The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2014, 06:05 PM   #61
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I never understand these requests. Why would you want a tool watch in a precious metal? It's like making an F1 car out of gold, or a tractor out of carbon fiber - you weaken the essential functionality of the piece.
If you ain't a diver and don't use it for work, then it ain't a tool watch. I never understand why this simple concept is so hard to get through people's mind. 99% of Sub owners don't use their watches to dive or for work. I sure didn't buy my DSSD and Hulk so I can dive with them. Rolex would be broke if people only buy them for tool watch purposes....
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 07:19 PM   #62
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass09 View Post
Yup it's white gold n very limited production..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon123456 View Post
Interesting piece

Those emeralds look fantastic!

Something I noticed is that there is no depth rating on the dial. But then who is going to dive with this watch?!!
Old 14 November 2014, 10:45 PM   #63
badass09
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116613LBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Something I noticed is that there is no depth rating on the dial. But then who is going to dive with this watch?!!
Nobody's gonna dive with this watch man.. rofl... rofl.. lol.. lol.. lol.. if they did just the shine from all those diamonds will scare off all the fishes..
badass09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 11:08 PM   #64
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Well, lots of dislike for gold and platinum. Like Tom, I wear all of my Rolexes without fear. That's what insurance is for. My watch budget is definitely more limited, but I would love to have the smurf and platona in my collection. There is just something about them that makes me giddy and weak in the knees. A platinum sub could be awesome, but we won't know unless they make one. Everyone here should know not to buy a watch that doesn't sing to you. Why have one that's not going to see wrist time? Shoot, I'm thinking about wearing one during my next Ironman. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking....in style!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 11:12 PM   #65
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Well, lots of dislike for gold and platinum. Like Tom, I wear all of my Rolexes without fear. That's what insurance is for. My watch budget is definitely more limited, but I would love to have the smurf and platona in my collection. There is just something about them that makes me giddy and weak in the knees. A platinum sub could be awesome, but we won't know unless they make one. Everyone here should know not to buy a watch that doesn't sing to you. Why have one that's not going to see wrist time? Shoot, I'm thinking about wearing one during my next Ironman. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking....in style!!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2014, 12:12 AM   #66
MartyMcFly
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II -Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFZ View Post
Exactly my point, watches are made to be worn.
I also can honestly say that I wear my Rolex watches without any fear.
More power to the both of you, but some of us come from backgrounds with more modest means, therefore wearing 40-60k on the wrist and not worrying about it is a lot harder to do. Call it a psychological impairment, if you will

That being said, I would love to have a platinum sub (no date and minus any encrusted jewels outside of the internals), just for the fact that it doesn't oxidize, is harder than gold and feels heftier than titanium. Add some red lettering on the dial for good measure!
MartyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2014, 12:25 AM   #67
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass09 View Post
Nobody's gonna dive with this watch man.. rofl... rofl.. lol.. lol.. lol.. if they did just the shine from all those diamonds will scare off all the fishes..
...or attract the 'wrong kind' of fish e.g. Barracuda!
Old 15 November 2014, 12:54 AM   #68
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

At he price point Rolex would sell the pt Sub there would be watches with much better movements and complications from companies like Patek and Lange. The Rolex would still have the same movement you find in the $7k ss version: it's the equivalent of putting a vinyl roof on a Buick and adds no functionality.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2014, 10:45 AM   #69
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Same could be said about the platona though. One could buy a platinum datograph like new. People buy what they like.
Old 15 November 2014, 12:29 PM   #70
www777
"TRF" Member

It would be great.
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2014, 12:58 PM   #71
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Plat coke GMT..on that like white on rice
Old 15 November 2014, 02:44 PM   #72
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At he price point Rolex would sell the pt Sub there would be watches with much better movements and complications from companies like Patek and Lange. The Rolex would still have the same movement you find in the $7k ss version: it's the equivalent of putting a vinyl roof on a Buick and adds no functionality.
How is this any different than the Daytona? The 75k Platona has the same movement as the 12k SS Daytona.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2014, 01:56 AM   #73
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Precisely my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
How is this any different than the Daytona? The 75k Platona has the same movement as the 12k SS Daytona.
I wouldn't spend more than it took to buy an ss Sub. And I wouldnt buy any Daytona, period: better chronographs out there.

For the price of precious metal versions of Sub or Daytona you can get watches with significantly more sophisticated movements. For $20K+ I would look for an AP Diver or PP Aquanaut over a pt Sub. Hunt for a used Patek 5980 or Lange 1815 Chromo or Datograph. And I would be happy with pre-owned versions of any of these over precious metal Rolex's to get those better movements.
Old 16 November 2014, 10:00 AM   #74
bmwwilliams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I, GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Platinum is tougher, harder, and more inert than Stainless Steel by far.
This is just totally untrue - Platinum is far softer than stainless steel, although obviously harder than the gold alternative.
bmwwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2014, 04:48 PM   #75
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I think we need to define totally untrue, you don't cute what scale or what way I would be wrong.

I would argue a platinum Rolex would present a great combination of metallurgical properties for a watch over long periods

I don't really want super complex movements. I want tough tested controlled excellence. Rolex in platinum any day given funding for other pursuits.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2014, 07:02 PM   #76
venom43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grail Daytona
I could see a platinum GMT before a SUB. Coke anyone???
ROLEX:(116200)SS DATEJUST,(216570)SS EXPLORER II "POLAR",*(116518-0073)YG DAYTONA*,(116718)YG GMT MASTER IIc,(16610)SS SUBMARINER 50th LV,(16623)TT YACHT-MASTER ~BREITLING:SUPER OCEAN 44 ~JLC:NAVY SEALs ~OMEGA:PLANET OCEAN "LIQUIDMETAL LE" & (2201.51),SPEEEDMASTER PRO "METEORITE DIAL",SEAMASTER PRO GMT "GREAT WHITE" ~TUDOR:BLACK BAY(R)
venom43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 01:27 AM   #77
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Superfluous

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I think we need to define totally untrue, you don't cute what scale or what way I would be wrong.

I would argue a platinum Rolex would present a great combination of metallurgical properties for a watch over long periods

I don't really want super complex movements. I want tough tested controlled excellence. Rolex in platinum any day given funding for other pursuits.
That's like a 911 with an electric convertible top, an automatic gearbox and electric seats. None of them make the car faster or handle better it's just fluff. Or adding big wheels to a Land Rover Defender.

The beauty of a Sub in ss is that it has a purity and honesty of purpose. The more you load it up with precious metal and bling the further away it is from that purpose.

But at the end of the day it's your money and if you enjoy diluting the original premise then go ahead.
Old 17 November 2014, 01:54 AM   #78
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
Beautiful shot.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 02:15 AM   #79
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

They could do whatever they want. We just have to sit back and wait
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 02:44 AM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't think the superior mvmnt argument holds much sway with me here, the Daytona chronograph is reliable and accurate and that is most important. Yes the decorated mvmnts of the PP and esp the Datograph are stunning to look at but on the flip side these can be sent away for many months up if problems arise, up to 8 moonths recorded here, so all in all the pros and cons balance out for me and so I would just go with which I simply liked more.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 03:53 AM   #81
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1 View Post
I would not need a weight belt when diving!
That's what i was going to post.
To dive, just drop your watch wearing arm.
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 04:09 AM   #82
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't think the superior mvmnt argument holds much sway with me here, the Daytona chronograph is reliable and accurate and that is most important. Yes the decorated mvmnts of the PP and esp the Datograph are stunning to look at but on the flip side these can be sent away for many months up if problems arise, up to 8 moonths recorded here, so all in all the pros and cons balance out for me and so I would just go with which I simply liked more.
Agree Neil, well said!

Its all subjective as to what the individual values in a movement. My submariner served me with hard labor for 20 years... I can not ask more than that from a movement. Yes some are more beautiful and decorated and often delicate, this is imho different not better.

Ps as far as the platinum vs SS argument goes, i dont think it would take away an iota of credibility to the sub tool watch aesthetic. It is a durable resilient beautiful metal. The only argument against it is essentially of cost but some forget that if we are talking rolex, we have long ago conceded the argument of cost vs value.... Otherwise we would all be in the Timex forum.
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 04:14 AM   #83
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Agreed. That argument just makes no sense to me.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 05:06 AM   #84
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Agreed. That argument just makes no sense to me.
I should have realized this is the Rolex forum after all and not the Patek forum.
Old 22 February 2018, 03:39 AM   #85
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
chad let's say this will happen this year. what will the dial color be?

i say teal or light blue. i could never see any other color.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:04 AM   #86
Mrcoach32
"TRF" Member

I would love to see a SubC in full titanium. I had an Omega PO 8500 in full titanium (232.90.46.21.03.001) and I absolutely loved it. So light, but so tough. It was my daily for three years and it didn't have a scratch on it the day I sold it, but it was larger (bit too thick for me) and lighter than my current SubC. They could list it for $20k and I'd purchase it tomorrow. For me, it would be the perfect watch.
Rolex 116610LN, Rolex 116710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 126600, Panerai PAM01320, Omega Planet Ocean 232.90.42.21.03.001, Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005, Omega Seamaster 300M 2531.80.00, Tudor Pelagos LHD 25610TNL, Seiko SBDC007, Casio G-Shock GSTS130BC-1A
Mrcoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:11 AM   #87
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcoach32 View Post
I would love to see a SubC in full titanium. I had an Omega PO 8500 in full titanium (232.90.46.21.03.001) and I absolutely loved it. So light, but so tough. It was my daily for three years and it didn't have a scratch on it the day I sold it, but it was larger (bit too thick for me) and lighter than my current SubC. They could list it for $20k and I'd purchase it tomorrow. For me, it would be the perfect watch.
ever heard of the pelagos? yes it is thicker but it is fantastic. and i own the one with the blue dial. now back to the thread topic.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:25 AM   #88
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
If it ever happens, shall we call it the Submarinum?
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:29 AM   #89
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

White Dial would make it stand out for sure.
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:30 AM   #90
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I never understand these requests. Why would you want a tool watch in a precious metal? It's like making an F1 car out of gold, or a tractor out of carbon fiber - you weaken the essential functionality of the piece.
I understand where you are coming from but its not really a tool watch only anymore....its a classic traditional style watch and the PM versions feel and look special.
Jeffreyc87 is offline   Reply With Quote