The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 October 2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
New canister garage vac

Picked up a Hoover GUV today. I can't believe I waited so long to get a canister vac for the garage. Should have done this years ago. It's incredibly convenient vs wheeling a damn shop vac around. There isn't a spider alive with 32 feet of this thing!

Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 03:33 PM   #2
machob55
"TRF" Member

That's awesome!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 04:39 PM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Nice, it'll serve you well for many years
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 08:09 PM   #4
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Sweet!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 08:47 PM   #5
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 09:40 PM   #6
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Is GUV made in USA?

I'm a lifelong sucker for Hoovers but the last 3 upright units haven't lasted too long, 1 was even replaced with new within warranty... all not made in USA

Whereas grandma's USA-made Hoover Constellation ball (which looks like Death Star ) is 60yrs+ old & still functions perfectly today. Don't make them like they used to.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 03:35 AM   #7
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Is GUV made in USA?

I'm a lifelong sucker for Hoovers but the last 3 upright units haven't lasted too long, 1 was even replaced with new within warranty... all not made in USA

Whereas grandma's USA-made Hoover Constellation ball (which looks like Death Star ) is 60yrs+ old & still functions perfectly today. Don't make them like they used to.
It looks to be made in Mexico from a QVC listing I found. Not sure how accurate that is because they only have a 1 year warranty shown when it actually has a 3 year from Hoover. I found that Griot Garage extends that to be a lifetime warranty even on the motor. A motor is about $100. I went the Amazon route mostly because the price was significantly less than Griot and I would imagine if the motor doesn't burn out in 3 years, should be good to go. Also got free 2 day shipping with Prime and I'm impatient
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 14 October 2017, 03:37 AM   #8
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
A vacuum on the garage wall is an amazing thing. The car stays clean and no hassle with the shop vac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 October 2017, 06:10 AM   #9
stockae92
"TRF" Member

that sucks! .... literally. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 10:04 AM   #10
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
It looks to be made in Mexico from a QVC listing I found. Not sure how accurate that is because they only have a 1 year warranty shown when it actually has a 3 year from Hoover. I found that Griot Garage extends that to be a lifetime warranty even on the motor. A motor is about $100. I went the Amazon route mostly because the price was significantly less than Griot and I would imagine if the motor doesn't burn out in 3 years, should be good to go.
My current Hoovers (bought here in oz) are Mexican too, not China. It's not the motor giving up but the plastic bits breaking. No use having good motor when the chassis is busted & wheels have fallen off.

I have a proper ShopVac(tm) for man's work it's DIY triple filtered, but sounds like a hurricane... gotta wear earmuffs when I ShopVac

Helped prep cars for concours shows in my younger days, only thing better than a good vac is an airline. Blow better than suck! Wife keeps nagging why do I keep a big fleet of ancient Electrolux barrels around, but they're still the only ones where I can attach the hose to their air outlet & blow. Haven't seen any new vac with that feature anymore.

These days if I do participate in car show just drive there don't bother even washing or polishing... it's all about "authentic patina" right??
Old 14 October 2017, 10:11 AM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ping Only View Post
A vacuum on the garage wall is an amazing thing. The car stays clean and no hassle with the shop vac.
There IS one thing better than a ShopVac in your garage... a HondaVAC!
https://www.engadget.com/2013/03/27/...dyssey-vacuum/

Built in into your Odyssey think JDM Pajero had a similar option too.

It's a godsend if you've got kids to cart around. Don't get time to mope around in garage anymore, it's all wasted away from home waiting waiting waiting for them in the car...
Old 14 October 2017, 09:30 PM   #12
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

I'm hoping the Hoover is more reliable than the "Honda" in my garage lol. That little b@stard has/is going to cost me a few $$. Might as well picked up a Ferrari honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 October 2017, 09:51 PM   #13
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
I'm hoping the Hoover is more reliable than the "Honda" in my garage lol. That little b@stard has/is going to cost me a few $$. Might as well picked up a Ferrari honestly.
Heh... all the Italians in family fleet weren't good experiences long term... sure they drive well (ONCE THEY DECIDE TO START) but then it's a string of bad luck thereafter.

Why can't they make cars (especially soccermum mobiles) that can be simply hosed out? Just open the doors, unplug drainhole in middle of floor and turn on the firehose much more fun then trying to scrape kiddy spew off upholstery & trying to deodorise the stink.
Old 15 October 2017, 11:28 AM   #14
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Looks like QVC was off where it was made too. Apparently it's right on the box. Doh!

Old 15 October 2017, 11:49 AM   #15
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Nice, Hoover's are great! Congrats!
rolex75216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 12:29 PM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
looks right at home.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:10 PM   #17
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Heh... all the Italians in family fleet weren't good experiences long term... sure they drive well (ONCE THEY DECIDE TO START) but then it's a string of bad luck thereafter.

Why can't they make cars (especially soccermum mobiles) that can be simply hosed out? Just open the doors, unplug drainhole in middle of floor and turn on the firehose much more fun then trying to scrape kiddy spew off upholstery & trying to deodorise the stink.

I want to say that was a selling point of the Honda Element. You could just hose the floors out. Maybe it was just the concept car. Never gone for a ride in one but it sounds familiar.