The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 February 2013, 03:37 AM   #1
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Breitling or Rolex

I thought I would post here in hopes of a little more neutral thoughts. Names aside, which company's watches do you prefer? I traded in my superocean heritage for the milgauss gv, and to be honest, I think I prefer the SO. I recently saw the transocean and absolutely love it. I know they don't quite carry the prestige of Rolex and the resale can be horrid, but I hate to feel like I may be owning something just for the name, when there is something I may enjoy more, and it is actually chreaper. The wife says to just get another watch. Not sure if I want $10k in watches.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 03:51 AM   #2
salem65
"TRF" Member

Watch: JS Watch co. 101
I like models from both brands. I wouldn't buy one brand over another simply because of name. If you like the SOH more than the GV then that is all that matters. I personally prefer the SO over the Sub and Speedy over Daytona, but there are lots of Rolex I like too.
Old 11 February 2013, 06:24 AM   #3
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
I would go with the Sub over the SO, but would choose a Breitling chrono over the Daytona. Btw, the Transocean is great!
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 06:30 AM   #4
T.S.Eliot
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
It all depends on personal taste and need. Both companies have their history and each has its distinctive timepieces. Breitling is a spots watch purely with the Navitimer up front while Rolex has both spots and formal.

At the end, get what makes you happy and satisfied
"Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, / Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep seas swell / And the profit and loss. / A current under sea / Picked his bones in whispers. / As he rose and fell / He passed the stages of his age and youth / Entering the whirlpool. / Gentile or Jew / O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, / Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

Cheers,
K
T.S.Eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 06:36 AM   #5
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quality wise, they are about the same tbh. The anti-reflective coating on the breitlings are AMAZING, best in the industry I think, better than the Bremonts etc. The B01 chrono movements are awesome as well, very high quality and accurate.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 06:39 AM   #6
69mach351
"TRF" Member

I am on the fence. I may pick up another breitling, put the Rolex away for awhile and see how much I miss it. We`ll see.
Old 11 February 2013, 06:42 AM   #7
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
I would go with the Sub over the SO, but would choose a Breitling chrono over the Daytona. Btw, the Transocean is great!
I specifically like the SO heritage. I think it is one of the best looking watches out there. I had the burnt orange model and picked up the Bentley bracelet for it. Gorgeous IMO.
Old 11 February 2013, 08:27 AM   #8
NoobSubmarinerOwner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Get the one you like and don't worry about resale value.
NoobSubmarinerOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 11:57 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think many Breitlings, such as B01, Steelfish, Seawolf, are very well made and are priced very well bought used, and are on a par with the older Rolex sub models but I feel the new ceramic Rolexes are possibly a slight step up in quality and feel, however this is factored into the price. For $8K Id buy a ceramic Rolex, for $5K Id buy a B01.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 12:10 PM   #10
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Your wife is telling you to get another watch and you're resisting?
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 12:11 PM   #11
rahible
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref. 214270
I went to our AD to look at a transocean heritage. I had only seen any luxury watches online. After seeing the peice in person, i decided it easnt for me, not that ther was anything wrong with it. We went to the store early on a weekday, and the sales person put just about every watch brand on me. My wife pointed out a Rolex Explorer I that I took home. I like to think it picked me.

I'm not saying that the Rolex was better, get the watch you want and like and which you can afford.
rahible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 12:41 AM   #12
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Your wife is telling you to get another watch and you're resisting?
I am a little (a lot) more conservative with money than my wife is. I prefer travel/experience rather than buy a lot of expensive toys and when we travel, we don't travel cheap.

I have been looking at some SOH for a decent price though. I think I could find one sub $2k if I keep looking. The only used Transocean that I have found is $3500, which isn't horrible. I do have a good dealer I know that I could probably get a decent price on both the SOH and the Transocean if I trade in my Milgauss though.
Old 12 February 2013, 09:23 AM   #13
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Get what make you smile.

Old 12 February 2013, 10:26 AM   #14
bde
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholics anonymous
To me Breitling is more cutting edge, and modern in design whereas Rolex is still more traditional. Breitling employs more technology in their timepieces, and Rolex more precious metals. They both offer sport and dress models, with Breitling having more in the former and Rolex in the latter categories. I've owned watches from both companies and like them equally well.
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 02:06 PM   #15
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Like the look on the breitling but pick Rolex because of the brand.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 02:37 PM   #16
salem65
"TRF" Member

Watch: JS Watch co. 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by h999r View Post
Like the look on the breitling but pick Rolex because of the brand.
So, you would buy and wear a watch that you didn't actually like the look of because of the name on the dial?
Old 12 February 2013, 03:31 PM   #17
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
I won't buy both. I prefer other brands that I like more. But if you want me to pick between these 2 , I pick Rolex.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Watchonisto
Banned

Watch: AP, ROLEX, PP, PAM
Rolex for me
Watchonisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Raucky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss Wht V
I understand where you are going with the "brand" thing. I really like both Rolex and Breitling, but I bought a SO44 over a Sub (I like the rubber strap & metal strap combo) and I went with a limited B01 Chronomat over a Daytona (I need a Date feature and I like the color combo better). I know lot of people here would tar and feather me for saying this, but I'm a little more modern with my choices. I'll probably grow up one of these days, but I tell my wife "no promises".
Old 13 February 2013, 01:45 AM   #20
drchuck72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116520
First off, this IS a Rolex forum so the opinions will not be that objective. Having said that, my first real luxury watch was a Submariner (after owning a few TAGs). My next one was a Breitling Windrider Chronomat Evolution. I think my choice was influenced by a fellow I met in a SCUBA diving class in Hawai'i back in '95. He talked about how Rolexes were stodgy and old school and Breitlings were much more forward thinking in their design and technology. Of course I didn't know much of anything back then and it stuck in my head. I still really wanted a Rolex but I knew that my next watch would be a Breitling. I still have both but I can honestly say that my Sub gets much more wrist time than the Chronomat. The Breitling is a bit blingly for my current tastes. Probably why my Daytona gets more wrist time too. The PCLs are a little more blingy than the brushed bracelet of the Sub but more subtle than the entirely polished pilots' bracelet on the Chronomat.

So, in conclusion, probably Rolex for me too. I'm also not a huge fan of the font on the divers' bezel on the SuperOcean.
Old 13 February 2013, 09:56 AM   #21
Christiaan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Breitling Navi
Get what ever is calling you. Nothing worse than wearing one watch and wishing you had the other. I really like many of the Breitling models, especially the transocean and unitime. The B01 is awesome and the B04 is great as well (too big for my taste though). If the breitling is calling you, get the breitling.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been and there you will long to return." DaVinci

Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 10:12 AM   #22
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
Why not have both? But get the watch which YOU want.

I started with Rolex, added two Breitlings, and two Rolexes over the years. I am likely to add another, but it will likely be a ROO.

If I ever sell my Breitlings (highly unlikely), I will likely take a hit with them -- not so much with the Rolexes.

With that said, buy the watch that appeals to YOU.

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 01:03 PM   #23
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Breitling is such a different feel - bulkier and has more presence.

A Rolex, although common, seems IMO a more refined piece.

That being said, I LOVE my chronomat evolution! And get looks and compliments on it constantly.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2013, 06:09 AM   #24
NYresq
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, TT Serti Sub
I have a Rolex DSSD, a TT sub, a Breitling Super Avenger, Ti seawolf and a Ti chrono avenger.

what I wear depends on what I am doing, what I am wearing and where I am going... 90% of the time, the DSSD is my daily wear...
Buy what you like and forget what name it has on it.

In reality, no one else cares, and if they do, then they aren't really your friend...
NYresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2013, 08:31 AM   #25
v5cog

Watch: Audemars Piguet
I've always had a soft spot for Breitling, it was my first aspirational watch, I remember seeing a bi colour Chronomat and thought.. Dam that's one awesome watch, the detail,styling,finish was sublime, and to me... They still have that same appeal than most Rolex models, the detail on the case round the pushers is beautifully crafted, along with the highly polished finish...well 5 breitlings later I still love my Crosswind Special I however ... Needed to scratch the Rolex curiosity itch.. And brought the DSSD... Don't get me wrong... I really liked it and It's an awesome watch but... I got bored of it really quickly... The finish wasn't as nice and if I'm honest it was a little bland by comparison! It was traded after about a year of ownership!
In horological terms Breitling has a richer history than Rolex... And deserve a better standing than they have, going since 1884 some twenty years before rolex, and they have produced a grand complication model in the montbrilliant QP, not seen Rolex even attempt such a piece
But... Rolex mastered the art of advertising,and soon became a household name and the brand image machine began... Breitling in house movements IMHO are slightly better than Rolex... The calibre b01 & b44 is a superb chrono movement more so than the Daytona, plus it has a date
But I guess buying a watch is a personal choice, just as personal as buying a car or a house... I have never been one for buying things just because its a status symbol, Over the years i have learnt to buy a watch because its quality,history, and above all its uniqueness, if it sings to me... That's why I will never sell my CWS ... It'll always take pride and place next to my AP... And why shouldn't it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (179.9 KB, 2802 views)
v5cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2013, 09:07 AM   #26
Deego
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD , DJII , YMII
I don't recommend breitling...i had a breitling for bently and i sold it totally NEW with all the tags etc etc for 50% percent of what i had originally paid!!! It has the worst resale value!!
Deego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 02:35 PM   #27
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

I've owned Subs and GMT's I like them ALOT an they are extremely durable. I always liked the Chronomat Evo. But couldn't justify the price because it was a modified 7750 off the shelf movement. 7750's are great but you can get a less decorated Movement in a off brand for 1/3-1/2 of what the Chronomats were. Now when they did the B04 movement and the new Chronomat Evo, I fell in lust at first sight. I know there are ALOT of people here that don't like the new design and the "space invaders" font for the numbers. I personally love it. I bought one! I still have the 168000 and the GMT 2C. I love them too. Having the GMT function with a chronograph and a Date. Ya!!! I love it. It is bigger and blingy and I'm sure most people think its another over the top Invicta, but I have not worn either of my Rolex's since I got it.
Yes the one down side is the resale is not that great. Buy because you love it and wear it regardless of the brand. My 2 cents.
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 01:58 AM   #28
Topcat25
"TRF" Member

Rolex/breitling

Rolex always
Forget breitling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.4 KB, 2740 views)
Topcat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 04:08 AM   #29
Jasonrogers1975
"TRF" Member

Resale rolex but bentley lings hold a soft spot in my heart.
Jasonrogers1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 08:20 AM   #30
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I own two Breitling watches and two Rolex watches.

I buy watches I like not brand names
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote