The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 September 2021, 03:24 AM   #1
CharlieR
"TRF" Member

Sea-Dweller 1665 Great White purchase

Hoping for some advice on a prospective 1665 Great White purchase…. I’m familiar with the four (or 5 if the very rare Mark 0 is included) dial types and can differentiate between them. My preference would be for a Mk 1 and then a Mk 3 (Mk 2 Rail Dials being very few and far between here in the sunny U.K.). The Mk 1s seem to be considerably rarer though they do appear quite often (I missed out on one 18 months ago at what now seems a very good price indeed).

Should I expect to pay more for a Mk 1 than a 3 or 4? Are Mk 1s considered more desirable or is it just personal preference?

Also, what sort of price premium should I expect for original papers? A few hundred pounds - or a couple of thousand?

I’m buying the watch to wear as well as to add to my collection but, given they seem now to be over £20k I am also considering long term value.

All advice much appreciated!
CharlieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 04:39 AM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

In all honesty I’d look for the best condition dial and case and total package. Better a more common mk4 in great condition than a rarer Mk1 in poor condition.
Old 21 September 2021, 05:10 AM   #3
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
As above. I would look at it in this priority for condition (Dial/case/paperwork) and not what Mk it has. It's hard as it is to find an unmolested period correct piece, so you cant really add the choice of dial to your option. You might end up waiting forever if you want to tick all the boxes, including buying from the right person :).
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 12:22 AM   #4
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieR View Post
Hoping for some advice on a prospective 1665 Great White purchase…. I’m familiar with the four (or 5 if the very rare Mark 0 is included) dial types and can differentiate between them. My preference would be for a Mk 1 and then a Mk 3 (Mk 2 Rail Dials being very few and far between here in the sunny U.K.). The Mk 1s seem to be considerably rarer though they do appear quite often (I missed out on one 18 months ago at what now seems a very good price indeed).

Should I expect to pay more for a Mk 1 than a 3 or 4? Are Mk 1s considered more desirable or is it just personal preference?

Also, what sort of price premium should I expect for original papers? A few hundred pounds - or a couple of thousand?

I’m buying the watch to wear as well as to add to my collection but, given they seem now to be over £20k I am also considering long term value.

All advice much appreciated!
It is often referred to as analysis paralysis......you are overthinking this. Proceed as suggested by the other posters - find a couple of reputable sellers, let them know what you are looking for (and forget about all that dial nonsense) and be patient......and remember that you will always end-up paying more than you planned for. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the pictures .
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 12:34 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
As above .... forget all the MK this and MK that. Those microscopic dial details aren't nearly as important as overall condition. I would never pay more for a certain dial type, all other factors being equal. (That doesn't include DRSDs, of course.)

As for your other question about boxes/papers .... Expect to pay at least 20 percent more for a vintage full set, depending on how complete it is. Some collectors, myself included, love a full set and all the bits and pieces. Sure, you can't wear them, but so nice to have.

Can you post photos of the 1665 you're considering?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:16 AM   #6
CharlieR
"TRF" Member

Thanks all - there seems to be a consensus! Very helpful! I think I was indeed over-analysing it and attaching too much importance to dial types and will concentrate more on the points recommended.

I was initially interested in a 1665 around 18 months ago. Asking price was a £13k which I thought was a bit steep at the time. It was a Mk 1 dial, overall good, no box or papers. It now seems it would have been a very good buy as they all seem to be £20k plus. Have they really increased in value that much?
Old 22 September 2021, 08:27 AM   #7
CharlieR
"TRF" Member

Photo of the £13k Mk 1 I was looking at last March
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1F033A09-196F-4AFF-876A-835D0ADD40D4.jpeg (290.6 KB, 154 views)
Old 22 September 2021, 08:31 AM   #8
CharlieR
"TRF" Member

Replacement bezel and pearl, case not too sharp but good dial and hands, no box or papers. Still cheap compared to what’s on offer now. Surprised they’ve increased so much over 18 months.
Old 25 September 2021, 01:44 AM   #9
CharlieR
"TRF" Member

https://subdial.co/products/rolex-sea-dweller-1665