The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 January 2021, 08:46 PM   #1
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Alpinist 2020, the perfect everyday watch?

I am looking for an everyday watch which I can wear to work and no one will think is expensive, I am after a date on the watch, water resistance, high legibility, good lume, can take to the gym and small ish in size.

The more I think about it, the 2020 alpinist is awesome and fits the bill perfectly. The only downside I can find so far is the cost... Any opinions on this watch and is it as good as I am thinking it will be? Thanks.

In terms of other watches I think would work, the Sub date (but too recognisable and dare I say it boring), the VC overseas (very expensive but does tick all the boxes) and the omega aqua terra.

Old 6 January 2021, 09:02 PM   #2
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Sub is my go to watch when traveling to non safe countries or when doing activities that I suspect could be challenging my APs movements.
For excercise I use a Garmin Fenix, I wan't the body metrics to track progress except if Im staying in a very sketchy hotell, then I take the sub with me on runs/workouts.
Old 6 January 2021, 09:18 PM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
I am looking for an everyday watch which I can wear to work and no one will think is expensive, I am after a date on the watch, water resistance, high legibility, good lume, can take to the gym and small ish in size.

The more I think about it, the 2020 alpinist is awesome and fits the bill perfectly. The only downside I can find so far is the cost... Any opinions on this watch and is it as good as I am thinking it will be? Thanks.

In terms of other watches I think would work, the Sub date (but too recognisable and dare I say it boring), the VC overseas (very expensive but does tick all the boxes) and the omega aqua terra.

I would choose any of the watches you mentioned over the Alpinist . While the Alpinist is nice (I own one), legibility is suspect depending on dial color and it’s just not on the same level as the other watches as reflected in the huge price differences. If under $1000 US is your budget , Alpinist is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 09:42 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like it. Not a lot of money and could be fun and take care of your desire to not stand out as much. Why not give it a try.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 12:07 AM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I own the original green Alpinist. It is a nice, casual niche watch. But the Rolex Sub and Omega Aqua Terra are entirely in a different league.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 02:32 AM   #6
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I like it. Not a lot of money and could be fun and take care of your desire to not stand out as much. Why not give it a try.
Not a lot of money at RRP, hitting £1000 on the used market though. I know its not Rolex money but still quite a bit.
Old 7 January 2021, 06:59 AM   #7
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I think it is a beautiful and perfect watch for your intended purpose; be patient and acquire it at RRP and I think you’ll be very happy. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 10:37 AM   #8
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
I think it can be a cool everyday watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 7 January 2021, 02:51 PM   #9
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Sub is my go to watch when traveling to non safe countries
I guess it is your "cheap" watch?
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 05:47 PM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

What about a Sinn, something like a 104? Super tough, legible, and it won’t attract attention anywhere.

AquaTerra is also a perfect choice, albeit a bit more pricey. I’ve had an AquaTerra for about 15 years and I absolutely love it.

If you want something a little more sporty, a BB58 would also fit the bill.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 05:51 PM   #11
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
What about a Sinn, something like a 104? Super tough, legible, and it won’t attract attention anywhere.

AquaTerra is also a perfect choice, albeit a bit more pricey. I’ve had an AquaTerra for about 15 years and I absolutely love it.

If you want something a little more sporty, a BB58 would also fit the bill.
The AquaTerra I agree would fit perfectly.

I actually have a BB58 which I’m going to wear in rotation with the seiko... but I miss the date function when at work.
Old 7 January 2021, 06:00 PM   #12
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
The AquaTerra I agree would fit perfectly.

I actually have a BB58 which I’m going to wear in rotation with the seiko... but I miss the date function when at work.
Haha, oops, I forgot your date requirement.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 01:26 AM   #13
d4th
Banned

I think a Aquaterra is a great everyday watch.
d4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 02:01 PM   #14
rnothog
"TRF" Member

Watch: always looking...
My Seiko with a similar movement (6r15 vs 6r35) went off the rails, accuracy-wise, after 6 months or so. Positional deviation out the wazoo, losing 20 to 30 seconds daily, defying regulation.

I have three Seiko watches with automatic movements. I won't be buying another until there are A LOT of reports that the situation has improved.

Until then, for an inexpensive watch, I'm going to stick with quartz. I happen to have a nice Bulova and a Citizen Navihawk. They actually keep time, unlike most of my Seiko autos.

The Seiko 6r series are nothing like a higher-end movement. They are basically very average, at best, and made to be replaced if they act up...or make that, when they act up.

For less expensive mechanicals, look for an ETA 2824 or better. Just my opinion, but you are welcome to it. You'll find those who claim that the 6r movements are the equivalent of the ETA 2824 and SW clones, but not in my not-so-vast experience.

I've had two Subs that kept excellent time into old age. Expensive, but I got what I paid for...in the age before smart phones and the internet, I had the correct time.

For years, a Seiko Quartz diver I bought at the Navy Exchange in Subic was my go-to rough-it watch alongside the Subs, which I sold when my kids were in college (one does what one has to do). I need to dig that Seiko out and put it back to work, I guess.

I finally have a Datejust coming sometime this winter, but that won't be so everyday.
rnothog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 02:49 PM   #15
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Seiko SRPs can be had under $400 USD. For a knock around automatic, I'd consider it. I'm also seeing SKXs under $300 USD. However, not sure of the availability there in England.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 06:59 AM   #16
2qne
Banned

Watch: 116500
Personally I think the Citizen Attesa makes a pretty much perfect everything watch.
Lightweight, superbly finished,, durable, accurate, no maintenance, slim profile, dressy, also sporty, and IMHO quite handsome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg citizen.jpg (102.4 KB, 127 views)
2qne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 08:33 AM   #17
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of the that Seiko and I love Seikos. I just cant get over how bad the hand shapes are. Just my opinion.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote