The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 January 2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Jacobkg
"TRF" Member

Bulgari Octo

Does anyone own a Bulgari Octo Solotempo? I recently discovered it and the pictures are intriguing, as is the Gerald Genta connection. Curious if anyone here owns one or has seen it in person.
Jacobkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 11:24 PM   #2
Only70Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobkg View Post
Does anyone own a Bulgari Octo Solotempo? I recently discovered it and the pictures are intriguing, as is the Gerald Genta connection. Curious if anyone here owns one or has seen it in person.
Not an owner (yet), but had a chance to try one on at the Bulgari Boutique in Zurich, Switzerland. I have a small wrist (cca. 6.3 inches), and the 38mm version looked and felt perfect on the wrist. It wears more like a 40-41mm watch, while the 41mm Octo feels huge on the wrist. The Octo Solotempo has a unique personality that IMHO makes it stand out from even the Genta crowd (of Royal Oak, Nautilus, Ingenieur, Constellation, Polerouter), let alone from other competing luxury steel watches (like GP Laureato, Piaget Polo S, GO Seventies Panorama Date, Tutima Saxon One, etc). I would try to get one from a grey dealer for at least 30-35% off of the list price. I would personally stay away from the "toned down" version of Octo Roma, which IMHO loses exactly the "design spice" that Genta was so great at. The Roma to the original Genta Octo is much like the Aquanaut to the original Genta Nautilus.

Also, I'd stay away from the blue dial Octo Solotempo, on the basis that the watch case and bracelet construction is quite complicated and eye-catching already. The whole watch doesn't need more flashiness by having a sunburst dial with a vibrant colour shade. The gloss black dial fits the whole "package" best IMHO.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of integrated bracelet steel sports watches, having owned the Royal Oak Jumbo 15202ST, GO Seventies Panorama Date and Ingenieur 3239 as well. Even after having some of the integrated bracelet steel sports watch boxes "ticked", I still crave for more of Genta's ingenious creations. It surprises even myself, but I prefer the Octo Solotempo over the Nautilus 5711. It has a more unique, more interesting design, and its bracelet is also superior to Patek's in both look & feel and construction.
Only70Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 12:49 AM   #3
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only70Watch View Post
... I would personally stay away from the "toned down" version of Octo Roma, which IMHO loses exactly the "design spice" that Genta was so great at. The Roma to the original Genta Octo is much like the Aquanaut to the original Genta Nautilus.

For clarity, in case I'm misreading that... Gerald Genta did't design this Octo case, nor the larger version (with GG co-branding on the dial) which was produced between 2004 & 2010.
Those were done by Bvlgari themselves, as Genta had nothing to do with his own brand shortly after selling it to Hour Glass Group in Singapore, from whom Bvlgari acquired it.
The designs obviously pay a certain amount of homage to the original Octo case Genta created for his Grand Sonnerie, but if you viewed both side by side, you'd clearly see that they were completely chalk & cheese by comparison.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...cifically-Octo
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 05:35 AM   #4
Jacobkg
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the excellent and detailed information. Nice to know the 38 works on a small wrist. Did you try the bracelet or strap or both? Sounds like I will need to find my way to a Bulgari dealer to see this in person.
Jacobkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 10:47 PM   #5
Only70Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
For clarity, in case I'm misreading that... Gerald Genta did't design this Octo case, nor the larger version (with GG co-branding on the dial) which was produced between 2004 & 2010.
Those were done by Bvlgari themselves, as Genta had nothing to do with his own brand shortly after selling it to Hour Glass Group in Singapore, from whom Bvlgari acquired it.
The designs obviously pay a certain amount of homage to the original Octo case Genta created for his Grand Sonnerie, but if you viewed both side by side, you'd clearly see that they were completely chalk & cheese by comparison.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...cifically-Octo
Thank you for the clarification, it's very useful actually, since I've never put them side by side. You're right, it's not the same case, and of course not the same dial design either. And it's Bulgari's own bracelet design as well, so it actually has little coming straight from Gerald Genta. Still, the current Octo lineup has a lot to offer to Genta fans and fans of unique industrial designs. If you hold the Octo Solotempo, it has just as unique "feel" as the Royal Oak (IMHO).
Old 30 January 2018, 10:48 PM   #6
Only70Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobkg View Post
Thanks for the excellent and detailed information. Nice to know the 38 works on a small wrist. Did you try the bracelet or strap or both? Sounds like I will need to find my way to a Bulgari dealer to see this in person.
I've only checked the 38mm version on a bracelet. At a previous occasion I've had a chance to check the 41mm version on a leather strap, but since it was huge for my small wrist, I didn't care much to check it out in details. Unless the wearer has a 7.5+ inch wrist, I'd recommend going for the 38mm variant.
Old 31 January 2018, 12:39 AM   #7
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
i used to own a Bulgari Octo. Nice watch, stylish but I will say not very well made. The crown fell off twice by itself during my 6 months of ownership. I got tired so I sold it. That was a few years ago so I don't know if they have improved the QC.
Old 27 May 2018, 01:55 PM   #8
Cocas
"TRF" Member

I am so happy to have a Bvlgari Octo 38mm in my collection.
Cocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 03:04 AM   #9
glamorama
"TRF" Member

What about Finissimo? Did anyone try that on a smaller wrist? Seems cool
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 03:43 PM   #10
UFG
"TRF" Member

TBH one of the most electrifying blue dials in a watch at that price point! I had the chance to try it on in the boutique the other weekend and was impressed by the front. I'm still undecided on the overall look, but I think it's growing on me.
UFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 12:32 AM   #11
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Tried on the 41 mm and seemed way too big...the 38 is still pretty big but definitely manageable and looks great on the wrist...I’m torn between the octo and the Cartier Santos...trying to decide between those two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote