The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 October 2019, 12:24 AM   #1
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Fixing the swirls Cape Cod left

First off, try to smother any inclination you may have to take out small scratches. Period
But if you must then do it right
Cape cod is often seen as a miracle cure for hairline scratches and I it is to an extent.
However, if you’re fixing a quasi brand new watch, where apart from the scratch, the mirror finish is still present, cape cod will screw that up. You’ll get a bunch of micro swirls seen at certain angles.
I’m experienced enough to not polish or mess with my watches, but sometimes the demons get me. I used cape cod and made it worse.
Here is how I fixed it.
You will need diamond paste. I tested it on my old Tissot PRS and Seiko. You want to start with the lowest effective grade. No need to start with 20 grit sandpaper for a micro swirl right?
Stick to 1 micron paste or less. I used 0.5 microns actually. And a q tip. It will take a couple of passes. Be firm but not too much pressure. Rotate the q tip so you don’t pass over the surface with the metal abrased tip
The hairlines will come off slowly and the mirror shine will come back. Finish off with a 0.25 micron for good orders sake.

Clean and voila
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 12:38 AM   #2
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
if you’re fixing a quasi brand new watch, where apart from the scratch, the mirror finish is still present,

....don't do anything.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 12:47 AM   #3
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
....don't do anything.
That’s the correct answer
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Old 13 October 2019, 05:12 AM   #4
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
....don't do anything.
^^^ This ^^^
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 12:55 AM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ive never gotten swirls when using cape cod, but I also polish with it until the cape cod cloth is nearly completely black. It always comes out to a mirror finish. Did you make sure to clean the bracelet before using the cape cod? You may have some foreign material that the cape code cloth grabbed and is actually scratching the polished area.
Old 13 October 2019, 01:09 AM   #6
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Ive never gotten swirls when using cape cod, but I also polish with it until the cape cod cloth is nearly completely black. It always comes out to a mirror finish.

^^^ What he said.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:30 AM   #7
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
^^^ What he said.
Agree with both of you. I don't know how people use Cape Cod in a way that leaves swirl marks. Maybe if you don't know anything about polishing it can happen, but if you know at least the basics it shouldn't be hard to retain the perfect mirror finish, while removing scratches.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 01:09 AM   #8
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Ive never gotten swirls when using cape cod, but I also polish with it until the cape cod cloth is nearly completely black. It always comes out to a mirror finish. Did you make sure to clean the bracelet before using the cape cod? You may have some foreign material that the cape code cloth grabbed and is actually scratching the polished area.
Yes always clean.
It will leave marks. They are hard to see, but def visible on a new watch.
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Old 13 October 2019, 01:19 AM   #9
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes always clean.
It will leave marks. They are hard to see, but def visible on a new watch.
If they are hard to see then you are looking at them way too close. Put the loupe away.
Old 13 October 2019, 01:16 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Fixing the swirls Cape Cod left god give me strength, I sometime wonder why Rolex made one of the toughest watches on this planet.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 01:20 AM   #11
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Fixing the swirls Cape Cod left god give me strength, I sometime wonder why Rolex made one of the toughest watches on this planet.

Don’t worry I use it as a tool watch as well. I do deep sea dives with it, jungle combat, I use it as a precise chronometer, and I fix my cars with it on
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Old 13 October 2019, 02:51 AM   #12
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

Quote:
First off, try to smother any inclination you may have to take out small scratches. Period
But if you must then do it right
Cape cod is often seen as a miracle cure for hairline scratches and I it is to an extent.
However, if you’re fixing a quasi brand new watch, where apart from the scratch, the mirror finish is still present, cape cod will screw that up. You’ll get a bunch of micro swirls seen at certain angles.
I’m experienced enough to not polish or mess with my watches, but sometimes the demons get me. I used cape cod and made it worse.
Here is how I fixed it.
You will need diamond paste. I tested it on my old Tissot PRS and Seiko. You want to start with the lowest effective grade. No need to start with 20 grit sandpaper for a micro swirl right?
Stick to 1 micron paste or less. I used 0.5 microns actually. And a q tip. It will take a couple of passes. Be firm but not too much pressure. Rotate the q tip so you don’t pass over the surface with the metal abrased tip
The hairlines will come off slowly and the mirror shine will come back. Finish off with a 0.25 micron for good orders sake.

Clean and voila

Great post. I know first hand about those demons. I now resist the urge but it's not always easy. Cape Cod micro swirls are a very real thing. If one uses a Cape Cod cloth, no matter how experienced they think they are, micro swirls will be left behind.

I just hope I can stay resolute so as not to need to go out and buy diamond paste in an attempt to get rid of the micro swirls caused by me obsessing over the minor scratches that are inevitable with daily wear.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:41 AM   #13
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy63 View Post
Great post. I know first hand about those demons. I now resist the urge but it's not always easy. Cape Cod micro swirls are a very real thing. If one uses a Cape Cod cloth, no matter how experienced they think they are, micro swirls will be left behind.

I just hope I can stay resolute so as not to need to go out and buy diamond paste in an attempt to get rid of the micro swirls caused by me obsessing over the minor scratches that are inevitable with daily wear.

Randy
Would have left it alone if I didn’t already have the past. Bot it years ago to polish sapphire. Works great.
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Old 13 October 2019, 02:53 AM   #14
platinum574
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date, SD43, DJ
Cape Cod is shit- NOT for Rolex, maybe good for other things
platinum574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:17 AM   #15
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
Agree with both of you. I don't know how people use Cape Cod in a way that leaves swirl marks. Maybe if you don't know anything about polishing it can happen, but if you know at least the basics it shouldn't be hard to retain the perfect mirror finish, while removing scratches.
Exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum574 View Post
Not if you know what you’re doing.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 06:17 AM   #16
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum574 View Post
Cape Cod, has it place, and in it's place it works fine. In the hands of a compulsive obsessive, not so much.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:58 AM   #17
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Here we are again on this forum attacking and bitching about a “how-to” post. Perhaps the forum isn’t getting enough sticker or resale value threads???? The “good old days” had these kinds of how to threads every day on TRF as a tutorial.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:39 AM   #18
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Here we are again on this forum attacking and bitching about a “how-to” post. Perhaps the forum isn’t getting enough sticker or resale value threads???? The “good old days” had these kinds of how to threads every day on TRF as a tutorial.
Was just advice and sharing know how.

Thank you Mystro

Maybe we need more “why doesn’t anyone compliment me on my WG Yachmaster, is it because they think it’s steel, should I sell??? Posts
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar

Last edited by Gary Busey; 13 October 2019 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: A
Old 13 October 2019, 03:44 AM   #19
5nit
Banned

Watch: DJ41
So tired of people bitching at others for wanting to keep a clean watch. Do you sing a Ferrari and just leave it? Not for enthusiasts. My Rolex is my Ferrari and others feel the same. You can get a swirl free mirror polish with cape cod... even under a loupe it will look brand new. It takes time and a steady hand. The same hand I’ve used for other things like repairing car paint, etc.

Here is my cape cod thread and if you need help PM me.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=683573
5nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 11:42 AM   #20
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5nit View Post
So tired of people bitching at others for wanting to keep a clean watch. Do you sing a Ferrari and just leave it? Not for enthusiasts. My Rolex is my Ferrari and others feel the same. You can get a swirl free mirror polish with cape cod... even under a loupe it will look brand new. It takes time and a steady hand. The same hand I’ve used for other things like repairing car paint, etc.

Here is my cape cod thread and if you need help PM me.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=683573
Keeping a clean watch is perfectly fine. Dawn dish soap, warm water and a soft brush or wash cloth. Save the damn polishing for the CW21 watchmaker who has the "PROPER" equipment to restore a factory mirror finish. Instead of chasing every fine scratch or swirl with a chemically treated cloth.....that will not give you a factory finish. Learn to deal with scratches and swirlies or keep it in it's box.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 11:46 AM   #21
5nit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Keeping a clean watch is perfectly fine. Dawn dish soap, warm water and a soft brush or wash cloth. Save the damn polishing for the CW21 watchmaker who has the "PROPER" equipment to restore a factory mirror finish. Instead of chasing every fine scratch or swirl with a chemically treated cloth.....that will not give you a factory finish. Learn to deal with scratches and swirlies or keep in in it's box.
Chasing every scratch is one thing, doing a little work here and there to keep it looking great, just fine. Do you leave your scratched car for the next time it goes into service? You might, many would have it corrected and touched up. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I personally refinished a bad scratch I had on my previous DJ that drove me nuts. I removed it and brought it back to new. So close in fact my AD could not tell one bit under the lights and all the brand new watches.

Again, to each their own.
Old 13 October 2019, 05:04 AM   #22
Tlon
"TRF" Member

I would use polishing paper of diminishing grit, starting with 15 or 9 microns and going down to .3 microns. You can get a lot more control over the initial scuffing and polishing with these compared to the cape cod cloth, which I think I read somewhere has a higher grit and will not be as smooth as 1 or even .3 micron polishing paper.

You can get the kits that go from 30 to 1 micron here:

http://www.watchbandrenew.com/

and you can get .3 micron on Amazon. In fact, you can get all the grits in larger sheets on amazon, if you want to put together your own kit, but I do find the package and directions that http://www.watchbandrenew.com/ puts together to be useful.

A couple of suggestions:
  • Follow the directions at http://www.watchbandrenew.com/. They will tell you that you start with a higher grade to scuff the finish and then use diminishing grits to smooth out the polish. Since you are just trying to get rid of CC swirls -- I've been there and know exactly what you're talking about...cc cloth results look good to the naked eye but definitely can show swirls on closer inspection -- you may not need to scuff up the finish at all. The microfibers take a good bit of elbow grease to get a mirror polish, but it's very doable and it looks great even under a loupe (I know, I know, never look at your watch under a loupe...).
  • Tape off what you don't want polished. Very important. If you have a SD, I'd also tape off the helium valve.
  • Buy a cheap 316L case or band on eBay to practice on. Since removing a scratch often means making the watch worse before making it better, it helps to practice and to convince yourself that you can make it better.

Good luck!
Tlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:16 AM   #23
Brew
"TRF" Member

Now I know how to fix another one of the problems I'm prone to foist upon myself. Thanks, but this one of those, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda things for me.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:33 AM   #24
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I have never used Cape Cod on a rolex but Omega, Oris, Doxa and various others and have had great results.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:36 AM   #25
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
I have never polished any of my watches. I just take good care of them and I don't obsess. You really only see the scratches when you take the time to look closely... so I don't.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 06:38 AM   #26
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
The only time Cape Cod cloth can leave micro swirly scratches is if it's a little bit dried out.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 11:10 AM   #27
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
The only time Cape Cod cloth can leave micro swirly scratches is if it's a little bit dried out.
Interesting....
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Old 13 October 2019, 11:14 AM   #28
5nit
Banned

Quote:
Interesting....
I agree with this. Use a lot of lube. Even grape seed oil. Need to keep the abrasion down. And you can get a mirror finish. I’ve got pics of mine in this thread.
Old 13 October 2019, 08:08 PM   #29
Buzzlite
"TRF" Member

So put grape seed oil on the lugs or pcl first ? Then cape cod ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5nit View Post
I agree with this. Use a lot of lube. Even grape seed oil. Need to keep the abrasion down. And you can get a mirror finish. I’ve got pics of mine in this thread.
Buzzlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 12:16 AM   #30
5nit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzlite View Post
So put grape seed oil on the lugs or pcl first ? Then cape cod ?
No no, just use a little bit when your cloth seems to dry out. For better results constantly use new pieces of cap cod once black. When you are finishing up and wanting to get the swirls out use a new piece of cape cod and to softly.