The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2018, 11:04 AM   #31
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'll have what these guys are having.
Definitely.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 11:04 AM   #32
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
i'd get your sons birth year 116610ln
x2
Old 20 February 2018, 12:45 PM   #33
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Does the 116710ln have solid center links on the bracelet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mbdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 12:46 PM   #34
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdurham View Post
Yes.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 12:47 PM   #35
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Yes.

Thanks!

Old 20 February 2018, 01:02 PM   #36
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza_actual View Post
114060. Whether you give it to your son tomorrow or a hundred years from now, it will always be in style.
That’s 1000% true!
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 01:08 PM   #37
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza_actual View Post
114060. Whether you give it to your son tomorrow or a hundred years from now, it will always be in style.
This gets my vote, too. I'd vote Explorer if it were on the list, but if not that then a (new) no date Sub for sure.

One day, when I'm finally up next for a Daytona, I'm putting my Explorer away to give to my (now 8-year-old) for an as-yet undetermined future date/milestone.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 02:06 AM   #38
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

I must admit I am confused as to the used market pricing I am finding (and they are selling pretty fast) 116710LN used/like new are going for around 8k which I thought was due to it being hard to get a new one however I found a local AD that says they can special order and have in two weeks or so for MSRP. I understand the BLNR selling for over MSRP as from what I’ve found they can’t be ordered.

As I first was leaning to an older model so was looking at resellers but since I have gravitated to the newer model I am starting to look elsewhere.

Am I missing something? Granted I would save about 1k including taxes but would appreciate some info from experienced Rolex buyers

Old 21 February 2018, 02:13 AM   #39
Alex Ks
"TRF" Member

I would go with the 116600. It will only appreciate in value and will be quite a real grail in a few years.
Alex Ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 05:13 AM   #40
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I must admit I am confused as to the used market pricing I am finding (and they are selling pretty fast) 116710LN used/like new are going for around 8k which I thought was due to it being hard to get a new one however I found a local AD that says they can special order and have in two weeks or so for MSRP. I understand the BLNR selling for over MSRP as from what I’ve found they can’t be ordered.

As I first was leaning to an older model so was looking at resellers but since I have gravitated to the newer model I am starting to look elsewhere.

Am I missing something? Granted I would save about 1k including taxes but would appreciate some info from experienced Rolex buyers
This doesn't sound all that unusual. The really high-demand sports models sell for more than retail right now, so even $500 or so under retail for the 116710LN in this market indicates both a lower demand, but paradoxically still limited supply relative to where the market was a year or so back. Back then, you could have gotten a pre-owned, unworn one for considerably less, because you could easily walk into an AD and pay retail for a new one sitting in the case. Now you have to special-order a new one (and hope your AD is correct in their ETA), and the pre-owned pricing reflects that. Considering what you're buying this for, I would be inclined to pay MSRP through an AD and get your name on the card - or your son's. You won't be paying much more, but the personalization will make it more of a legacy piece.
Old 21 February 2018, 05:16 AM   #41
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

Great choice
Old 21 February 2018, 05:42 AM   #42
Seekthefinest
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
We just bought our son a birth year watch hoping to pass it along some day. Rolex Daytona 116500 White Dial. While I realize that the serial numbers are random, my AD assured me that watch purchased was manufactured in 2017, which is his birth year, so that will have to be good enough for us. I think this is a great tradition, even though my wife told me that I couldn't be disappointed if he didn't want it someday. I just laughed. Who wouldn't want a Rolex Daytona when you turn 25.
Seekthefinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 07:37 AM   #43
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekthefinest View Post
We just bought our son a birth year watch hoping to pass it along some day. Rolex Daytona 116500 White Dial. While I realize that the serial numbers are random, my AD assured me that watch purchased was manufactured in 2017, which is his birth year, so that will have to be good enough for us. I think this is a great tradition, even though my wife told me that I couldn't be disappointed if he didn't want it someday. I just laughed. Who wouldn't want a Rolex Daytona when you turn 25.

Congrats haha my wife says he will probably want her Apple Watch instead

Old 21 February 2018, 08:06 AM   #44
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Congrats haha my wife says he will probably want her Apple Watch instead
Unless he ends up being into vintage tech that no longer works, I'm guessing she's wrong.
Old 22 February 2018, 01:48 AM   #45
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unless he ends up being into vintage tech that no longer works, I'm guessing she's wrong.

Lol Yep and I won’t let that happen

Old 23 February 2018, 05:51 AM   #46
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Could not find an AD with anything in stock so went to two different retailers today (both had all) and tried on a 116710LN, BLNR, 116610, 16710 Pepsi. I will definitely be going with a ceramic model for this purchase due to all of the improvements but may end up with a 16710 in the future as well. If I go with the GMT I will do BLNR as I preferred it with the two tone bezel but also really like the brushed bracelet, clasp and simplicity of the sub. Overall I am leaning BLNR as I think it will be more special for my son someday (Also my wifes pick) if I can find the right one but if not I may go ahead and pull the trigger on a SUbC as I know I will eventually end up with one anyway.

What surprised me is after not having a Rolex on my wrist for approximately 5 years after wearing one pretty much daily for 12 years is how small both of these seemed in person vs pictures as well as felt on my wrist. Similar feel to when I go from my SMQ Monaco (39x39) to my black Monaco (37.5x37.5) The Rolex felt more like the smaller one which I was definitely not expecting but do seem to recall when I had my Datejust and purchased my Black Monaco and it felt larger. I am sure I will get used to it but was not what I was expecting.

Old 23 February 2018, 06:31 AM   #47
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
What about an SD43? It's an anniversary model that was introduced the same year your son was born. If it's allowed, you could even get his name on the warranty card. If that doesn't spell "heirloom," I don't know what does. (I make this suggestion despite personally preferring the 116610LN, among the options you listed.)
Great suggestion.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 06:44 AM   #48
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Could not find an AD with anything in stock so went to two different retailers today (both had all) and tried on a 116710LN, BLNR, 116610, 16710 Pepsi. I will definitely be going with a ceramic model for this purchase due to all of the improvements but may end up with a 16710 in the future as well. If I go with the GMT I will do BLNR as I preferred it with the two tone bezel but also really like the brushed bracelet, clasp and simplicity of the sub. Overall I am leaning BLNR as I think it will be more special for my son someday (Also my wifes pick) if I can find the right one but if not I may go ahead and pull the trigger on a SUbC as I know I will eventually end up with one anyway.

What surprised me is after not having a Rolex on my wrist for approximately 5 years after wearing one pretty much daily for 12 years is how small both of these seemed in person vs pictures as well as felt on my wrist. Similar feel to when I go from my SMQ Monaco (39x39) to my black Monaco (37.5x37.5) The Rolex felt more like the smaller one which I was definitely not expecting but do seem to recall when I had my Datejust and purchased my Black Monaco and it felt larger. I am sure I will get used to it but was not what I was expecting.

If you go the GMT route, you might want to wait a couple of month and see what Rolex is coming out with for Baselworld. There is a rumor that we might see a ceramic coke GMT introduced, which would be amazing IMO. Of course it's a rumor, but a rumor that make sense since the BLRG (Pepsi) is being discontinued... I still think however than an SD43 is the best idea, it is not that big ( I am wearing one right now) and don't forget that each generation grows taller (and smarter). So 43mm will probably feel to your son like a 40mm feels to you now. Which I actually think is one of the reason watches are getting bigger, it's to accommodate the taller/bigger younger generations.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 07:05 AM   #49
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
There is a rumor that we might see a ceramic coke GMT introduced, which would be amazing IMO. Of course it's a rumor, but a rumor that make sense since the BLRG (Pepsi) is being discontinued...
We need to put that rumor in context. The BLRO (not BLRG) disco could indicate a few things:

(1) It could indicate nothing more than the watch didn't sell well, and nothing will replace it;

(2) It could indicate a Coke in WG will be the replacement;

(3) It could indicate Rolex is redesigning the GMT line, and will be introducing a new WG model this year with the new movement, and that new design will eventually replace all GMT models in the coming years;

(4) It could indicate a Coke SS version is coming this year in the existing design; that's a pretty tenuous deduction, however, since Rolex wouldn't need to discontinue a WG model to introduce an SS one.

In other words, the BLRO disco could mean any number of things. Banking that it means an SS Coke this year is a longshot. Even if that were to happen, it would probably be an allocation piece, given that demand for it would be insane. Anything new at Basel won't hit shops for months anyway.
Old 23 February 2018, 07:09 AM   #50
Hughjazz
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Can't go wrong with your son's birth year 116610LN. It's a timeless classic.
Hughjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 07:13 AM   #51
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

New Rolex after 17 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
If you go the GMT route, you might want to wait a couple of month and see what Rolex is coming out with for Baselworld. There is a rumor that we might see a ceramic coke GMT introduced, which would be amazing IMO. Of course it's a rumor, but a rumor that make sense since the BLRG (Pepsi) is being discontinued... I still think however than an SD43 is the best idea, it is not that big ( I am wearing one right now) and don't forget that each generation grows taller (and smarter). So 43mm will probably feel to your son like a 40mm feels to you now. Which I actually think is one of the reason watches are getting bigger, it's to accommodate the taller/bigger younger generations.

Thanks very much for the information and I am curios and have heard rumors about possible upcoming changes however Coke has never done much for me in the older versions for some reason so I doubt it would in ceramic either. Also I am looking to pull the trigger by my bday mid March or my sons bday mid April.

I saw a SD43 today as well and actually like the size I am just not sure I like the watch enough to pay the premium over a sub or GMT for added capability that I would definitely never use.

If you could upload a pic of of ur SD43 I’d love to see it

Old 23 February 2018, 07:14 AM   #52
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Could not find an AD with anything in stock so went to two different retailers today (both had all) and tried on a 116710LN, BLNR, 116610, 16710 Pepsi.
Who are these "retailers," if not ADs? You mean grey sellers? Also, I thought you said you know an AD who can special order a 116710 LN for you.
Old 23 February 2018, 07:16 AM   #53
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I am just not sure I like the watch enough to pay the premium over a sub or GMT for added capability that I would definitely never use.
You and everybody else who wears it.
Old 23 February 2018, 07:22 AM   #54
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Who are these "retailers," if not ADs? You mean grey sellers? Also, I thought you said you know an AD who can special order a 116710 LN for you.

Yes I suppose grey sellers they have some “new” unworn as well as pre owned. Yes a local AD said they can special order a LN but not a BLNR. I didn’t ask them about a Sub as I was focused on a GMT. They however had nothing in stock so I was looking for somewhere I could see them in person.

Old 23 February 2018, 07:29 AM   #55
para38super
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I felt the same way about the size. When I first tried on my Submariner I felt it was small, but I am used to it now and it feels perfect.
para38super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 08:33 AM   #56
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

I am beginning to wonder if the 116710LN is going to be the one to have instead of the BLNR in the future since it isn’t in high demand right now

Old 23 February 2018, 08:37 AM   #57
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I am beginning to wonder if the 116710LN is going to be the one to have instead of the BLNR in the future since it isn’t in high demand right now
Hard to say. The smart money is on buying the watch that speaks to you now, and that you think you will continue to enjoy, rather than trying to predict what other people will consider desirable in the future. The latter is a sure recipe for ending up with a watch you don't really want.
Old 23 February 2018, 09:37 AM   #58
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

New Rolex after 17 years

Quote:
Hard to say. The smart money is on buying the watch that speaks to you now, and that you think you will continue to enjoy, rather than trying to predict what other people will consider desirable in the future. The latter is a sure recipe for ending up with a watch you don't really want.

Good advice and you are absolutely correct. That’s been swaying my decision a little toward the BAtman and I need to take that out of the equation

Old 13 January 2019, 11:26 AM   #59
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Well it’s been almost a year since I posted on this thread and a year of looking and trying to decide what to buy and finally pulled the trigger on a 116610LN which was delivered yesterday. Yay! Warranty card is dated 10/31/18 and it doesn’t have a mark on it and still has some stickers. I couldn’t be happier!

I ultimately decided I wanted new (or as close as I could get) instead of an early model so that me and my son could make all of the memories with the watch together not to mention I like the improvements of the newer models. I looked very unsuccessfully for one at an AD (even random dealers on business trips) so I could get my his name on the card and I would have probably pulled the trigger on a sub, gmt or whatever if I’d found something in stock. Well maybe not anything I did find a deep sea in stock but after trying it on and debating a bit decided it was way too big to be my every day watch. Ultimately I decided the sub date was what I kept going back too and kept calling my name. The GMT BLNR was a close second but I really do not like the PCL or and couldn’t bring myself to pay $3-4K over MSRP when it didn’t really draw me in. The BLRO as well but do not like the jubilee at all and no way I’m paying double MSRP. The SD43 was also a close third but really didn’t like it more than the sub. I will probably end up with a Batman or Pespi maybe vintage someday or maybe both if I find the right one but for my everyday tool watch the sub pushed all the buttons.

Thanks to all for all of your comments and guidance.

My son who is almost 2 now is sitting beside me on the couch playing with his watch as I am writing this. :)