The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 February 2021, 09:28 PM   #1
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Incoming! Czapek Antarctique 'Secret Alloy'

[This review was lost during The Great TRF Hack of 2021. Here it is once more, slightly adjusted and reposted for posterity. Enjoy ]

Strange times can lead to unexpected ends. And so it has proved with our little hobby.

Five years ago, perhaps even three, if I’d been looking for a new sports watch, I would simply have walked into my nearest Patek or AP boutique, handed over a credit-card and walked out with either a 5711, or a 15202.

But the world has changed, and the watch environment too. In 2018, as my young family grew and I realised that my trusty 5066a would probably not survive its third decade once introduced to my three rambunctious children, I set off to my local Patek boutique, and ‘my’ AD. I had expected to buy a new watch there and then, didn’t expect the snarling and derision, and I left realising that buying a watch was no longer a straightforward, pleasant experience to be savoured.

What I wanted was quite simple: a watch capable of being unceremoniously dunked into a bubble-bath, smeared in baby-snot, stolen from the bedside table and hidden in the freezer (true story) without missing a beat. Before two kids became three, I had bought a Rolex BLNR as the ‘ultimate beater’ (probably, unbeknownst to me, part of an implicit 'bundle' with the Lange 1 I’d previously purchased from the AD), and though it weathered the storms admirably, it was too large, too loud, too Rolex. I found myself pulling down my cuff, embarrassed by that shock of blue and black. Yes, I wanted something bulletproof, but I realised that couldn’t come at the expense of also being both exquisite and understated.

So I searched. Once Patek and AP fell by the wayside, Vacheron was the obvious choice, but the Overseas proved bulbous and awkward. I tracked down new and upstart brands previously unknown to me: Urban Jurgensen One (incoherent design), Blugari Octo Finissimo (monolithic on my wrist), FPJ Line Sport (too large). Owning a Lange I was terribly excited by the launch of the Odysseus and duly fell in love with it when I happened upon the press day in the London Lange boutique, but despite owning a Lange and discussing the watch with the company CEO, I apparently did not warrant an allocation.

Lange's gorgeous Odysseus

Dejected, I resigned myself to the Rolex ever more.

Then, a news flash fizzed on one of the many watch blogs. Czapek - a company I had never heard of - had launched a new sports watch. It resembled a bezel-less Vacheron 222 (my all-time favourite of the genre), and as I scrolled through the photos, it just looked… right.

But who would be crazy enough to throw $20k at an unknown? Not me, I thought, and so I closed the browser window and tended to the kids. Yet as the house quieted and the sun dropped, I kept coming back to that page. After several dozen reads and re-reads, I sent off an exploratory message, just a request to ‘know more’. Following from my recent experiences with other brands, I did not expect a reply, let alone a ping on my phone from Xavier de Roquemaurel, Czapek CEO. As we talked, so his friendly confidence, his openness and clarity, proved a breath of fresh air.

Despite myself, I placed an order.

On New Year’s Eve, a handful of hours before my home exited the European Union, the watch arrived. With that familiar excitement and trepidation nibbling at my gut, I opened the box.

What a relief when your (high) expectations are realised; what a pleasure when they’re exceeded. A watch that seemed compelling on the screen was even better in the flesh. Though the 40.5mm diameter was larger than I hoped, with the Antarctique’s short flanks and its tonneau case, the watch sits fantastically even on my 6” wrists. Though not exceptionally thin - 10.6mm in height - it wears much much thinner due to the scalloped cutouts on either side, the tiered construction of curved bezel and gorgeous vintage-style top-hat crystal. It does not wear dissimilarly to my Aquanaut at 7mm, though on paper it is substantially thicker.

Similarly smart and thoughtful details are in evidence throughout. The quick-release for the bracelet (a round switch manipulated by a tool or a fingernail) is well incorporated, while the crown is deeply engraved with the Czapek logo, and winds with a mechanical precision and confidence reminiscent of my Lange. The brushing of the case, too, is deceptively simple: on close inspection, it forms a starburst radiating out from the centre of the dial, and the cut-out for the date window follows the same lines. Swinging through its arc, the bright red tip of the second-hand gives a pop of colour to a starkly monochrome piece.

The watch launched with five dials - I chose the ‘secret alloy’, an unusual, raw metal that has been gently scraped with an uneven brush to reveal a random vertical texture, ringed by a highly polished minute track. It is almost impossible to capture in photographs, playing with the light to shift from ice-cold steel to a warm golden brown. The sword hour markers are as intricate as a Grand Seiko - multiple facets always twinkling - and to return to Japan, the case itself boasts razor edges sharper than anything I have seen except an unworn 1960s GS 45.

I swore aloud when I first turned the watch over. I own an open-backed Lange and PP, so I am no stranger to beautiful movements. This Antarctique, though… it’s a different breed. It is a testament to Czapek’s balls - a statement of intent really - that they didn’t try and compete with the big boys but instead sought to plough an entirely different path for their first home-grown heart. I like to think of the contrasting philosophies as divergent architectural styles: whereas the Patek and Lange are John Nash neo-classical terraces, the Czapek is Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water House.

John Nash's Regent's Park Terraces

Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water House

Though beautifully ornate, the Patek and Lange movements are inherently conservative in their design and construction: the delight comes from those embellishments. The Czapek, however, is intended from the outset to be innately dramatic. Though the fundamental quality is there, the movement is sparingly decorated in comparison to the more established brands. Yet, with the micro-rotor whirring, plunging down into the depths of the watch to reveal every layered piece of the machinery ticking away in its unique purpose, the resulting vista is absolutely mesmerising.

After living with the watch for two months, I believe this rear view, this conscious decision to be different, is emblematic of the spirit of this little company. What they've achieved is quite remarkable, gathering together - in a global pandemic - a collection of some of Switzerland’s pre-eminent suppliers (for instance, the dial-maker, Metalem, also manufactures for Philippe Dufour) to create a watch that can take the fight to any of the big boys, and perhaps win. I own a Patek Aquanaut, and I own an AP Royal Oak, and in no way does the Antarctique feel a poor relation.

Beside my AP 14790

Are there things that I believe could be improved? Though the bracelet is beautiful and comfortable (more flexible than an AP RO, less so than an Oyster or an Odysseus), coming in the box pre-sized and complete with an adjustment tool and a selection of full-size, half-size, and extra-large links, I still haven’t been able to find quite the right length. Xavier has told me that a new quick-adjust clasp is being designed, to be fitted to future Antarctiques, and sold at cost to existing owners. This will correct the one criticism I have.

With the supplied bracelet and rubber strap.

More instructive, though, was the time spent - via video and text - by Xavier personally, helping me adjust the bracelet on my watch. His enthusiasm and patience knows no bounds, and he has always been eager to help, day and night, weekends too as I hacked at the bracelet with the supplied tools.

Tools, warranty and instructions supplied in the 'toolbox'.

Czapek is clearly a proud and dedicated company, one that has already demonstrated a willingness to go over and above, a desire to be better than the competition, and better than they really need to be to sell the minuscule numbers of Antarctiques they will produce. I shouldn’t be surprised, though, because in an era of clamouring consumers, when watch companies don’t really need to try at all to have their watches snapped up in a frenzy, every inch of this watch screams that Czapek tries harder.

mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 11:12 PM   #2
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Thanks for the review and congratulations !!!
Old 1 March 2021, 12:42 AM   #3
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Gorgeous. Wish it weren't part of a limited set so that the window would be open for me to buy one too
Old 1 March 2021, 01:31 AM   #4
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Great watch, congrats!

This is the best alternative so far to a 5711, Lange's Odysseus is hideous.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 01:59 AM   #5
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Great read the first time around and even better the second. Thanks for sharing (again).

Fantastic watch and IMO far nicer on you than that Lange thing :) Ask your Lange guys what happened at the Japan focus group meeting when they proposed the watch to their VVVIP :)

After reading last time I contacted them and had a lovely email interchange with Pierre. Next trip to Switzerland I will try and stop by the manufacture.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 02:50 AM   #6
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Agreed Czapek customer service and passion is astonishing
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 02:55 AM   #7
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Great looking watch.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 03:04 AM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Great review. Interesting details

congratulations
Old 1 March 2021, 07:46 PM   #9
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_baron View Post
Gorgeous. Wish it weren't part of a limited set so that the window would be open for me to buy one too
These 'Terre Adélie' first production with the lamé dials are long sold out, but Czapek released the 'Passage de Drake' earlier in the year. Apart from the grey (which sold out almost immediately) the other colours are not limited, though the company can only produce a few hundred a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Thanks for the review and congratulations !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Great looking watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Great review. Interesting details

congratulations
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
Great watch, congrats!

This is the best alternative so far to a 5711, Lange's Odysseus is hideous.
For my sins, I still love the steel Odysseus. There are apparently rumours that the bracelet will be changed, and I think I'm the only person in the world who really likes it as it is. I can't really abide the integration of the rubber and leather on the white gold version, and it is the undisputed comfort king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Great read the first time around and even better the second. Thanks for sharing (again).

Fantastic watch and IMO far nicer on you than that Lange thing :) Ask your Lange guys what happened at the Japan focus group meeting when they proposed the watch to their VVVIP :)

After reading last time I contacted them and had a lovely email interchange with Pierre. Next trip to Switzerland I will try and stop by the manufacture.
Oooh, do spill the beans about the Japanese meeting!

When you do visit, please post pictures. I'd love to see the workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Agreed Czapek customer service and passion is astonishing
Old 1 March 2021, 10:38 PM   #10
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Nice to see an example from this lesser-known brand, not a lesser brand. Congrats on picking it up and thanks for sharing.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 12:43 AM   #11
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Thx for this thread it was a great read

Congrats on a really nice piece

The Lange hate makes no sense. In the metal and on the wrist it’s fab
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 01:22 AM   #12
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
My problem with the Lange is the bracelet overpowers the watch instead of complimenting the watch. At least in the pictures and videos I've seen. I've never handled the watch in person but that's just my opinion.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 01:40 AM   #13
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
My problem with the Lange is the bracelet overpowers the watch instead of complimenting the watch. At least in the pictures and videos I've seen. I've never handled the watch in person but that's just my opinion.
It's beefy, sure, but the Lange's spirit is that of a burly bruiser, so it doesn't seem out of place.

It's a very different animal to the Antarctique (and indeed most other high-horology sports watches), making no attempt to be svelte or elegant.
Old 2 March 2021, 01:44 AM   #14
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Great review and congratulations! Very nice piece indeed.
Old 2 March 2021, 08:01 AM   #15
kimodaz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16750
Being a longtime watch collector I have acquired watches representing many of the top brands today. As most of you know the last couple years many of the top brands have become unobtainable at their list price to most of us. With that in mind I have been looking at some of the new Independents in watch Horology.
Having read some of the recent reviews on Czapek watches I decided to do some research on this Company and they seem to be the real deal. I like the watches I've seen and wish I hadn't missed some of the limited edition models before they sold out. I still have my eye on a couple very nice pieces that are available at this time and I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of them.
Will post more in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
kimodaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 11:00 AM   #16
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Just saying Hi

I am Mike Margolis, long time watch nerd and I run Czapek Americas.

If I can help anyone, please message me!
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 11:47 AM   #17
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Hey mike I’m going to go to Cellini on the east side tomorrow to check out the brand
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 01:05 PM   #18
Sjmoore11

Watch: Exp II - old & new
What an amazing watch!
And thanks for the great review.
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 10:45 PM   #19
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
Nice to see an example from this lesser-known brand, not a lesser brand. Congrats on picking it up and thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Thx for this thread it was a great read

Congrats on a really nice piece
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Great review and congratulations! Very nice piece indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
What an amazing watch!
And thanks for the great review.
Cheers guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimodaz View Post
Being a longtime watch collector I have acquired watches representing many of the top brands today. As most of you know the last couple years many of the top brands have become unobtainable at their list price to most of us. With that in mind I have been looking at some of the new Independents in watch Horology.
Having read some of the recent reviews on Czapek watches I decided to do some research on this Company and they seem to be the real deal. I like the watches I've seen and wish I hadn't missed some of the limited edition models before they sold out. I still have my eye on a couple very nice pieces that are available at this time and I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of them.
Will post more in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Must agree - as I inquired more, I found their openness about partners in their 'horizontal manufacturing' deeply impressive. It's like a 'who's-who' of Swiss horological talent.

I'd love to hear more if you pull the trigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemargolis View Post
I am Mike Margolis, long time watch nerd and I run Czapek Americas.

If I can help anyone, please message me!
Hey Mike, nice to meet you over there on the other side of the pond...
Old 3 March 2021, 01:53 AM   #20
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Great to see you on here Mike!
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 02:32 AM   #21
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
Great write up, thanks for sharing. Congrats on a wonderful timepiece.
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 10:39 AM   #22
kimodaz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16750
Czapek Faubourg de Cracovie Océan d’Or

Well I pulled the trigger and put my deposit down for the LTD. ED VFaubourg de Cracovie Océan d’Orand and I have to agree that the Czapek people are excellent to deal with.
cobraRG-1536x1152.jpg

Last edited by kimodaz; 4 March 2021 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: add pic
kimodaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:21 PM   #23
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch and movement. Congratulations!
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 01:10 AM   #24
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimodaz View Post
Well I pulled the trigger and put my deposit down for the LTD. ED VFaubourg de Cracovie Océan d’Orand and I have to agree that the Czapek people are excellent to deal with.
Attachment 1206219
Absolutely gorgeous! Can’t wait to see pics and hear impressions when it arrives...
Old 5 March 2021, 08:14 AM   #25
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

Fantastic! I've got a Czapek "Quai des Bergues" and it's an amazing watch.
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 03:26 PM   #26
alllexandru

What a beauty!!
Thanks for taken the time to share with us.
Stunning watch and the mvt is a gem!
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 03:56 PM   #27
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

does the passage de drake dial have depth or is it flat? also is there any connection to the historical czapek other than name? cool watches nonetheless, love the movement
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 07:46 PM   #28
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
does the passage de drake dial have depth or is it flat? also is there any connection to the historical czapek other than name? cool watches nonetheless, love the movement
I haven’t seen the Passage de Drake in the flesh, but from what I understand, the dial is ridged with texture throughout.

The company has no connection to the historical Czapek, but to their credit they’re very open about it, and have not tried to claim otherwise. They’ve also been using historic Czapek movement design and aesthetics to inform the resurrection.

I personally have no issue with anyone using a defunct name. It’s how you frame the history and what you do with that name, and IMO Czapek’s been doing it right.
Old 5 March 2021, 09:02 PM   #29
Cru Jones

Nice photos and review, thank you for sharing.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2021, 12:52 AM   #30
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Thanks for the review and pictures. Really enjoyed it.