers here.

Best of luck in your search. The Sub is the quintessential Rolex.
Jim - Thanks so much for the reference list. I had already seen many positive reviews about DavidSW, and I even found my way to his actual website! I agree with you, I'm at this point only entertaining a full set. For the same reason you mention, to have greater flexibility to trade up. Or, God forbid, I realize investing $10k+ in a watch was a huge mistake, to be able to more readily sell!

My goal is #1 to buy an authentic full set, #2 to save money buying used over new. If it costs me up to $1,000 more to buy from someone reputable here, over Craigslist or Facebook, I'm ok doing that. Thanks for your VERY valuable insight!

Russ
G@tor B@it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 02:45 PM   #36
Rural1
"TRF" Member

Back again, still not satisfied it's a fake. I had done a huge amount of research before i come to the forums. There's only so much you can research until you just need someone with real life experience. I am genuine, although I do understand why some of you have doubts. I have looked in supposedly trusted online stores such as chrono24 and bobswatches, found some similar watches with very close or the same weight range (roughly 61 grams) if that matters? Going to pull it out again today and hopefully get someone to remove the bracelet so i can check for serial numbers. If it's worth a link to some better photos, since these do it no justice. Let me know. Cheers
Rural1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:06 AM   #37
boatbasin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600,TTDJ,PTYM
[QUOTE=Zakalwe;10188207]As per the forum rules, the forum is certainly not supposed to be educational or about learning when it comes to fakes.
As per the forum rules, the forum is certainly not supposed to be educational or about learning when it comes to fakes.

Quote:
THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR THE DISCUSSION OF FAKE WATCHES, BRACELETS ETC, and your opinion are about FAKE WATCHES and who makes them, sells them, buys them and wears them is NOT welcome.

There is a big distinction between discussing fake watches and parts for their own sake, or discussing and identifying fakes so we become more educated and safe in our buying of authentic watches.
boatbasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:13 AM   #38
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural1 View Post
Back again, still not satisfied it's a fake. I had done a huge amount of research before i come to the forums. There's only so much you can research until you just need someone with real life experience. I am genuine, although I do understand why some of you have doubts. I have looked in supposedly trusted online stores such as chrono24 and bobswatches, found some similar watches with very close or the same weight range (roughly 61 grams) if that matters? Going to pull it out again today and hopefully get someone to remove the bracelet so i can check for serial numbers. If it's worth a link to some better photos, since these do it no justice. Let me know. Cheers
FFS it’s a fake and a crap one at that. A full gold mid size Datejust weighs significantly more than 61g.
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:45 AM   #39
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Beggars belief. Wake up OP. See Post #2. That is all you need to know.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:04 AM   #40
Tyler681
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex red sub mk v
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Its not a replica, its a fake
What is the difference?
Tyler681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:39 AM   #41
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural1 View Post
It's a terrible fake.

That's all you need to know
GolfJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 06:02 AM   #42
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler681 View Post
What is the difference?

In some circles, to call it a replica is still somehow accepted terminology to allow for criminal activity. To call it a fake has always been known to be criminal in all circles.
Old 23 January 2020, 07:13 AM   #43
Tyler681
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In some circles, to call it a replica is still somehow accepted terminology to allow for criminal activity. To call it a fake has always been known to be criminal in all circles.
So a replica is a good fake?
Old 23 January 2020, 07:52 AM   #44
offrdmania

Quote:
So a replica is a good fake?

Both fake but some tend to argue that point
Old 23 January 2020, 08:58 AM   #45
Tyler681
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Both fake but some tend to argue that point
Thanks.
I understand that a 19th century table can be replicated and sold at auction (as long as sold as such) and no one bats an eyelid because the designer is dead, or really no general interest.
But a watch that is still under production or the company that sold the origanal still alive and kicking, replicated for profit must still be a fake, no matter how good. Imo

However on another subject, with the court case that is going on with rolex at the moment in california with people modifying their watches. I believe if you bought it you can do what you want with it.
The same as fixing an after market strap or bracelet.
Old 23 January 2020, 10:02 AM   #46
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Thanks.
I understand that a 19th century table can be replicated and sold at auction (as long as sold as such) and no one bats an eyelid because the designer is dead, or really no general interest.
But a watch that is still under production or the company that sold the origanal still alive and kicking, replicated for profit must still be a fake, no matter how good. Imo

However on another subject, with the court case that is going on with rolex at the moment in california with people modifying their watches. I believe if you bought it you can do what you want with it.
The same as fixing an after market strap or bracelet.
A simplified way to understand the issue:

If a watch or part is not produced/authorized/licensed by Rolex, but carries a (trademarked) Rolex logo/insignia/marking, then it is considered to be counterfeit (i.e. "fake").
If a watch or part is not produced/authorized/licensed by Rolex, and does not carry any (trademarked) Rolex logo/insignia/marking, then terms like "aftermarket", "homage", or "tribute" apply.
The term "replica" is a bit ambiguous, as it is commonly used to describe either of the above. However, in the watch world, it is most often associated with "counterfeit".

Also, you can do whatever you want to your own personal property. It only becomes an issue if/when you involve commerce. IOW, it is not illegal to buy counterfeit goods, but it is illegal to sell them. That typically does not apply to "aftermarket" goods, unless you are still somehow deceiving the consumer. For instance, selling an 18k Rolex bracelet as 100% genuine, when in fact, the clasp is genuine but all of the links are aftermarket. Or, selling an "aftermarket" bezel insert as genuine, etc.

Lots of further nuance to the subject, but that is a general gist.

freefly is offline   Reply With Quote