The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 August 2020, 12:50 PM   #1
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Buying from Chrono24

Hello everyone,
I've beein collecting watches for a while but mostly from AD's, established private sellers on here or like Watchbox or C&C, and Auction houses. However, I've never purchased anything on chrono24.

What is a good protocol to follow when buying a watch from a private seller on there? The seller appears legitimate but I want to educate myself before I drop 10k on a watch. Any tips would be very much appreciated!

Also, any recs for overnight shipping across the US? Best providers? Thanks. I'm new to this sort of buying and I want all the info I can get!
Old 16 August 2020, 01:15 PM   #2
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Find a reputable dealer and skip chrono24. It’s a lot like eBay in terms of landmines.

If that seller isn’t known and trusted by someone you know - don’t do it.

Shipping is overnight, FedEx, inspired via parcel pro only.
Old 16 August 2020, 04:36 PM   #3
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
Find a reputable dealer and skip chrono24. It’s a lot like eBay in terms of landmines.

If that seller isn’t known and trusted by someone you know - don’t do it.
Absolutely this. It's a minefield out there. Why risk it when there are so many known and trusted sellers right on your doorstep?
Old 16 August 2020, 05:22 PM   #4
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooWoundUp View Post
Hello everyone,
I've beein collecting watches for a while but mostly from AD's, established private sellers on here or like Watchbox or C&C, and Auction houses. However, I've never purchased anything on chrono24.

What is a good protocol to follow when buying a watch from a private seller on there? The seller appears legitimate but I want to educate myself before I drop 10k on a watch. Any tips would be very much appreciated!

Also, any recs for overnight shipping across the US? Best providers? Thanks. I'm new to this sort of buying and I want all the info I can get!
Use their communication channel only, not email or whatsapp etc., and stick to the Escrow service only.
Old 16 August 2020, 11:44 PM   #5
PVR
"TRF" Member

I am the lone voice of dissension.

I think C24 is probably the best and safest place to buy a watch. I'm not saying they are all of the best quality and condition, but as far as safety in purchasing it is by far the safest place to purchase.

ebay as you know has PayPal and that is hit or miss. Not to mention you have no real idea who the seller is or if they are a scammer. Yes, Paypal usually protects you but not always and if you are one of the ones who isnt protected then you are out your money.

With C24, the money goes into an escrow account. The money isnt released to the seller until you give the green light to release. That gives you time to inspect it, authenticate it, even have a watchmaker open it up and check it out. If its fake or not as described, you dont need to wait 3 months for Paypal to process it or any risk of appeals. C24 gets the watch back and your money is refunded 100%.

They are now charging some pretty high fees, like 9% to buyers and 4% to sellers plus subscription fees, so its an expensive proposition for buyers and sellers, which is a good thing when it comes to safety. They also require sellers to provide drivers licenses, passports, CC numbers, bank accounts, etc.

I would have no problem buying a watch on C24, just make 100% certain you go through their trusted checkout and do not circumvent the system to save a few bucks or buy directly because then you have no protection at all...
Closed Thread