The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: How would you act?
Buy it and flip it for a profit. 49 43.36%
Say no thanks just because that is what is right to do. 26 23.01%
Say no because you might get "caught". 0 0%
Say no because the orofit isn't worth the hassle. 16 14.16%
Other (please describe). 22 19.47%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 October 2017, 02:58 PM   #31
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
A poll regarding honesty and integrity...

Other (please describe)...

Buy It! Offer it on TRF to a Watch Lover and just cover your costs...

The good things you do for others will come back to you. Every positive action creates multiple positive reactions.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 03:28 PM   #32
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I don't think this has much to do with honesty and integrity.

Is it wrong to buy a product when it is offered?

Is it wrong to sell your own property, whether or not a profit is made?

This is what's called the free market in my humble judgement.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 03:50 PM   #33
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Is there even a law (or AD agreement) against owning multiples?

Does it make difference if your earlier unit was bought grey with markup?

tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 04:11 PM   #34
SearChart
TechXpert

Well you've 'waited' and this is essentially free money.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 05:07 PM   #35
martinr
"TRF" Member

I'd flip it. What's funny is we call people on here trusted sellers and flippers is exactly what they are. I'd also try and get as much as I could for it. It's not an honesty and integrity issue.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 06:28 PM   #36
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
I would buy it and sell it. There is nothing wrong with making a profit. That’s called free enterprise. That’s what keeps things going, money. Do you think our “friends” in the for sale section aren’t making something? I have no clue how this has anything to do with honesty nor integrity.
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 07:35 PM   #37
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Go on take the money and run.
Old 14 October 2017, 07:38 PM   #38
MonBK
Banned

I would buy it, flip it and sleep well.

What does this have to do with honesty and integrity?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 07:41 PM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
I'd tell them I already own one and thank him for the courtesy. I don't really need 2 Daytonas, for profit or otherwise.

Unless it's a different color dial than the one I already have. j/k
Wel said Ed
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 07:44 PM   #40
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
The scenario is as follows:

You already own a SS white face ceramic Rolex Daytona. A long forgotten dealer call yields a call saying " your name came up the watch is yours at list". Please answer honestly and whichever most describes the driving factor behind your action.

This was driven by a discussion on PP and no character attacks should result please.
IMO there is a difference so i voted "other". Flipping a mass produced daytona for a profit is acceptable to me where as flipping a LE Patek is less acceptable to me personally. I personally make a distinction between a collectors piece and a commodity. I might be splitting hairs here but we all have our own definition of what we are ok with and what we are not.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 08:04 PM   #41
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Someone here had the same thing happen to him and he offered the chance to purchase the watch up to another forum member which I thought was a very nice gesture. So, that is what I would do in your situation.

Flipping it for a profit would certainly be a possibility but I wouldn’t want to hassle with it personally.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 08:05 PM   #42
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew7 View Post
If someone I was friends with wanted it, I'd probably buy it and sell it to them at no profit. Otherwise, I'd pass.
What he said

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 08:13 PM   #43
themast
"TRF" Member

Voted 'other'

I would try to hook the dealer up with a friend who I know wants the watch.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 09:19 PM   #44
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
I'd tell them I already own one and thank him for the courtesy. I don't really need 2 Daytonas, for profit or otherwise.
x2

They are rare enough that others should have the chance to enjoy one without paying through the nose.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 09:56 PM   #45
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
It would depend on my relationship with the store. If it was a list Daytona from an AD I had no relationship with or expectation that we might do business again I would purchase and then do what I wanted. I was number two on my AD list from original release date For a new Daytona-C and I took my name off the list because I was not over the top with the watch. I also have a long term relationship with them that I would not do anything to harm. I do not see this as an ethical situation unless you misrepresent information.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 11:37 PM   #46
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
For me scalping a watch is not worth the hassle, so no.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 12:17 AM   #47
Bigblu10
Banned

There is no lack of integrity buying and flipping a luxury watch for profit. After all, the guys selling watches in the for sale section are in business to do exactly this!

Lack of integrity to me is; Big box retailers selling $5 cases of bottled water for $50 in the wake of a natural disaster such as a devastating flood or natural disaster. That is not capitalism, IMO.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 12:41 AM   #48
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Not worth the hassle to me, but I would post the opportunity on TRF and help someone buy it.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:16 AM   #49
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
In the name of keeping my integrity intact, I'd hold on to the new one and sell the one I already have.
Old 15 October 2017, 01:18 AM   #50
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
In the name of keeping my integrity intact, I'd hold on to the new one and sell the one I already have.
Well played
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:30 AM   #51
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Allow me to rephrase the poll...

You are walking and $4000 falls out of the sky and hits you square on the head.

A) keep it

B) walk away

C) give it to a friend

I'm not wealthy enough to pretend I would pass on 4K in my pocket. I'm 29 and have plenty of uses for that free money. Buy for a dollar sell for two doesn't make you the devil. It makes you a capitalist.

This

I buy and flip watches when the opportunity comes available. If there's a potential for profit why not? Its not like you are hurting the seller.... You are paying full retail for their product - what happens next is irrelevant.
Old 15 October 2017, 01:50 AM   #52
Flywheel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

Is it wrong to buy a product when it is offered?

Is it wrong to sell your own property, whether or not a profit is made?

This is what's called the free market in my humble judgement.
Thank you. The very premise of this question wrong. It implies there's some element of high-minded charity in buying and selling luxury watches. Just be clear, rolex is a business in the business of making money.
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:59 AM   #53
KarlS
Banned

I was nt looking and was offered a blackdial in September. I went through the normal protestations asking who would I be depriving , is he a good customer, more deserving blah blah blah...I shouldn't as somebody is probably desperate and I am ambivalent etc etc...3 days later said "bollocks...I have bought the right to play and said yes...send it to me" at the moment I wear it and I don't know if it's a long term keeper...life ain't fair ..that's just reality!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 02:06 AM   #54
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
Thank you. The very premise of this question wrong. It implies there's some element of high-minded charity in buying and selling luxury watches. Just be clear, rolex is a business in the business of making money.
Actually I don't have any issue at all with buying and flipping. I am as much a capitalist and believer in free markets as anyone.

I have however grown tired of the endless stream of people complaining about scarcity of Daytonas, the unfair reality that they can't buy a 5522, under production, etc and blaming Rolex and PP. We should look in the mirror and stop whining. A significant percentage of our community is exposing a view that creates their very own inablilty to get the watches they covet yet we blame the brands.

I have always been able to get what I wanted from my AD because they know I am loyal and don't resell unless an exception to the rule. Many of the responses suggest they want their cake and eat it to. I don't think they are wrong just unrealistic.

So now I know I will be attacked for this view but that is the answer to how I have managed to get some amazing hard to get watches. You can hate on my saying it but the results are what they are.
Old 15 October 2017, 02:16 AM   #55
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
What is unethical about taking the profit? It's as though people should have the right to buy an underpriced luxury watch and flippers deprive them of that right! It's not like Rolex is a charity and is passing on a much loved piece for you to treasure, it's all just business, if they wanted to change the market conditions they very easily could by no longer underpricing/undersupplying these models - it is the Rolex strategy that creates this issue, not market participants who are acting rationally.

Offer me a watch I can resell for a profit and I'll take it, I'll try it for a few days and see if I like it and what I personally think it's worth. If it's worth more to me than the trade in, I'll keep it, if it's worth less to me than trade in then I'll sell it. I just see it as a free option to try something new.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 02:19 AM   #56
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
What is unethical about taking the profit? It's as though people should have the right to buy an underpriced luxury watch and flippers deprive them of that right! It's not like Rolex is a charity and is passing on a much loved piece for you to treasure, it's all just business, if they wanted to change the market conditions they very easily could by no longer underpricing/undersupplying these models - it is the Rolex strategy that creates this issue, not market participants who are acting rationally.
Agreed so pay up, build a relationship with a dealer or wait. No more tears. It's business. But to say you would flip and then complain about scarcity or the price is pure hypocrisy in my opinion.
Old 15 October 2017, 02:21 AM   #57
Flywheel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually I don't have any issue at all with buying and flipping. I am as much a capitalist and believer in free markets as anyone.

I have however grown tired of the endless stream of people complaining about scarcity of Daytonas, the unfair reality that they can't buy a 5522, under production, etc and blaming Rolex and PP. We should look in the mirror and stop whining. A significant percentage of our community is exposing a view that creates their very own inablilty to get the watches they covet yet we blame the brands.

I have always been able to get what I wanted from my AD because they know I am loyal and don't resell unless an exception to the rule. Many of the responses suggest they want their cake and eat it to. I don't think they are wrong just unrealistic.

So now I know I will be attacked for this view but that is the answer to how I have managed to get some amazing hard to get watches. You can hate on my saying it but the results are what they are.
It's not an attack, and it's certainly not hatred. I just don't accept the premise that a question of flipping is related to honesty or integrity.
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 02:23 AM   #58
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
It's not an attack, and it's certainly not hatred. I just don't accept the premise of the question.
Sorry not taken that way at all
Old 15 October 2017, 02:37 AM   #59
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
Agreed so pay up, build a relationship with a dealer or wait. No more tears. It's business. But to say you would flip and then complain about scarcity or the price is pure hypocrisy in my opinion.
The flipping is a result of the undersupply and underpricing, it's the supply issue which fuels the demand. That is why Rolex do it. Fix retail pricing or supply and the demand will reduce significantly, as will hype, desirability and secondary values.

The list price is pretty meaningless, the secondary value is the true price of the watch. If you wouldn't buy one at secondary price, then acting rationally if you bought one at list you should resell it if someone offered you than the secondary market value for it. Why would you not sell something that you can get more for than you think it's worth!

And if you think it's worth the secondary price, then you could go and buy one right now anyway.

I don't have any issue with the tactics of undersupply or underpricing, I think it is truly genius how well it works and how much these companies have got us paying for simple watches. If I wanted a Daytona Ceramic I would go and order one online right now for £15k, it's not tricky and I have no issue paying the market price for something.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:05 AM   #60
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Does it have a black face??

Last edited by sparky; 15 October 2017 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: needed a space between "a" and "black"
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote