The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 March 2017, 06:22 PM   #1
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Does Anyone Have An All Gold Breitling

They seem exceptionally few and far between. Actually, stumbled into one at Macy's of all places. Think it was a Chronomat. Bracelet was impressive to be sure. Given the number of PM Rolex's on bracelet, was wondering if there any members that sport one. Pictures of course are welcome.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 05:00 PM   #2
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Wow. They're either exceptionally rare or maybe I'm not in the right forum these babies. Interesting.
Old 28 March 2017, 12:12 AM   #3
56scooter
"TRF" Member

An all gold Breitling (watch head with gold bracelet) is going to list at approximately 50K, most AD's are not going to stock one, they will order it but to have one on hand is a different story. Most AD's have gold watch heads with a croc strap, considerably less! The store you saw it in (Macy's in NYC) is run by the Breitling Boutique. They would have them if anyone would. Lots of gold heads out there but like you said, one with a gold bracelet is a rare bird!
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 10:07 AM   #4
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
An all gold Breitling (watch head with gold bracelet) is going to list at approximately 50K, most AD's are not going to stock one, they will order it but to have one on hand is a different story. Most AD's have gold watch heads with a croc strap, considerably less! The store you saw it in (Macy's in NYC) is run by the Breitling Boutique. They would have them if anyone would. Lots of gold heads out there but like you said, one with a gold bracelet is a rare bird!
It was kind of strange to see one at Macy's although the employees new nothing about them. Told me the bracelet can be bought separately for 34k. Maybe that's right just seemed bizarre given the price difference for a Rolex on strap vs. bracelet is around 8k. Given the price point, i can't imagine anyone buying one from an AD at anywhere near retail. I'm just surprised that they're so uncommon even in the grey market, let alone on the wrist of forum goers. The pics I've seen are pretty attractive to me. Great heft and good looks. Maybe I'm in the great minority though.
Old 28 March 2017, 12:44 PM   #5
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
The price difference in the MSRP of a watch on bracelet and a watch on a strap is not indicative of the retail price of the bracelet separately. It's always cheaper to buy the watch on a bracelet than it is to add it after the fact.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 01:04 PM   #6
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Not mine, but beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hb011012a698rg.jpg (50.5 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Top-10-Gold-Watches_Breitling.jpg (126.6 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg Breitling-Chronomat-44-Gretzky-Limited-Edition-watch-Perpetuelle-900x608.jpg (189.6 KB, 278 views)

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
It was kind of strange to see one at Macy's although the employees new nothing about them. Told me the bracelet can be bought separately for 34k. Maybe that's right just seemed bizarre given the price difference for a Rolex on strap vs. bracelet is around 8k. Given the price point, i can't imagine anyone buying one from an AD at anywhere near retail. I'm just surprised that they're so uncommon even in the grey market, let alone on the wrist of forum goers. The pics I've seen are pretty attractive to me. Great heft and good looks. Maybe I'm in the great minority though.
I have commonly seen strong disdain from a minority of forum-goers here regarding Breitling when I suspect they don't know much about the brand or the lesser known models. They have a different character than Rolex and that's fine with me. I would personally love a solid gold Breitling, but they may be rarer as their target male consumer is more likely to want to buy a robust 'instrument for professionals' rather than a beautifully crafted piece of jewelry - as I consider PM watches to be. Just my opinion, I enjoy both brands, plus Omega, quite a bit.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:55 PM   #8
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
I have commonly seen strong disdain from a minority of forum-goers here regarding Breitling when I suspect they don't know much about the brand or the lesser known models. They have a different character than Rolex and that's fine with me. I would personally love a solid gold Breitling, but they may be rarer as their target male consumer is more likely to want to buy a robust 'instrument for professionals' rather than a beautifully crafted piece of jewelry - as I consider PM watches to be. Just my opinion, I enjoy both brands, plus Omega, quite a bit.
That's interesting. While I have and appreciate gold watches, I have no contention with the idea that they are jewelry vs. professional instruments. Don't know why anyone would get their panties in a bunch over that. Reality is that an overwhelming majority of people that own tool watches aren't using them for their capabilities. While they may appreciate them, it's an accessory that ends up on their wrist.

As for disdain, that's just odd in my opinion. I don't know much about Breitling but I dig them. Rudimentary though it may be, I really appreciate the fact that a Breitling pretty much always looks like a Breitling. A clear identity while it doesn't suffer for range. The one person I converse with who knows his share about watches sings praises of Breitling regarding their in house movements and durability etc. Thought they were very well received.

I think their gold pieces are great looking and many appear to pack a major wallop. The Chronomat 44 in yellow gold is a beast and I believe anyone wearing a yellow gold watch, is not wearing it to pick up the yellow accents on the buckle of their loafers. I get why it's garish to some but when I saw that watch at Macy's, it made no apologies.
Old 29 March 2017, 04:58 PM   #9
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
The price difference in the MSRP of a watch on bracelet and a watch on a strap is not indicative of the retail price of the bracelet separately. It's always cheaper to buy the watch on a bracelet than it is to add it after the fact.
Good point. I didn't think of that. Although I haven't priced a gold bracelet on a Rolex, I don't think it's 23k or close but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 30 March 2017, 08:16 AM   #10
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I have seen and worn a few. Basically I think Rolex does Gold watches better than Breitling. Breitling solid gold bands are different from their normal bands, they are have a lot of lightening cuts, the back of the pilot bracelets aren't fully round, but cut out. They do seem to hold value slightly better than expected, but I would go for Rolex for solid gold.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 06:51 PM   #11
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I have seen and worn a few. Basically I think Rolex does Gold watches better than Breitling. Breitling solid gold bands are different from their normal bands, they are have a lot of lightening cuts, the back of the pilot bracelets aren't fully round, but cut out. They do seem to hold value slightly better than expected, but I would go for Rolex for solid gold.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear someone actually owned one I just wondered for my next purchase how tempting it might be to get a hefty, gold Breitling vs. a steel Rolex. The price difference, depending on the model isn't that great.
Old 10 April 2017, 05:34 AM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Not much market

for them I would think. If I were buying all gold I would look at AP or Rolex as they are more accepted in all gold. Just my thought, no slap to Breitling.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote