The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 November 2018, 01:13 AM   #1
Gigaton Punch
"TRF" Member

3120 movement - date wheel gets stuck

I have a 15400 and sometimes when setting the date in quickset, it gets stuck such that the date doesn't change even though I'm turning the crown on quick set level.

Not sure at what time I tried this, but could this be because I did it between 10 PM and 2 AM? Anyone else have similar issue? Does this damage it in any way?
Gigaton Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:57 AM   #2
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigaton Punch View Post
I have a 15400 and sometimes when setting the date in quickset, it gets stuck such that the date doesn't change even though I'm turning the crown on quick set level.

Not sure at what time I tried this, but could this be because I did it between 10 PM and 2 AM? Anyone else have similar issue? Does this damage it in any way?
That's precisely when you should not be changing the date with the quickset. And yes, it could damage it. I always quickset one day prior while in early PM and then cycle all the way around so that it naturally flips to the current date, then set time. Be sure to set correct AM/PM when you set
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:12 AM   #3
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
https://www.watchtime.com/featured/concept-caliber/

"The date mechanism is unusual, too. It’s equipped with a safety system that prevents the date disk from blocking if the owner tries to manually reset the date at midnight. Thanks to this feature, the display can be manually adjusted at any time without jeopardizing its delicate underlying mechanisms."

I still always set the date on all my watches at 6 o'clock.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:13 AM   #4
lhawli
"TRF" Member

I always set the time to 6 o’clock before changing the date. I then set use the quickest to bring the date to yesterday’s date. Finally I use the minute and hours hand to bring the date to today’s date and current time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:02 AM   #5
AlexWazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
For the 15450, I wouldn't actually set it to 6, would either do 4 or 5. The manual states that the date mechanism is in use between 6pm and 2am.

I would always do what v25v does, set it to the day prior and then use the time set to get to the next day and appropriate time.
AlexWazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
https://www.watchtime.com/featured/concept-caliber/

"The date mechanism is unusual, too. It’s equipped with a safety system that prevents the date disk from blocking if the owner tries to manually reset the date at midnight. Thanks to this feature, the display can be manually adjusted at any time without jeopardizing its delicate underlying mechanisms."

I still always set the date on all my watches at 6 o'clock.

Have read this before too.

It’s also good practice to set for the day before, then wind forwards to the correct date to ensure AM/PM is correct.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 11:47 PM   #7
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Have read this before too.

It’s also good practice to set for the day before, then wind forwards to the correct date to ensure AM/PM is correct.
I do the same thing of setting the date the day before and then advancing to current date and time. But is it important on a 15450 (and GMT Master II) to be mindful of the time of the watch when doing that?
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 06:57 AM   #8
Lexxus
"TRF" Member

Hi , guys , can You help me ? I own a 15703 with 3120 call , my AP still has an old date wheel , which parts are replaced ,to avoid date jamming?
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigaton Punch View Post

It's very easy to damage the calendar driving wheel if you engage the quickset at the wrong time and it's an expensive part to replace.

This is from the 3120 instruction manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instruction Manual
To avoid making any mistakes, it is recommended to perform date changes when the mechanism is not in operation, i.e. between 1.00 am in the morning and 6.00 pm at the latest.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote