The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2020, 01:24 AM   #1
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Ex-Factory Timing Standard

Hey all,

So I purchased a 2015 model 216570 recently pre-owned and I noticed that with the paperwork, the original owner had sent the watch in to the RSC in around 2018. The notation on the receipt is stated as follows:

"A small timing adjustment has been made to your watch with our compliments.

Your watch is set to the ex-factory standard of two minutes fast per month. New gaskets have been installed and your watch has been fully watertested. Warranty returned."

I'm curious as to why they Rolex would adhere to COSC (ie:-4/+6 day or 2 minutes fast per month) vs. setting the watch to the Superlative standard of -2/+2.

Watch is currently running around +3.5/+4 per day.

Appreciate any feedback if anyone has experience or knows why that would be,

Tan
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 02:22 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
They are not using COSC, which is a testing organization with it's own criteria, they are using the previous (ex-factory) Rolex standard of -1/+5 seconds per day out the door, (~+2 minutes per month.)

Apparently your watch is older than the latest "Green Seal" watches.
Old 29 March 2020, 02:33 AM   #3
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
They are not using COSC, which is a testing organization with it's own criteria, they are using the previous (ex-factory) Rolex standard of -1/+5 seconds per day out the door, (~+2 minutes per month.)

Apparently your watch is older than the latest "Green Seal" watches.
Yeah, I figured the age being a 2015 would account for that fact, just unsure why given the same movement as newer 216570s and brought in to RSC in 2018, that they would not update the timing standard to the latest Superlative standard. Unless the newer post 2016 models have something different in their movements, which I am not aware of? Why not bring the older watch with the same movement as the newer watch to the same timing standard in the modern era.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 10:01 AM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
Yeah, I figured the age being a 2015 would account for that fact, just unsure why given the same movement as newer 216570s and brought in to RSC in 2018, that they would not update the timing standard to the latest Superlative standard. Unless the newer post 2016 models have something different in their movements, which I am not aware of? Why not bring the older watch with the same movement as the newer watch to the same timing standard in the modern era.
Too much work and then there's the risk you would be inclined to hold them to the new standard in perpetuity.
Much better for you and Rolex if you simply sold the watch and bought a brand new one.

As you note, it's the same movement and it is indeed capable of operating within the parameters of the "Superlative" standard. Alternately, you may consider taking the watch to the very best independent watchmaker you can find and pay them to tweak it a little to better satisfy your requirements
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 11:43 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
I would agree with Dirt.

It takes some time to ensure +/-2 sec, it's not just set it and forget it....

I also would agree that if they did this routinely, they would be overrun with folks demanding the newest specs.

If you really, really want it as close as possible, take it to a good watchmaker who will keep it for a few days and regulate it to his best.... you would likely be very happy with this.