The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2024, 08:51 AM   #31
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnyc718 View Post
Gents,

Thank you for all your thoughts and opinions on the trade, I do appreciate the feedback. I do plan to move forward as I think its a fair trade in my opinion. Time is money and dont have the time to sell the watches myself and take any risks on that end.

Amen, I think it’s the smart move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:21 AM   #32
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Calm down brother…just wanted to hear peoples thoughts, I’m a big boy and can make my own decisions. Dont get mad at me because you missed your oppty.
I think you’re reading more into my message than there is. Anyway your mind is set on doing it so by all means do the trade. It’s your money.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 03:55 PM   #33
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Right move IMO, amazing watch to own you will see! Plus its value can only go up on the long term (if that even matters to you). Major congrats in advance!
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 12:30 AM   #34
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Right move IMO, amazing watch to own you will see! Plus its value can only go up on the long term (if that even matters to you). Major congrats in advance!
Thank you sir! Definitely looking forward to my first Patek!
rolexnyc718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 01:57 PM   #35
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
Have you bought or sold on Moda? If you are patient, you can get a 2023 for 35-36k. Can also sell the hulk and Pepsi for an equal amount. Certainly some risk for three separate transactions but might save you the 5k…
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 04:23 PM   #36
Seo
"TRF" Member

Enjoy the watch, i honestly feel it’s one of Patek’s best, it’s become my daily
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 11:50 PM   #37
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
Have you bought or sold on Moda? If you are patient, you can get a 2023 for 35-36k. Can also sell the hulk and Pepsi for an equal amount. Certainly some risk for three separate transactions but might save you the 5k…
I didnt want to go that route as its too much work on my end to sell. Im ok that i got less overall by selling to dealer.
Old 23 February 2024, 12:51 AM   #38
tng11
"TRF" Member

As someone who has been hunting for a 5212A as of late, they seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper by the day. Japan has some of the best prices in the world for secondhand pieces and seem to forecast where prices will go elsewhere. When I was there in September 2023, the cheapest 5212 I could find was 33K for a 2022 piece with warranty.

One of the major dealers in Tokyo there has a 2020 for just about 31K USD in-stock:
https://www.kame-kichi.com/items/66937

This newer one is about 32K USD - I examined it in person back in September and it's still in stock. I think it was about 34K USD back then.

https://www.renzu.jp/view/item/00000...ry_page_id=ct8

Good luck with the hunt - I wanted to get one with my name on the papers but no luck at all in this country.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 02:19 AM   #39
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
As someone who has been hunting for a 5212A as of late, they seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper by the day. Japan has some of the best prices in the world for secondhand pieces and seem to forecast where prices will go elsewhere. When I was there in September 2023, the cheapest 5212 I could find was 33K for a 2022 piece with warranty.

One of the major dealers in Tokyo there has a 2020 for just about 31K USD in-stock:

This newer one is about 32K USD - I examined it in person back in September and it's still in stock. I think it was about 34K USD back then.

Good luck with the hunt - I wanted to get one with my name on the papers but no luck at all in this country.
Thanks for the info, I’ve noticed the same with pricing as well, but if I were to buy from Japan, then there are import fees and taxes so, it would probably end up as msrp. The one I’m getting is 2024 BNIB from the US at msrp, so I’m happy with that. I would love to have my name on it but no chance at an AD.
Old 23 February 2024, 03:01 AM   #40
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It’s interesting to see second hand prices go down so much when this is still not an easy watch to get from an AD in a reasonable amount of time!

Old 23 February 2024, 05:46 AM   #41
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are you sure this is genuine site ?

why the aquanauts are around 15k USD or Im imagining
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 08:51 AM   #42
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
It’s interesting to see second hand prices go down so much when this is still not an easy watch to get from an AD in a reasonable amount of time!

I wonder this as well. No one would give me the time of day for this watch.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:39 AM   #43
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post

Absolutely legit, reputable even

The website is crap though, so I won't be surprised if it's an error or something, but the sellers are absolutely legit.
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:42 AM   #44
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I guess it's because patek want steel to become dominant? Iirc Thierry Strern said sth along this line, and is kinda consistent with the reason my AD rejected 5212 in my case
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:44 AM   #45
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post

Additionally, these don’t appear to be widely available at the usual trusted sellers you see mentioned all the time on TRF- of these, in the past few weeks have only seen one listed on Watchbox and EWC, and both for around $41k. Each to his/her own but if I am spending that much money, I’ll spend a few extra thousand to buy from (and trade with) a seller who I know or who is vetted by people I know or follow here on TRF. Again, I think OP is making the right move given what he wants and his risk tolerances and appreciation of time/effort.

Old 23 February 2024, 12:32 PM   #46
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I’ve noticed the same with pricing as well, but if I were to buy from Japan, then there are import fees and taxes so, it would probably end up as msrp. The one I’m getting is 2024 BNIB from the US at msrp, so I’m happy with that. I would love to have my name on it but no chance at an AD.
Congrats! It's a fantastic piece! I've had my eye on it since 2019 when I tried it at the Geneva Salon after hating it in press release photos. I keep coming back to it but haven't had the time of day from ADs in a few countries. Which is even stranger now to me given how it's trading below MSRP.
Old 23 February 2024, 12:34 PM   #47
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post

Absolutely legit secondhand shops with physical storefronts. Not seeing a 15K Aquanaut anywhere there - maybe the one you see is an old ladies quartz one?
Old 3 March 2024, 11:02 AM   #48
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelateria View Post
Still haven't seen anyone getting this as a first piece
Also my AD explicitly said there's no chance I am getting this piece next, as they won't allocate two steels in a role, and the 5212 is also a sporty watch (yes bullshit I know, I'd say the two steel in a row is the main reason)
Probably won't be hard to get if you buy sth else first, but I don't think this makes sense when secondary market is largely at IPO price now

Interesting. I have heard they are moving to more PM and less stainless steel so you are probably correct. If it’s close to retail on grey market then that seems like a no brainer if you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Halothane is online now   Reply With Quote