The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 May 2019, 01:11 AM   #1
russ86
"TRF" Member

Is it possible to buy 5164R-001 from AD?

I wanted to get 5164R-001 for a very long time by now. I went to AD last weekend here in New York and was ready to pull the trigger on a purchase if they had it in stock or pay 50% or even 100% deposit if could get it within 6 to 8 months.
Spoke to a very nice gentleman who told me straight up that pieces like that they only sell to their long time loyal customers and there is no way they coudl sell me that piece. I called few other AD's in the areas including NJ but no luck. I looked on Chrono24 but I really dont feel like paying 10K+ premium on 50K+ watch.
So my question is is it really possible to get that watch in the AD or forget about it, eventually close my eyes to pay that premium and move on with my life.
Thanks.
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:15 AM   #2
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Depends if this is a hobby or you just want 1 watch. If you just want one watch... I’d just buy it and move on. Also how much is your time worth.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:18 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Probably NYC is a 6 month plus wait, but elsewhere I think you will get it sooner.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:24 AM   #4
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
So I was in your shoes 2 1/2 years ago. I wanted a 5711/1R and it was selling for slightly above msrp at the time. I figured I would rather wait for new. I had no previous relationship with my local store. Here I am 2 1/2 years later, still waiting for them to get it for me and the price is now 50k over msrp on secondary market. I could have enjoyed that watch for 2 1/2 years and made money while doing it. No one knows the future but if your case ends up like mine you'll regret it like i do.
Old 26 May 2019, 03:22 AM   #5
russ86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
So I was in your shoes 2 1/2 years ago. I wanted a 5711/1R and it was selling for slightly above msrp at the time. I figured I would rather wait for new. I had no previous relationship with my local store. Here I am 2 1/2 years later, still waiting for them to get it for me and the price is now 50k over msrp on secondary market. I could have enjoyed that watch for 2 1/2 years and made money while doing it. No one knows the future but if your case ends up like mine you'll regret it like i do.
I remember last year before New Year I wanted to buy myself a nice girl, it was between RG Daytona and 5164R-001. Aquanaut I was offered brand new for 53k if I remember it correctly, the money was not an issue and I decided to go with Daytona because I wanted to add it for longest time ever.
Now half a year later 5164R-001 is being offered to me at 61k+, within half a year price jumped nicely and I wish I would choose Patek over Rolex last year.
Old 26 May 2019, 06:03 AM   #6
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan1987 View Post
I remember last year before New Year I wanted to buy myself a nice girl, it was between RG Daytona and 5164R-001. Aquanaut I was offered brand new for 53k if I remember it correctly, the money was not an issue and I decided to go with Daytona because I wanted to add it for longest time ever.
Now half a year later 5164R-001 is being offered to me at 61k+, within half a year price jumped nicely and I wish I would choose Patek over Rolex last year.
Should have went with buying the nice girl
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 06:37 AM   #7
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
Should have went with buying the nice girl
autocorrect?:::)))
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 06:43 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
This is true, prices have really shot up these past few months so maybe you should just buy one now, or set a target ceiling price of say 70K, and if no AD comes thru in time you go grey at that price, damn it's really like market trading now.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 07:25 AM   #9
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
autocorrect?:::)))
Or it’s exactly what he meant. ;)
Old 26 May 2019, 07:51 AM   #10
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Or it’s exactly what he meant. ;)
actually i wanted to refer to the previous poster.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 02:29 PM   #11
russ86
"TRF" Member

Lol Sorry guys autocorrect
Old 28 May 2019, 05:19 PM   #12
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
5164R-001 won't just be on display anywhere in the world. I was lucky with it and it was offered to me out of the blue; jumped on it no, hesitation and I've been happy ever since! Will you have to wait for it if you go through an AD? Sure...Whats the timeline? Anywhere between 1-5 years is my guess.

Will this watch keep rising? Probably, if we follow the trend for the other Patek sports watches.

I've been very happy with it too, so it is a piece that has gone into rotation with my other PM models.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 08:00 PM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
actually i wanted to refer to the previous poster.
I know u did...;)
Old 28 May 2019, 11:42 PM   #14
dannyp
Banned

Do market prices correspond to wait times? The 5711s are approximately 2x MSRP, and unobtainable from a dealer (for "walk-ins") while the 6065 has about a 40% premium on secondary market and I've seen it written here that the "average" buyer should still be able to waitlist for one and have it in a year or so. Here, we've got about a 25% markup, so I would assume it's fairly obtainable with a little diligence and patience from an AD?

Maybe not in NYC area but I doubt that watch is equally popular in all markets (and isn't yet fetching enough of a premium that everyone is scouring everywhere for it). If I had to guess, I would guess that in some smaller markets (Midwest, other than Chicago; South, other than southern FL/ATL) perhaps one can more easily waitlist for it?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote