The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 September 2021, 02:52 AM   #1
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Furlan Marri

Has anyone bought one?

I like the style and look but somehow it feels too forced and borrowed a bit too much. They are getting good reviews though, especially for this price.

All were sold out but they are doing another run this Friday. Then they will all be discontinued and they'll do another style of watch.

Quote:
We are pleased to tell you that three of the references from our “Mechaquartz” story will be available this Friday September 24, 3 PM Swiss Time or:

Geneva Time: 3 PM (15:00)

New York Time: 9 AM (09:00)

Riyadh Time: 4 PM (16:00)

Tokyo Time: 10 PM (22:00)

Sydney Time: 11 PM (23:00)

Dubai Time: 5 PM (17:00)

Doha Time: 4 PM (16:00)

Los Angeles Time: 6 AM (06:00)

Three references available. Havana Salmon ref. 1031-A and Farro ref. 1022-B were limited to our crowdfunding campaign so not anymore in production. The three remaining references will be sold this Friday and after it is sold out, we will not produce them anymore, they will be permanently retired.

Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 12:42 PM   #2
yoast
"TRF" Member

Overhyped quartz watch which is a blatant copy. No thanks
Old 22 September 2021, 02:58 PM   #3
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

The concept isn’t new. This type of thing in a wider variety of styles can be found at Dan Henry. I own two Dan Henry pieces (one is sold out) and I’ve been very pleased with the quality and reliability. A great value.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 04:10 AM   #4
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Hyped up beyond believe by very clever social media marketing.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 05:47 AM   #5
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Hyped up beyond believe by very clever social media marketing.

Exactly this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 05:51 AM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I don't really get it. Just look like a generic quartz spin off.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2021, 12:09 AM   #7
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Very nicely designed watch, but not interested in buying a Ferrari body housing a Yugo engine and transmission.

If all i cared about were timekeeping and wanted a certain look, it would definitely have potential.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2021, 11:58 AM   #8
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I bought into the hype and actually wanted one just to see what's the fuss about. But the relaunch was a joke and a waste of time. Sold out in few seconds. Their website even automatically delete the item in the cart before payment details can be input. Obviously they only put a handful of pieces out there. It was a publicity stunt ( to show off how "in demand" their watches are ) and I am not amused by it. In fact, I told off the owner myself, who after realising the backlash, came out with a bunch of invalid excuses. After the Ming saga, looks like these micro brands never learn.

As to the watch itself, to be fair it has a very nicely finished cases but at the end of the day, it's just an overhyped quartz watches with a copy cat design. It was promoted heavily by Wei Koh of Revolution magazine when the brand first started which was why it attracted a lot of attention. They are certainly quite brilliant in their marketing and creating hype.

If one can get online ( and can't afford the real thing ), it's a good value and can buy one for casual wear but it's nothing more. I am not interested anymore as their sales tactics turn me off.
Old 27 September 2021, 12:01 AM   #9
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

I got two luckily
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 12:05 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I like the style and look but somehow it feels too forced and borrowed
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Old 27 September 2021, 12:32 AM   #11
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
overhyped quartz watch which is a blatant copy. No thanks
+1
Old 27 September 2021, 12:58 AM   #12
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

It may have been hyped and it may be a derivative design (like many many watches) but it’s a looker. It also compares well with the Toki on finish, which cost me 6x. For a $300 dress type quartz watch I doubt you can find nicer!

thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:51 PM   #13
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I bought into the hype and actually wanted one just to see what's the fuss about. But the relaunch was a joke and a waste of time. Sold out in few seconds. Their website even automatically delete the item in the cart before payment details can be input. Obviously they only put a handful of pieces out there. It was a publicity stunt ( to show off how "in demand" their watches are ) and I am not amused by it. In fact, I told off the owner myself, who after realising the backlash, came out with a bunch of invalid excuses. After the Ming saga, looks like these micro brands never learn.

As to the watch itself, to be fair it has a very nicely finished cases but at the end of the day, it's just an overhyped quartz watches with a copy cat design. It was promoted heavily by Wei Koh of Revolution magazine when the brand first started which was why it attracted a lot of attention. They are certainly quite brilliant in their marketing and creating hype.

If one can get online ( and can't afford the real thing ), it's a good value and can buy one for casual wear but it's nothing more. I am not interested anymore as their sales tactics turn me off.

Hey Ben, it’s funny as I didn’t see the hype on this one. I had seen the original Kickstarter campaign and purchased from there; I don’t recall there being any issues in terms of availability as the campaign was open for a long time.

It’s possible that after the successful campaign there was a lot of additional press and hence some “hype” developed.

My take was (is) these watches have an appealing aesthetic, and at the Kickstarter prices represented an OK proposal.

At the moment I see these almost as fashion watches. It’s a style one wants to buy into.

Full disclosure, I bought two from the Kickstarter campaign and I’m pretty happy with them. For what they are.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 01:56 PM   #14
Justindo
"TRF" Member

It's a gorgeous watch...but it's quartz. The Ferarri with a Yugo engine analogy is apropos. Still, if all you care about is looks, it's the price of a nice strap and not the price of a nice car like a Cornes de Vache would be. Of course it is a Cornes de Vache...
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 01:56 AM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Hey Ben, it’s funny as I didn’t see the hype on this one. I had seen the original Kickstarter campaign and purchased from there; I don’t recall there being any issues in terms of availability as the campaign was open for a long time.

It’s possible that after the successful campaign there was a lot of additional press and hence some “hype” developed.

My take was (is) these watches have an appealing aesthetic, and at the Kickstarter prices represented an OK proposal.

At the moment I see these almost as fashion watches. It’s a style one wants to buy into.

Full disclosure, I bought two from the Kickstarter campaign and I’m pretty happy with them. For what they are.

Yes the hype probably started after they successfully sold their lot in kickstarter and the pics start to swarm in IG.

I am not denying they are nice watches and value for money. But I don't like their misleading sales tactics. They publicly announced to everyone to standby for their 2nd launch on the website on 24th Sep only to have the watches sold out in seconds. And yes, I was foolishly mislead as well. If they do not have the inventory to do a proper re-launch, then just said its sold out and perhaps launch a new model with better availability.

To have everyone standby to try to order and having it all sold out within seconds ( including removing inventory already "added to cart" ) means they are really trying to create hype just to show to the watch collecting community how "in demand" their watches are.

Anyway, this is so off-putting for me I have swear off the brand for good.
Old 5 October 2021, 01:14 AM   #16
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes the hype probably started after they successfully sold their lot in kickstarter and the pics start to swarm in IG.

I am not denying they are nice watches and value for money. But I don't like their misleading sales tactics. They publicly announced to everyone to standby for their 2nd launch on the website on 24th Sep only to have the watches sold out in seconds. And yes, I was foolishly mislead as well. If they do not have the inventory to do a proper re-launch, then just said its sold out and perhaps launch a new model with better availability.

To have everyone standby to try to order and having it all sold out within seconds ( including removing inventory already "added to cart" ) means they are really trying to create hype just to show to the watch collecting community how "in demand" their watches are.

Anyway, this is so off-putting for me I have swear off the brand for good.

Hard to know what they and others could do differently. They have watches for sale, they let people know, they sell them.

Also there’s zero need for this kind of FOMO or whatever we could describe it as here as there will be plenty of watches to buy from them, and from Ming, Kurono and others who seem to be falling foul of consumers unhappy about not getting a watch.

What’s funny to me is that there seems to be a bigger backlash against these smaller guys than there is against Rolex, Patek, AP, Richard Mile and all the others who are equally frustrating consumers. I wonder is this because everyone has conceded that wait lists mean little and so there’s zero chance of a watch whereas with these smaller guys there seems to be some chance (greater than zero) and that alone is enough to really agitate people if they don’t succeed?

(Ben, this is more a comment or ramblings by me on the wider situation and not a comment on your personal view and takeaway from this. But your position is reflective of many others in terms of swearing off the brand going forward hence my comments).

Old 5 October 2021, 01:51 AM   #17
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hard to know what they and others could do differently. They have watches for sale, they let people know, they sell them.

Also there’s zero need for this kind of FOMO or whatever we could describe it as here as there will be plenty of watches to buy from them, and from Ming, Kurono and others who seem to be falling foul of consumers unhappy about not getting a watch.

What’s funny to me is that there seems to be a bigger backlash against these smaller guys than there is against Rolex, Patek, AP, Richard Mile and all the others who are equally frustrating consumers. I wonder is this because everyone has conceded that wait lists mean little and so there’s zero chance of a watch whereas with these smaller guys there seems to be some chance (greater than zero) and that alone is enough to really agitate people if they don’t succeed?

(Ben, this is more a comment or ramblings by me on the wider situation and not a comment on your personal view and takeaway from this. But your position is reflective of many others in terms of swearing off the brand going forward hence my comments).

Of course, Rolex/AP/PP and RM are all brands that are very high in demand and getting the pieces from them frequently requires a good relationship and/or a buying record, and to deal with a potential frustrating process of lobbying and waitlisting along with the occasionally playing of games and the lack of transparency. I myself has been through all these as well in building up my collection so I know what you mean. However, it is public knowledge to anyone that has been paying attention in forums and want to acquire this pieces from these brands.

That's not the case with FM. They have gone out of the way to announced a second launch, emailing subscribers, announcing on social media and their website when they clearly know they have very few pieces for sale. So when comes to actually ordering, it's gone literally in seconds. I don't know how to see this in any other way except to say they were just playing customers for fools.

Hence my position I will not support a watch company that does this and will write them off for good. I don't care how good their watches can be now or in future. It also is not a matter of whether it is a micro-brand or not but the behaviour. Nope, I do not think these micro brands ( ie small guys in your words ) have a bigger blacklash. It's the behaviour. Quite sure you are aware what happened to Ming recently. Hope I have explained myself. Won't want to dwell any further into this. Have a good day.
Old 5 October 2021, 08:42 AM   #18
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Of course, Rolex/AP/PP and RM are all brands that are very high in demand and get. Hope I have explained myself. Won't want to dwell any further into this. Have a good day.
Ben, just to be clear I was not arguing your position. If there was any offense taken on your side then my apologies. J
Old 5 October 2021, 04:33 PM   #19
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ben, just to be clear I was not arguing your position. If there was any offense taken on your side then my apologies. J
no worries.