The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 March 2021, 09:23 AM   #1
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Avenger chronograph 43mm, thoughts?

I was considering purchasing a Avenger 43 chronograph as my chronograph watch for my collection. I like many from Breitling but require water resistance with locking pushers and crown. So that leaves a lot of nice chronographs out of consideration unfortunately. I just don't trust a watch to be water tight unless every thing is locked down tight. So I'm looking for insight from members on the Avenger 43. Likes, dislikes etc . I would appreciate any information or suggestions.
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 12:17 PM   #2
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I bought the Avenger Chrono 43 over a year ago and I love it. I’d been looking for a chronograph that was waterproof, tough, reliable, serviceable and of course cool looking. I went through a lot of chronos in my search, but when the new Avengers were announced it looked perfect for me and I jumped on it.

It did not disappoint, and met all of my criteria. I have a 6.75” wrist, and while the Avenger’s specs look big on paper, on the wrist it is extremely comfortable. With a flat case back and downward curving lugs, it hugs the wrist nicely.

The design is really badass, I have to admit I’d been wanting a Chrono Avenger ever since I saw one in the movie Blood Diamond. I personally dig the look, but it might be a little extreme for some. I’ve gone through numerous chronos - from Daytonas to Speedmasters, to JLCs - but the Avenger ended being exactly was looking for. I didn’t want something delicate and shiny.

Mine has been keeping great time, as you would expect from a chronometer rated movement.

I switch between the bracelet and a strap. The bracelet is really well made and feels very robust. It has enough fine-adjustment points in the clasp to get a perfect fit, you just need to use a spring bar tool to adjust it.

However, you said that you require screw-down pushers, and the Avenger does not have them.

I’ve been wearing mine more than any other watch in my collection ever since I got it. My Rolexes and Omegas tend to sit on the bench a lot lately while the Avenger gets called up for action.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 10:39 PM   #3
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I bought the Avenger Chrono 43 over a year ago and I love it. I’d been looking for a chronograph that was waterproof, tough, reliable, serviceable and of course cool looking. I went through a lot of chronos in my search, but when the new Avengers were announced it looked perfect for me and I jumped on it.

It did not disappoint, and met all of my criteria. I have a 6.75” wrist, and while the Avenger’s specs look big on paper, on the wrist it is extremely comfortable. With a flat case back and downward curving lugs, it hugs the wrist nicely.

The design is really badass, I have to admit I’d been wanting a Chrono Avenger ever since I saw one in the movie Blood Diamond. I personally dig the look, but it might be a little extreme for some. I’ve gone through numerous chronos - from Daytonas to Speedmasters, to JLCs - but the Avenger ended being exactly was looking for. I didn’t want something delicate and shiny.

Mine has been keeping great time, as you would expect from a chronometer rated movement.

I switch between the bracelet and a strap. The bracelet is really well made and feels very robust. It has enough fine-adjustment points in the clasp to get a perfect fit, you just need to use a spring bar tool to adjust it.

However, you said that you require screw-down pushers, and the Avenger does not have them.

I’ve been wearing mine more than any other watch in my collection ever since I got it. My Rolexes and Omegas tend to sit on the bench a lot lately while the Avenger gets called up for action.

Yes!, That's the one I'm looking for. The water resistance rating is high on that one. Not sure how they do that with non-locking pushers unless its magnetic like the 2000m series. But I think that's the one for me. Thank you for you input. Good information. And a nice looking watch, Just as you described.
Old 17 March 2021, 01:54 PM   #4
Camdamonium
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot DepecheMode
Don't forget about the last gen Chronomat 44. Has screw down crown and similar size to new Avenger Chronos.
Camdamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 07:09 PM   #5
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdamonium View Post
Don't forget about the last gen Chronomat 44. Has screw down crown and similar size to new Avenger Chronos.
Yes! Those are great watches, too. And they feature the B01 movement if you prefer the in-house route. And the sun-ray dials look great. Another great option.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 09:41 PM   #6
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

I called my AD. He has a Chronomat 42 B01 in stock. I have scheduled a appointment to view it this Saturday..... Can't wait!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
Old 18 March 2021, 07:17 AM   #7
Camdamonium
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot DepecheMode
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I called my AD. He has a Chronomat 42 B01 in stock. I have scheduled a appointment to view it this Saturday..... Can't wait!
But be aware, no screw-down crowns on the new 42s... in case that was a necessity. Puts you in same spot in comparison to the Avengers. Assuming we are all talking BNIB 2021 models. Older Chronomat 44s (2009-2020) are the ones with screw-down crowns.
Camdamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 11:39 AM   #8
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Will do and thanks for the heads up! I will inquire while I'm at my AD Saturday.
Old 19 March 2021, 06:48 AM   #9
toptiertimepieces
Banned

personally not a fan, but not a bad watch
toptiertimepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 04:15 AM   #10
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I had one quite a while ago and I did enjoy it. Its tall on my 6.5" wrist. But its comfortable nonetheless, at least on leather strap. I did enjoy the styling of the watch. Otherwise, it works fine as a automatic chronograph.

If you want everything to screwdown, then this is not it, right? Maybe Omega seamaster / planet ocean chrono? Do those has screwdown pushers? I think Tudor Black Bay Chrono has screwdown pushers, but its not quite a dive watch.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 05:08 AM   #11
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
The Omega Seamaster Professional (300M Chronograph) and Planet Ocean Chronograph have shouldered pushers. Albeit similar to screw down Chrono pushers in appearance, they can be used under water to the depth rating and don't have to be unscrewed, at all.

I particularly like this (and it's why I'm likely adding a 3rd) because it's always ready for use and one less thing for me to worry about if a pusher is pressed while submerged or if the watch is wet.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2021, 10:42 AM   #12
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Okay, I visited my AD today and tried on the 42 chronomat chronograph, Aviator 8 chronograph and a SO 44 chronograph .
Out of all of them I liked the SO 44 the best by far. Something about the dial I just like. However, the pusher locks are difficult to unscrew. Once they break loose they move real easy. Is that normal?
Old 27 August 2021, 05:37 AM   #13
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
Icon14 Breitling Avenger

I love the avenger because it has always been a tough, reliable and most importantly: a cool looking watch. I have one personally in my collection and absolutely love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F238F40D-32A0-475D-A6E9-70B345656150.jpeg (79.7 KB, 71 views)
Cryptochonos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 04:58 PM   #14
PekWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

I have avenger bandit titanium. Very accurate and robust watch. 7750 based caliber is awesome. Rubber strap with quick adjust is the best.
PekWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote