The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 November 2008, 11:18 AM   #1
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Deep Sea Mini Review

I was going to wait a couple of weeks to adjust to the Deep Sea before doing a review because the first time I saw the watch in person was when I acquired it this past Friday. I was almost assuming I wouldn't like it but as soon as I saw it, the deal was done. Basically, it hasn't been off my wrist since Friday afternoon. I'm sure I'll find something to complain about at some point but at the moment I'm unbelievably impressed with the Deep Sea. Here's my short take on the watch:

Fit and Finish: You've got to see it to believe it, because pictures really don't do it justice. Everything about it has an incredibly solid feel. The bezel turns with a smooth positive action, the crystal has a gem like reflection, and everything just feels like it works together perfectly. Someone posted a complaint about the back not fitting well into the case and claimed there were areas of separation, but that isn't a problem with the one I have. I'd give it a ten.

Size: It's big but it honestly doesn't seem out of proportion on my 7" wrist. You won't likely be wearing this with a suit however; I'm guessing it won't come close to fitting under your french cuffs. Definitely a real tool watch more at home with jeans or swim/diving wear. Viewed from above, the size is actually not as apparent as you might think but when you look at it from the side it sits well up on the wrist. The watch is 16 MM thick and looks it. Some might find that offputting, but I'm already used to it.

Bracelet: This isn't a weak point anymore! I do think a 22 MM bracelet would have been "better" but I'm being picky. The micro adjustment makes it a snap to minutely adjust the watch right on your wrist for expansion/contraction of the wrist on hot or cold days. I think the watch is a tad top heavy so a good comfortable bracelet fit is necessary in my opinion though perhaps not so much for someone with larger wrists than mine.

Timekeeping: Mine's running almost spot on; I seem to be losing about a second a day. All the time setting features work perfectly and the lume is more than adequate. The bezel has 120 detents and aligns perfectly. The date is a little small but that's why it's a Sea Dweller! A cyclops would be just a little out of place here.

Ceramic Bezel: The numbers and detents are recessed a tiny bit; not as much as the GMT however. They look flush but you can feel them if you run your fingernail over them. It just looks fantastic in person. The bezel action is the smoothest i've ever used for sure.

Other details: I was worried that the "Escape Valve/Ring Lock lettering would be ugly and distracting. I personally think it's not necessary, but it is not at all obvious when wearing the watch and the rolex/rolex/rolex is invisible to me without a loupe.

Comparison to other Rolex dive watches: Two of the following three pictures show the Deep Sea with my no-date Sub and LV for comparison. It will give you at least some idea of the size differences.

Overall rating: a true 10!!!

eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote