The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 August 2021, 10:48 AM   #61
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
It’s a beauty and you can wash the car and wear it.

Where in Canada was the work done ? I’m guessing toronto, but we had a smaller AD in Montreal that would get the dials from central and do it locally. Regards, harry

Hi Harry .. yes, you’re correct. The address on the top of the service receipt stating the work done is RSC Toronto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 12:20 PM   #62
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I do not think you will be able to do a service of this sort for much longer as parts are running out for the 1675… The service cost may have gone up a lot but the but cost for parts is definitely at a premium (thru RSC). Forget about nipple dials with Luminova. Perhaps Geneva may have them just like the service dial for red subs, IDK.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 07:32 PM   #63
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
I do not think you will be able to do a service of this sort for much longer as parts are running out for the 1675… The service cost may have gone up a lot but the but cost for parts is definitely at a premium (thru RSC). Forget about nipple dials with Luminova. Perhaps Geneva may have them just like the service dial for red subs, IDK.
The prospect of my original 1980 matte dial being replaced,'lost'/'mislaid' during a service is another reason why I put off having my watch serviced for so long. There is no way I would want a replacement dial, but how do we instruct RSC to carry out our instructions?
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 09:58 PM   #64
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post

Funny you should say that because one was just posted for sale.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=814463

Super luminova , Swiss, nipple service dial. Listing says the watch was serviced in that late 90s.

Old 3 August 2021, 01:16 AM   #65
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
Funny you should say that because one was just posted for sale.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=814463

Super luminova , Swiss, nipple service dial. Listing says the watch was serviced in that late 90s.

That is something... nice vault patina (tarnishing) on the bracelet. Yes, I was more suggesting even these dials are hard to come by now. That sunburst effect, from what I have read on this forum, was only available in the later years of the 1675/3 and the beginning of the 16753. When I took mine in for a service estimate at the RSC in Beverly Hills 2019, the rep suggested I take it to a certified watch maker rather than RSC because they would replace everything. I still had them take it for what they called an authentication, the cost of which would be folded into the service cost, prior to them even agreeing to service it. They did agree to servicing the watch without replacing parts but I have no idea what they would have replaced them with. My dial has a Tiffany stamp so they understood why I did not want to replace the dial. My watch is a 3.2 mill serial so not much newer than that watch in the link.
Old 3 August 2021, 01:42 AM   #66
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

great find and I understand your point of view. well done
Old 3 August 2021, 02:11 AM   #67
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
The prospect of my original 1980 matte dial being replaced,'lost'/'mislaid' during a service is another reason why I put off having my watch serviced for so long. There is no way I would want a replacement dial, but how do we instruct RSC to carry out our instructions?
My watch is from are kind 1973 and they did require it be authenticated through their Lillitz, Pennsylvania service facility prior to service. I told the before it went off that I did not want to replace the dial, hands or insert. Nor did I want it polished. They came back with an estimate that did not recommend replacement any of those parts. They did however insist on replacement of the all
Brown insert with the half and half brown and gold and a new bezel ring. Those were required parts. Recommended was a new bracelet of which they offered a jubilee or oyster. I think if you have your desires for service in writing they will honor it.
Old 3 August 2021, 02:32 AM   #68
Trog
Banned

My 1675 (3.3m) is in dire need of a service however I'm terrified of sending it into RSC given all the nightmare reports we've heard in the past. Even with explicit instructions just to service the movements, so often they've been returned with 'new' hands and dials.

What to do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pep1_1.jpg (266.3 KB, 394 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 02:36 AM   #69
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
My 1675 (3.3m) is in dire need of a service however I'm terrified of sending it into RSC given all the nightmare reports we've heard in the past. Even with explicit instructions just to service the movements, so often they've been returned with 'new' hands and dials.

What to do?
What a beauty. That is in incredible condition all around.

What about using an independent to service? I know in my area (north of NYC) there are several very good watchmakers I would trust with servicing.
Old 3 August 2021, 03:37 AM   #70
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
What a beauty. That is in incredible condition all around.

What about using an independent to service? I know in my area (north of NYC) there are several very good watchmakers I would trust with servicing.
We have two local independents in the area. One with mixed reviews, the other with generally stellar reviews.

My concern is parts. I heard that RSC will not sell parts to interdependent shops. I would prefer to keep my watch 100% Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pep3_1.jpg (289.2 KB, 406 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 03:56 AM   #71
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We have two local independents in the area. One with mixed reviews, the other with generally stellar reviews.

My concern is parts. I heard that RSC will not sell parts to interdependent shops. I would prefer to keep my watch 100% Rolex.
Don't just go by what you hear, especially if it is from anonymous people on the internet (yes, I get the irony). There are a small number of independents who have been able to keep their Rolex parts accounts. Not many, but some. Of course, depending on what parts are needed, Rolex may not have them at all for a 1675. In any case, take your time and do your own real research and you will be ok.
Old 3 August 2021, 06:17 AM   #72
TimeLord2

Quote:

I never did take mine to RSC. In the end Phillip Ridley did the job and replaced parts with genuine Rolex parts including several gear wheels he identified as having damage, plus the reverser wheels (whatever those are… I'm not a watchmaker!) and a pallet fork. Also sourced a nice correct and original gold bezel ring with good teeth for the watch and an original crystal. Was a little less than RSC quoted. I was very satisfied with the service, so much so, that I recommended his services to my Dad for his explorer. Watch is currently running a little under +2 seconds per day after 3 months. I did get a new insert (16753 version was all they have at this point, no fat fonts!) from Rolex shortly thereafter, and they charged me to give back the all brown but period correct insert and install the new one. Phillip will send you an insured label for FedEx, insured to your liking, and specific instructions for delivery and pickup. Thanks Phillip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5892_s.jpg (185.7 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5993_s.jpg (163.1 KB, 413 views)
Old 3 August 2021, 08:13 PM   #73
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Having read all the helpful posts above, I was at the point of changing my mind and taking my 16750 to RSC for a service. But now after reading how they might make the bracelet and bezel ring a necessary replacement, I think I'd better think it through again! All I want is the movement serviced and a new crown and tube, but I can still manage by making sure I firmly push the crown onto the thread.
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 01:59 PM   #74
Classique Breguet
2024 Pledge Member

I'm a big fan of the time capsule look. I also like functional lume. I'd buy one like this if it came up at a good price.
Classique Breguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 02:36 PM   #75
Nickyisrael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Never thought of it from that perspective. Awesome watch. Wear it in good health
Nickyisrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 08:51 AM   #76
Classique Breguet
2024 Pledge Member

I'm sure lots of vintage guys are getting upset by this watch. I'm putting one together like this for the same reasons. I like the look, but I also like functional lume.
I don't care if some people don't like it.
Classique Breguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:09 AM   #77
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classique Breguet View Post
I'm sure lots of vintage guys are getting upset by this watch. I'm putting one together like this for the same reasons. I like the look, but I also like functional lume.
I don't care if some people don't like it.

Surprisingly I’ve had a great response to this. And I agree with you, it only matters if you like it. I for one love this 1675 so much it hasn’t left my wrist.

Best of luck on yours.

Old 1 October 2021, 01:33 AM   #78
Patapt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Rolex GMT-Master 1675

Three years ago I sent my 1969 1675 to Rolex Dallas. (I bought it new when I was still a teenager.) It was worn, stretched, scratched, faded, just looked old, which it was. It came back like new. I couldn't be happier. I had them fit a Jubilee to replace the stretched Oyster. Three years on, it still looks new. I wear it 24/365.
Patapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 03:45 AM   #79
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Sounds like you know exactly what you like and got it; regardless of what the masses prefer. That's great and I applaud you for finding the perfect watch for you. Nicely done and beautiful piece.
Old 9 March 2023, 06:49 AM   #80
Jawnz
"TRF" Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but I found it very useful and gave me more confidence with going through RSC service on my 1675. I am also going to pay the premium to be “allowed” to keep my old parts in addition to getting new service dial bezel and bracelet.
Jawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 02:43 AM   #81
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

Very nice indeed
Smouraneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 09:25 PM   #82
Dezorra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 GMT “Pepsi”
I think it’s fantastic and that your buying philosophy is spot on. It’s as close as you could get today to stepping back in time and buying a brand new 1675 yourself. All the better because you plan to actually wear the watch and use it on a regular basis. I would have jumped on this one too.
Old 10 March 2023, 10:01 PM   #83
0-60
"TRF" Member

That’s perfect! Love it. Congrats.
Old 11 March 2023, 12:31 AM   #84
Simon916
"TRF" Member

Absolutely stunning - what more can I say?
Simon916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 05:02 AM   #85
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Great choice... a factory fresh 1675!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 06:54 AM   #86
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Great looking watch.
Old 11 March 2023, 08:51 AM   #87
berdboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 64 gmt pepsi
Mine looks exactly the same [1964 gmt pepsi.] .went to rsc 3-4 times in its life.. I wanted one that was vntage but looked new from a few feet away... I love yours , as its the twin to mine... PAID 9500.00 FOR IT A FEW MONTHS AGO..MIGHT BE TOO MUCH $$$ BUT IT WAS WHAT I WANTED..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my rolex resized2.jpg (175.0 KB, 186 views)
berdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 12:33 PM   #88
LonewolfOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep18 View Post
I. Love. It.

For real that’s awesome.

This is the type of vintage reference I’d love to own. I have a 124060 and my wife has a lovely 16013. GMT is my next purchase and would love a new BLNR, but these vintage pieces are special! I may start looking…
LonewolfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:45 AM   #89
Snowballs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
The vintage pieces definitely have more heart.
Snowballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 04:56 PM   #90
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
A “new” 1675

Like a few others on here I share your appreciation for a service 1675 — my favourite reference.

I understand why some people like the originality — but for me functionality is more important than originality. My 1675 was similarly a service watch, and I wouldn’t buy a vintage that’s original due to the lack of lume and poor service history.

Congrats on your Pepsi! Wear it in good health and with great pride.

Here’s my service BB.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote