The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 September 2017, 04:15 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Haters?

I am very much hoping to keep this thread civil.

I am bringing this up because I would like to hear what people think.

Everywhere I look, on every comment section basically everywhere...

Every forum, every news site, every fitness site, every car site....

Haters. The absolute vast majority are haters. Often times even here, with a bunch of fine people, there is a lot of shade being thrown around.

It appears that everyone simply wants to put down, insult, demean and judge nearly everything out there.

Even in traffic, the same people that ride the bumper in front of them so no one can merge, are then themselves merging not 2 minutes later.

Is this just who we are as a species? I am getting jaded. Very jaded. Thinking the hermit life might be the best thing for me.

What am I missing?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:16 AM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I hate this thread.

Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:18 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I hate this thread.

Sigh. Just a huge sigh. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Old 30 September 2017, 04:21 AM   #4
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Too many people getting bent about stuff that just doesn't matter.

Best to take a break from social media when it gets to you. I do that from time to time.

Honestly though, this place is probably the least offensive place I visit. Facebook is one of the worst...

If I've done or said anything that gets to you, I apologize. That is not my intent.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:22 AM   #5
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Sigh. Just a huge sigh. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Someone had to post the smarta5s answer. I just got here first. Now that it's out of the way, you should get serious responses.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:23 AM   #6
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Sadly, it is true. A lot (L O T) of people have the need to share sadness, envy, misfortune...lemons.

To me, if life gives me lemons; I do not make lemonade. I open a bottle of tequila and deal with them!

Cheer up! Haters are gonna hate. Always. Their problem, not mine.

..now, how about some tequila???
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:24 AM   #7
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Someone had to post the smarta5s answer. I just got here first. Now that it's out of the way, you should get serious responses.
(made me laugh, a LOT!!!!! Hated it afterwards )
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:28 AM   #8
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
People don't like themselves and talk down on others to make them feel more worthy.

Petty people live petty lives:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:34 AM   #9
BristolCavendish
Banned

Seth, it's a sign of the times. Folks who don't feel good about themselves (or the situation at hand) often feel the need to lash out at others. The daily news is filled with various accounts of 'the blame game'.

It's far easier to attack than to work out an equitable solution. There are too many vested and self-serving interests at play.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:52 AM   #10
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
All of us are plugged into to the media to one degree or another.

The news media are generally negative one way or another.

Social media was probably intended to be more positive, but as we see, there are those who would interject negativity into any discussion regardless of topic and in so doing, poison the well.

To a large degree whether we realize it or not, this tone of negativity can influence our daily lives.

My strategy is to limit my exposure to media to the bare minimum and then only to the extent that I can be apprised of current events.

Social media is out of the question, except TRF, which is well-regulated.

When I go about my daily affairs, discussions of politics are very limited, and most of the people I encounter are tolerant at least on the surface, as we are all more interested in the activities at hand.

If I find my self in a relentlessly toxic environment, I do my best to find a quick exit.

Sadly, what you see around you on a daily basis is pretty much the way things are, so the best course is to recognize the reality and spread a little sunshine along the way.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:57 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
People are savages.
Old 30 September 2017, 05:08 AM   #12
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
The media including social media is the problem IMO. Seems everyone drives their own agenda whether it is the news or folks in traffic. How can I make this work to my advantage. They try and make it sound like it is for everyone, but in most cases it is for themselves.

I do not watch the news anymore. Generally a sports fan, but now even sports is talking politics all the time.

At some point we (wife and I) will go off the grid to a remote island somewhere and retire there.

This is the only forum I am active on anymore. For the most part it is very civil here, especially compared to other sites.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:13 AM   #13
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Is this just who we are as a species? I am getting jaded. Very jaded. Thinking the hermit life might be the best thing for me.

What am I missing?
You're not the only one.

Life wasn't like this before all this stupid social media crap, was it?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:14 AM   #14
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Haters?

Read this thread, it might help a little as there are some great nuggets of wisdom:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...hlight=sayings

I don't have time to get bent over other peoples BS.

I have to agree it is getting a little weird out there...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:15 AM   #15
Syed117
"TRF" Member

It makes it a lot easier when you come to terms with the fact that humanity as a species is bad.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:20 AM   #16
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
I am very much hoping to keep this thread civil.

I am bringing this up because I would like to hear what people think.

Everywhere I look, on every comment section basically everywhere...

Every forum, every news site, every fitness site, every car site....

Haters. The absolute vast majority are haters. Often times even here, with a bunch of fine people, there is a lot of shade being thrown around.

It appears that everyone simply wants to put down, insult, demean and judge nearly everything out there.

Even in traffic, the same people that ride the bumper in front of them so no one can merge, are then themselves merging not 2 minutes later.

What am I missing?
You’re not missing anything, Seth. It’s just a reflection of the world we live in today. Which is why you can’t worry about what other people think; haters are always going to hate. You just can’t let it get you down or take away from your own personal fulfillment.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:23 AM   #17
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I agree with you 100% and it's something I to have noticed. People are angry and into themselves. People in Orlando are much more angry than those in Ontario, it's just something I notice going back and forth.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:26 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I confess I have been watching some really trashy reality TV late at night recently for some reason, and most of the girls, who are attractive and are actually looking for love, go for the bad boy cheaters who are clearly only after one thing over the nicer stable guys, time and time again and then they always cry and scream and then swear they won't again, so there is just something dark in human nature that is attracted to the negative.

While this forum is uniquely very positive, it is also no coincidence that most members are probably doing well for themselves and so there is less jealousy and hate and selfishness than you see most anywhere else.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:29 AM   #19
drosen1
"TRF" Member

Everyone has their own opinions. Maybe they aren't haters they just genuinely don't like something.
drosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:29 AM   #20
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I confess I have been watching some really trashy reality TV late at night recently for some reason, and most of the girls, who are attractive and are actually looking for love, go for the bad boy cheaters who are clearly only after one thing over the nicer stable guys, time and time again and then they always cry and scream and then swear they won't again, so there is just something dark in human nature that is attracted to the negative.
Reality TV is usually NOT reality. IMO
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:32 AM   #21
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosen1 View Post
Everyone has their own opinions. Maybe they aren't haters they just genuinely don't like something.
You can't be serious?

Not liking something is one thing. Spewing endless vitriol is quite another.

And the vast majority of everything I am seeing is endless name calling, demeaning and anger.

If someone does not agree with it, they demean it. If someone does not like it, they destroy it with words or deeds.

Maybe it is just me. But it appears based on some of the other answers here, that I am not alone.

Old 30 September 2017, 05:36 AM   #22
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
The media including social media is the problem IMO. Seems everyone drives their own agenda whether it is the news or folks in traffic. How can I make this work to my advantage. They try and make it sound like it is for everyone, but in most cases it is for themselves.

I do not watch the news anymore. Generally a sports fan, but now even sports is talking politics all the time.

At some point we (wife and I) will go off the grid to a remote island somewhere and retire there.

This is the only forum I am active on anymore. For the most part it is very civil here, especially compared to other sites.
Can my wife and I join you? I don't snore, we go to bed early and rise early. Plus, I'm pretty skilled with tools and computers and I'm a competent boater.
Old 30 September 2017, 05:37 AM   #23
Bryant Park
Banned

I think it is the reality of hyper public communication combined with almost complete anonymity. This lack of personal connection causes people to care more about winning what is supposed to be a discussion then communicating, and forging bonds. We also now are taught to assume the worst of someone because of the impersonal nature of how we communicate.

Not trying to reinforce your negative mood. On the bright side I think people are generally as they have always been meaning caring, compassionate, humane etc when they are together.

With all that said I hope you have a better day. 6 weeks ago I hadn't heard of you yet earlier this week I was one of 20+ people sincerely wishing you good luck at an interview. Something to be said for people's caring for you. Cheers and that is one super dog.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:37 AM   #24
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Can my wife and I join you? I don't snore, we go to bed early and rise early. Plus, I'm pretty skilled with tools and computers and I'm a competent boater.
Of course, as long as you golf and smoke cigars. That is a requirement for entry....
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:38 AM   #25
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Of course, as long as you golf and smoke cigars. That is a requirement for entry....
Well, I'm not very good at golf, so you'll probably win most of the time, but I do smoke cigars.
Old 30 September 2017, 05:39 AM   #26
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
You can't be serious?

Not liking something is one thing. Spewing endless vitriol is quite another.

And the vast majority of everything I am seeing is endless name calling, demeaning and anger.

If someone does not agree with it, they demean it. If someone does not like it, they destroy it with words or deeds.

Maybe it is just me. But it appears based on some of the other answers here, that I am not alone.
It is called the degradation of society, and it has been snowballing over the last several decades. Not sure of your approximate age but I am in my mid 50's and growing up as a kid people seemed nicer and things were generally simpler.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:42 AM   #27
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
It is called the degradation of society, and it has been snowballing over the last several decades. Not sure of your approximate age but I am in my mid 50's and growing up as a kid people seemed nicer and things were generally simpler.
43. And I agree. People did seem nice back in the day.

Old 30 September 2017, 05:51 AM   #28
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
I think it is the reality of hyper public communication combined with almost complete anonymity. This lack of personal connection causes people to care more about winning what is supposed to be a discussion then communicating, and forging bonds. We also now are taught to assume the worst of someone because of the impersonal nature of how we communicate.

Not trying to reinforce your negative mood. On the bright side I think people are generally as they have always been meaning caring, compassionate, humane etc when they are together.
I tend to agree with you. Look at how people pulled together after hurricane Harvey hit Houston. That's just one example of the good nature of people when they are in a group situation and have to work and communicate together.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:52 AM   #29
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I tend to agree with you. Look at how people pulled together after hurricane Harvey hit Houston. That's just one example of the good nature of people when they are in a group situation and have to work and communicate together.
Given that your real name is GOD I am glad we are on the same page around humanity.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:53 AM   #30
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
A big amen there,,, I'm 56 btw.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote