The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 September 2021, 10:20 AM   #1
franzumb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Help with 1675 Nipple Dial and hands

Hi, hope everyone is well.

I’m looking for opinions regarding the authenticity of this dial. The back is stamped SINGER repeatedly in a linear manner. My biggest concerns are the lume color in both the plots and the hands.

Thanks for any help.IMG_4022.jpg
IMG_4020.jpg
IMG_4019.jpg
franzumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 10:25 AM   #2
franzumb
"TRF" Member

Additional image. The lume does not shine in the dark. Though it hasn’t been tested with UV.IMG_4025.jpg
Old 24 September 2021, 10:47 AM   #3
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Not an expert but the dial does look like it's for a late model 1675/3 with applied crown. There is another thread on the forum specifically asking whether the sunburst dial is a service option or original for the 1675/3 s the early versions are matt. I do know that Singer was one of the dial manufacturer's Rolex used. The 24 hour hand looks strange. The stem looks too fat with the triangle outline matching the width of the stem but like I said, I am not an expert. Better pics of the hands would be warranted as it is hard to see anything. Hopefully Springer will comment on this for you. Good luck!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 10:52 AM   #4
franzumb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Not an expert but the dial does look like it's for a late model 1675/3 with applied crown. There is another thread on the forum specifically asking whether the sunburst dial is a service option or original for the 1675/3 s the early versions are matt. I do know that Singer was one of the dial manufacturer's Rolex used. The 24 hour hand looks strange. The stem looks too fat with the triangle outline matching the width of the stem but like I said, I am not an expert. Better pics of the hands would be warranted as it is hard to see anything. Hopefully Springer will comment on this for you. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your answer. The sunburst was also a big question mark for me. I’ll get more photos of the hands.
Old 24 September 2021, 12:18 PM   #5
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
A few other posts on the forum that discuss this topic.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=495370
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=692513
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=801057
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 02:54 PM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
It appears to be an original and later 1675 dial - based on what I see as paint loss discoloration or corrosion around some of the markers. I've never seen a fake dial mimic the corrosion or discoloration around markers like found on this watch.

I can't help with the hands based on the photos. Grab a UV light and see what happens with the hands when you light 'em up.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 06:25 PM   #7
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I can't help with the hands based on the photos. Grab a UV light and see what happens with the hands when you light 'em up.

Just curious, what happens when you light uv on the (tritium) hands?

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 09:16 PM   #8
franzumb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It appears to be an original and later 1675 dial - based on what I see as paint loss discoloration or corrosion around some of the markers. I've never seen a fake dial mimic the corrosion or discoloration around markers like found on this watch.

The hands turn green after exposure to regular light. But the dial doesn’t.
Old 25 September 2021, 12:28 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzumb View Post
The hands turn green after exposure to regular light. But the dial doesn’t.
Under UV light, the hands normally look white and do not glow once the light is off. Prior to 1968 or most GMTs (and yes, probably a few 1968 era models) the hands or dial markers glow green due to different mix of tritium and once the UV light is turned off, will normally glow for a very short period of time.

Heavily patined markers or hands, when viewed under a UV light, do not glow as white as hands/dials without much patina but these patined hands do have a distinct visible glow.

Do some research here on the forum and elsewhere regarding tritium and the various types and characteristics of tritium.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 12:33 AM   #10
franzumb
"TRF" Member

Help with 1675 Nipple Dial and hands

Quote:
Under UV light, the hands normally look white and do not glow once the light is off. Prior to 1968 or most GMTs (and yes, probably a few 1968 era models) the hands or dial markers glow green due to different mix of tritium and once the UV light is turned off, will normally glow for a very short period of time.

Heavily patined markers or hands, when viewed under a UV light, do not glow as white as hands/dials without much patina but these patined hands do have a distinct visible glow.

Do some research here on the forum and elsewhere regarding tritium and the various types and characteristics of tritium.

Thank you for the detailed response. The dial only glows when exposed to UV light. The hands glow under regular lights. Both turn into a greenish tone. Will do more research on this. Was curious on why the lumes don’t look with much patina as others. Does this mean that the dial might be genuine while the hands are not? Will attach more images of the hands me

Thanks,
Fran