The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: How would you act?
Buy it and flip it for a profit. 49 43.36%
Say no thanks just because that is what is right to do. 26 23.01%
Say no because you might get "caught". 0 0%
Say no because the orofit isn't worth the hassle. 16 14.16%
Other (please describe). 22 19.47%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 October 2017, 03:15 AM   #61
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Don't get me wrong the watches always come first but I'm not naive. These are just luxury goods. What we do with them doesn't determine our character.

There's a weird proclivity on here to judging the occasional flipper yet praising those who do it for a living. I find that odd but I digress...

Yup, I'm 32 with a baby on the way. Probably gonna need $4k in diapers
I'd probably first see if any of my friends/family wanted it. Then on to the open market.
Old 15 October 2017, 03:54 AM   #62
kearez
"TRF" Member

I voted for too much hassle, but why not take it sell it, and then add the extra cash for Christmas? That's what I would probably do.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 06:11 AM   #63
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
Actually I don't have any issue at all with buying and flipping. I am as much a capitalist and believer in free markets as anyone.

I have however grown tired of the endless stream of people complaining about scarcity of Daytonas, the unfair reality that they can't buy a 5522, under production, etc and blaming Rolex and PP. We should look in the mirror and stop whining. A significant percentage of our community is exposing a view that creates their very own inablilty to get the watches they covet yet we blame the brands.

I have always been able to get what I wanted from my AD because they know I am loyal and don't resell unless an exception to the rule. Many of the responses suggest they want their cake and eat it to. I don't think they are wrong just unrealistic.

So now I know I will be attacked for this view but that is the answer to how I have managed to get some amazing hard to get watches. You can hate on my saying it but the results are what they are.
I think the fact that you've spent a few hundred thousand dollars helps as well.
Old 15 October 2017, 06:23 AM   #64
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I think the fact that you've spent a few hundred thousand dollars helps as well.
So you mean I have earned it and paid for it I did mention I am a capitalist so I won't hide from it.

Being a good customer both conduct and cash wise should and does matter in my opinion.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 06:46 AM   #65
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
So you mean I have earned it and paid for it I did mention I am a capitalist so I won't hide from it.

Being a good customer both conduct and cash wise should and does matter in my opinion.
No doubt and I agree. Was just saying it plays a larger role than anything, as it should.
Old 15 October 2017, 10:02 AM   #66
tng11
"TRF" Member

I'd take it and flip it. No shame in admitting it - it's a free market. I don't see why there is a question of honesty or integrity here.

Now, if the AD had said "please don't flip it" or is offering it to you as a goodwill gesture based on the premise that you will wear it, then I wouldn't.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 10:35 AM   #67
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
If I already had one, I’d pass on it or hook up a friend. I wouldn’t hassle with flipping it.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 11:46 PM   #68
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I was nt looking and was offered a blackdial in September. I went through the normal protestations asking who would I be depriving , is he a good customer, more deserving blah blah blah...I shouldn't as somebody is probably desperate and I am ambivalent etc etc...3 days later said "bollocks...I have bought the right to play and said yes...send it to me" at the moment I wear it and I don't know if it's a long term keeper...life ain't fair ..that's just reality!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

j/k
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 02:20 AM   #69
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I like to think that I have a good relationship with my local AD. That relationship would probably be ruined if they knew I bought it just to flip.

If it was some AD that I have no relationship with, I'd probably buy it and flip it.
Bluside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 02:25 AM   #70
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

I would kindly ask for a black dial as that’s the one I really want.
rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 03:03 AM   #71
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
I would buy it and stash it away unworn. Down the road, you could gift it to someone for a special occasion. This option preserves your relationship with the AD, and quells any possible feelings of guilt flipping for a quick buck.
Old 16 October 2017, 11:24 AM   #72
derekstlmo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sd4000
I would sell it to me
derekstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote