The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 2 September 2017, 12:39 AM   #1
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Is Panerai COMING back?

Lately seems like a lot of people are buying Panerai. Is the brand coming back or people buying because of the steep discounts that can be offered? For a while I was thinking to sell my 389 & 662 that I acquired last year which I've worn 5x.
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 12:54 AM   #2
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
It only left in the world of Flippers in my opinion. It still is, as it always has been, a great design with interesting heritage. Panerai is only getting better with some of their offerings I feel. Its a great time to be a Panerai fan and a great time to buy.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 01:00 AM   #3
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Coming back? Panerai never left

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 01:02 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What Dan & Ruud said!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 01:18 AM   #5
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I'm a new fan and firmly in love ;)
Old 2 September 2017, 01:24 AM   #6
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
agree with dan and ruud....

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 02:29 AM   #7
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Dan2010 is spot-on IMO.
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 03:07 AM   #8
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I'm a new fan and firmly in love ;)
Enjoy your honeymoon Mate!
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 03:13 AM   #9
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
It only left in the world of Flippers in my opinion. It still is, as it always has been, a great design with interesting heritage. Panerai is only getting better with some of their offerings I feel. Its a great time to be a Panerai fan and a great time to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post

Old 2 September 2017, 03:29 AM   #10
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
I thought the whole big watch fad had died off, and those of us who still wear them are hopelessly out of fashion.

I wore my 44mm Big Bang all week, and my 44mm 111E all of last week.
rozyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 04:52 AM   #11
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
I thought the whole big watch fad had died off, and those of us who still wear them are hopelessly out of fashion.

I wore my 44mm Big Bang all week, and my 44mm 111E all of last week.
I must be a real dope then because I have been wearing a 47MM Pam 372 this week.....
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 05:19 AM   #12
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Yup! I must be the most unfashionable guy in town! Lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 09:05 AM   #13
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Yup! I must be the most unfashionable guy in town! Lol

Old 2 September 2017, 10:09 AM   #14
mfer
"TRF" Member

I don't see it coming back. I've seen some watches that I can't believe the price. I saw one that almost made me sick. So for me, no it isn't coming back. I think it will start to hurt the brand when 2nd market gets to far away from MSRP. Think Hublot. I like Panerai, but there needs to be a fix on them. They have few tools available to do this. I feel greatly lowering production volume would help bring prices back up. Richemont will not do this. Oh well.

Oh yeah, improve your service centers.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 10:15 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I'm a very recent Paneristi. I fell for this one ... And it had nothing to do with price
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (90.4 KB, 482 views)
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 10:28 AM   #16
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I'm a very recent Paneristi. I fell for this one ... And it had nothing to do with price
That is stunning!

People say the ''bluesy' Sub has the best blue dial...I'm thinking maybe not anymore...!

Old 2 September 2017, 04:02 PM   #17
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Quote:
Could not agree more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 05:52 PM   #18
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
I have to agree with the consensus - I don't think it ever left, at least among WIS-types. In the general watch buying market I think all brands are taking a hit now (except perhaps the ubiquitous Rolex who live in a micro- climate all of their own).

As a recent convert to the brand I can say that for many years Panerai just fell under my radar and I never took much interest in them. But then I was busy learning about Rolex and building a collection of their watches and I never had the time or inclination to look into Panerai.

It's only when I tried an 8 day Luminor Accacio on in an AD that I became intrigued by the brand and its history and saw there was much to like and admire in their gorgeously styled and unique retro watches. When it stcks to base and Marina models the brand has an authenticity that's very attractive. I'm not as convinced by the recent complications and derivative models like the Due but they are still lovely looking watches.

Any genuine WIS-type if he is open minded ( and not a twat like Watch Snob) can appreciate Panerai and I don't think it's appeal is either passing away or reviving, just adjusting with the same market forces effecting all high end watches.
Old 2 September 2017, 05:56 PM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I have to agree with the consensus - I don't think it ever left, at least among WIS-types. In the general watch buying market I think all brands are taking a hit now (except perhaps the ubiquitous Rolex who live in a micro- climate all of their own).

As a recent convert to the brand I can say that for many years Panerai just fell under my radar and I never took much interest in them. But then I was busy learning about Rolex and building a collection of their watches and I never had the time or inclination to look into Panerai.

It's only when I tried an 8 day Luminor Accacio on in an AD that I became intrigued by the brand and its history and saw there was much to like and admire in their gorgeously styled and unique retro watches. When it stcks to base and Marina models the brand has an authenticity that's very attractive. I'm not as convinced by the recent complications and derivative models like the Due but they are still lovely looking watches.

Any WIS-type if he is open minded ( and not a twat like Watch Snob) can appreciate Panerai and I don't think it's appeal is either passing away or reviving, just adjusting with the same market forces effecting all high end watches.
Spot on
Old 2 September 2017, 10:53 PM   #20
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
I don't see it coming back. I've seen some watches that I can't believe the price. I saw one that almost made me sick. So for me, no it isn't coming back. I think it will start to hurt the brand when 2nd market gets to far away from MSRP. Think Hublot. I like Panerai, but there needs to be a fix on them. They have few tools available to do this. I feel greatly lowering production volume would help bring prices back up. Richemont will not do this. Oh well.

Oh yeah, improve your service centers.
So Panerai is the next Hublot. Wow. At least there will be more people who stick up for that brand.

Buy what you like.
rozyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 11:37 PM   #21
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
So Panerai is the next Hublot. Wow. At least there will be more people who stick up for that brand.

Buy what you like.
I didn't say that, rather think about how Hublot 2nd market is. I know someone who got a 372 for $4000 recently. That is a 10k watch. I just helped a member here get a STEAL of a deal on a 232. I mean cheap. Thought it was to good to be true but it was real it seems.

As most here know, I'm a Panerai fan. Have been longer than most and not a recent Panerai convert. I own 3 now and have had 6 models for over 9 years now.

To me it is a supply vs demand problem. The brand is well loved but the service center needs help as well.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:35 AM   #22
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

I bought my one & only Panerai back in November 2016.
About a year before that, I had fallen in love with a picture some random had posted on Instagram of a 372.
I couldn't stop looking at it, it sort of mesmerised me somehow!
Anyway, long story short, fast foreward 1 year and I'd finally convinced the wife it was a good idea that I added one to my small collection!
Whilst in the AD I was shown a 673 - virtually the same as the 372 but with minor detail changes such as the dial txt and slightly modified P3000 movement.
Anyway, the point I'm coming round to is that nowadays I very rarely wear anything else.
I absolutely adore the thing and regardless of fashion trends will continue to do so for many happy years to come.

Regards..

Old 3 September 2017, 05:49 AM   #23
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 10:41 PM   #24
Pam673
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
Lately seems like a lot of people are buying Panerai. Is the brand coming back or people buying because of the steep discounts that can be offered? For a while I was thinking to sell my 389 & 662 that I acquired last year which I've worn 5x.
If you mean like the golden days where their watch hold value in the 2nd hand market similar to Rolex than no...that ain't happening.

The 000 and 005 used to hold value so well that you won't lose more than 10%when bought new. If you bought 2nd hand you will most likely break even or even make some money if sell privately.

In those days all SE/LE models appreciated.

Sadly not anymore.
Pam673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 04:00 AM   #25
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I am actually finally thinking of buying a Panerai, just because of the great discounts that can be had right now and the second hand prices dropping. I am looking at getting a used 000 or 112, or maybe a new 560 or 562. The 560 and 562 I have already tried at a local dealer and they have them in stock. The prices are actually not very far apart between the two discontinued models I looked at and the new ones(except the 562 in titanium). I just need to make up my mind...
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 08:58 AM   #26
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I am actually finally thinking of buying a Panerai, just because of the great discounts that can be had right now and the second hand prices dropping. I am looking at getting a used 000 or 112, or maybe a new 560 or 562. The 560 and 562 I have already tried at a local dealer and they have them in stock. The prices are actually not very far apart between the two discontinued models I looked at and the new ones(except the 562 in titanium). I just need to make up my mind...

Good choice and congrats in advance IMG_4082.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 September 2017, 01:08 AM   #27
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Just SOLD my 389 today - got a decent price considering the 2nd market isn't what it used to be. I'm letting go my 662 that's LNIB condition if anyone in HK is interested:)

Nothing wrong with the brand - selling to raise funds for my next piece
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 12:38 PM   #28
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
The entire watch market for all brands seems to be depressed considerably. At this time it is a buyers market. Meaning it's a good time to be a buyer but a poor time to be a seller. The larger watch market is about at the top of the pile but from what I am reading it may not go any farther. However, one can never tell. The prognosticator's on line are similar to weather men. They take all the data they collect and then make a SWAG on the future. SWAG = Scientific Wild Ass Guess. So who knows. A SWAG is as good as flipping a coin.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 12:57 PM   #29
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nope. It will never be as hot as it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote