The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2017, 12:49 AM   #1
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Thoughts on the MB GLE 43 AMG

Anyone own one? Thinking about leasing one for the wife but I’m new to Mercedes. I normally buy BMW but this time around we are gonna change things up. I don’t think the GLE 63 is necessary so I’m leaning towards the 43. How’s the handling, exhaust note? I haven’t actually gone to the dealer yet to test drive the car but as soon as I get some time I will get in there. Do they lease well? The MB config website spits out some crazy numbers for lease (Ex: $11,000 down on 36 mon 12k year lease @ $1000/mo). I wouldn’t dare put money down on a lease car. Since this model is still new and in demand should I expect little to no discount? Anyone with some info would be helpful.
Tonyfsu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 01:09 AM   #2
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I'm considering a new SUV and looked at the new GLE. I can't opine about the leasing as I don't lease my cars. It's about 80k so I would imagine $1000/mo is in the ballpark.
It seemed nice, but not 80k nice IMHO. If I want a go fast car, I don't think I'll be looking at an SUV so I'm not sure the AMG packages are useful for a mall crawler.
I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go, fortunately I'm not in a hurry. I always think go big and keep it 10 years, but it hasn't happened yet. Though my wife's Mercedes will likely make it 10+ years as she never drives it. ��
Good hunting.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 03:23 AM   #3
mschafer
"TRF" Member

We have a GLE 350 4matic since last year and love it. Spacious, quiet, solid long distance driver, but manageable in the city. Gas mileage isn’t too bad either. I don’t miss any extra power, as I’m not driving this at autobahn speeds. So far, absolutely no issues and 2 visits to the dealer for service, 23k miles. Also, they’re a top safety pick from IIHS. On the other side the upgraded headlights are a must and service is generally expensive, but you can prepay at discount and roll it into your lease.
And being a bit of a car nerd, MB is testing the new models now to be introduced in 2018 as a 2019 model, current refresh was introduced basically for 2016 model year, so we’re halfway there. If you lease, not an issue, purchase will see a bit of a drop. Also, consider a GLC, a bit more car like with easier egress and similar space and a bit more modern interior.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 06:46 AM   #4
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I would disagree with the above posters respectively and suggest usable power and torque are quite important in an SUV. Gearing helps but if you’re towing hauling going over mountains or on high altitude trails power is important.

I’d also look at the jaguar f pace, rr velar/sport/full fat, and audi suvs as well. Additionally the G63 is a great option.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 07:01 AM   #5
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I'm a big fan of the Porsche options, Macan GTS if you dont need as much space and driving dynamic is a priority, Cayenne GTS/Turbo for more room.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 07:09 AM   #6
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I would disagree with the above posters respectively and suggest usable power and torque are quite important in an SUV. Gearing helps but if you’re towing hauling going over mountains or on high altitude trails power is important.

I’d also look at the jaguar f pace, rr velar/sport/full fat, and audi suvs as well. Additionally the G63 is a great option.
Personally for me the GLE 350 is perfect, it's a good car had one for 11 months the power is perfect for the car. I've been through high performance suvs previously and they just don't do much for me they really arnt too much fun and I wouldn't bother getting big engines in suvs again the 350 or 250 are fine. I drove the 250 aswel and power is fine for the car. I would highly recommend the GLE to be honest
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 09:43 AM   #7
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Thanks all. The space is needed for sure as we have 2 young children. Porsche time comes as soon as the kiddies get out of the car seats!
Tonyfsu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 12:19 AM   #8
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I test drove a GLE about a year ago and liked it but I wasn’t blown away by it. I thought the BMW X5 was a better drivers car. Then I drove a Macan Turbo and holy crap that thing is fun to drive. I know, the Macan is smaller but it drives like a sports car.

Haven’t driven the AMG versions of any of the Mercedes sport utes but I’ve heard they are quite good. The Mercedes dealers around here don’t seem to keep many of them in stock so they can be a bit tricky to find at any given moment.

I just returned from a trip to Florida where we rented a brand new BMW 740i and I was really impressed by it. Smooth, quiet, powerful enough and cavernous interior and trunk. I might jump from Mercedes to BMW when my E550 starts getting up there in miles.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 01:32 AM   #9
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Driven about every SUV/CUV out there over the last year. The GLE 43 is nice but I did not care for the seats. The GLC 43 actually has better seats and more legroom and IMO is much more fun to drive. Not sure if it is large enough for the car seats and comfort up front, but do drive one. Really nice all around vehicle. Tried to get my wife in one, but she liked the smaller GLA more and we ended up purchasing one last month.

The F Pace is a nice vehicle and a little larger for the "smaller" segment. Great interior and drives sporty. Did not care for the back end looks. Have not driven the Velar yet, but sure like the looks and features.

The BMW X5 is nice, but oddly did not have much legroom even though it is bigger than most of the others I drove.

The Macan was on the top of my SUV list. Great driving vehicle especially the Turbo model. No dealer close to me so decided to pick and MB.

In the end I ordered a C43 Cabriolet, but it was a difficult decision between the Cabrio and GLC 43. Just cannot seem to shake the ragtop thing. Patiently waiting until Dec/Jan for mine to get here.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote