The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 September 2021, 06:29 AM   #1
Enzo Gorlomi
"TRF" Member

Datejust lost in transit/ Refund refused

Hi TRF,

I was hoping for my first post on the forum to a be a picture of my new Datejust, but I’ve ran into some serious issues and would appreciate any input/advice. Back in the beginning of June, I came across a post in the FS section for a BNIB datejust 126300 listed by Jtejeda320 . The price was fair and the seller looked to have been active on TRF for quite some time. I put in an offer for the watch, the seller accepted, and the deal was done. Next, I verified the sellers references and wired the funds over. The seller was very responsive and sent the package via usps that same, providing both a tracking number and picture of the receipt. The package was shipped overnight via express mail with signature upon delivery required. This is where all the trouble started… one day went by, then a month , and now three months and I am still yet to receive the watch. The seller has stayed in contact with me but finally after multiple months, claims, and missing mail searches they have stopped searching for the package. Given that the watch is all but gone, I approached the seller about a potential refund (unfortunately he did not insure the package). Initially he told me he didn’t immediately have the money to send me back since he used it for the deposit for his skydweller. A month or so later when I brought this up again, he said that he actually sold the watch for a friend and as a way to build is reputation on the form. This was a bit of a shock to me because I was unaware of any third party involved and this information would have made me reluctant to even purchase the watch in the first place. Another month has now passed by and while the seller remains responsive he claims the friend for which he sold the watch for has been avoiding his texts. The last we spoke, I asked for his friends contact information so that my attorney could do the necessary. He then sent the contact info over and told me that he could not convince him to refund me. This whole situation has been an absolute nightmare and I am beginning to worry that there has been some foul play going on here. The fact that USPS lost the watch coupled with the fact that the seller now claims to just be the middle man in the situation has me very concerned/suspicious.
Enzo Gorlomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 09:47 AM   #2
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Seems as if you have been taken by another wire transfer scam?
So many of these. Some people here deny wiring money is dangerous.
Your story is overall quite weird.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 10:18 AM   #3
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Wow.... The fact this has gone this long is amazing!
Go to the police and file a report, NOW. Give them all info you have on the seller, and claim wire fraud. I doubt there was ever even a watch being sent to you..
Sorry to hear of it.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 10:29 AM   #4
tike71
"TRF" Member

The seller being a middleman doesn't absolve him from his obligation to provide you with the watch you bought or return of funds. It was extremely naive of the seller to not purchase insurance. Sorry to say but you may have to settle this in court.
Old 28 September 2021, 10:43 AM   #5
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
How long was the seller active? Did you see recommendations for this seller in TRF?
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 10:53 AM   #6
Enzo Gorlomi
"TRF" Member

He has been active since 2018 and it appeared that he had a few listings on the forum where he successfully sold watches. He gave two references who both gave positive feedback based on previous transactions. I informed both of them of how the transaction has gone south and they seem extremely surprised.
Old 28 September 2021, 10:56 AM   #7
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Gorlomi View Post
He has been active since 2018 and it appeared that he had a few listings on the forum where he successfully sold watches. He gave two references who both gave positive feedback based on previous transactions. I informed both of them of how the transaction has gone south and they seem extremely surprised.

Thank you!
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 11:41 AM   #8
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
It is unfathomable to me that the seller didn't insure it for the full value of the watch with USPS when he shipped it. He also should have shipped it registered mail.

Something's not adding up.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 12:02 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
This is one reason why we clearly state in the rules that any watch put up for sale must be the legal property of the seller.

Separately, it is the seller's responsibility to get the watch to your address in good working order and signed for.
Old 28 September 2021, 12:42 PM   #10
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

I agree that seller should've insured the package, but as the buyer you should've insisted that the package be insured. I would never buy anything online that has a high monetary value without insuring the shipping. In these cases the seller will never claim responsibility.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 12:58 PM   #11
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Datejust lost in transit/ Refund refused

He listed the watch in December of 2020 and you bought it in June of 2021, that’s worrisome. Then it went sideways and you waited way too long to come out with it. Did you get his real name and bank account information? I would file a police report and figure out where he works.

I’m sure you can surf LinkedIn, use salesforce to find his company email or phone number and start creating a major issue for him until you get your money back. seriously, find out where he works and make it a problem. I’ll email someone’s entire company telling them the story of how they stole money from me. My pettiness knows no boundaries.

Also, really sorry this happened to you. We forget sometimes when we read these threads that on the other end of the internet is someone that just lost a lot of money. I hope you get this resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 01:19 PM   #12
KatGirl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
If he only had 2 references, I would not have bought from him. Could have been two buddies, or fake references. You said the price was fair. That would have sent up a red flag for me, because all the prices I’ve seen are outrageous, based on the current shortage of merchandise. I have purchased a sub from a well known seller on this forum., who had many satisfied customers, who were already known to me. Your story is certainly a cautionary tale. He could have printed a label, and showed you, and then not sent anything. The fact that he showed you the label would have been another red flag, to me, also. Who does that? Face it. You were taken for thousands of dollars. File a report. Good luck.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 02:17 PM   #13
Enzo Gorlomi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
He listed the watch in December of 2020 and you bought it in June of 2021, that’s worrisome. Then it went sideways and you waited way too long to come out with it. Did you get his real name and bank account information? I would file a police report and figure out where he works.

I’m sure you can surf LinkedIn, use salesforce to find his company email or phone number and start creating a major issue for him until you get your money back. seriously, find out where he works and make it a problem. I’ll email someone’s entire company telling them the story of how they stole money from me. My pettiness knows no boundaries.

Also, really sorry this happened to you. We forget sometimes when we read these threads that on the other end of the internet is someone that just lost a lot of money. I hope you get this resolved.

Thanks Shaun. I do happen to have all of his information; address, name, bank info, employer, etc. I also have pretty overwhelming evidence that he is who he says he is which is why I wasn’t panicking initially. After a quick few quick searches, I now have his employers email as well.
Old 28 September 2021, 03:56 PM   #14
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

So I wonder if the account of Jtejeda320 may have been hacked?
This occurs from time to time, and of course, contacting his references would make the scammer appear as a legitimate and well thought of seller.

Your wired money is most certainly gone . . . that is almost always the case.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
Old 28 September 2021, 04:13 PM   #15
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi TRF,

I was hoping for my first post on the forum to a be a picture of my new Datejust, but I’ve ran into some serious issues and would appreciate any input/advice. Back in the beginning of June, I came across a post in the FS section for a BNIB datejust 126300 listed by Jtejeda320 . The price was fair and the seller looked to have been active on TRF for quite some time. I put in an offer for the watch, the seller accepted, and the deal was done. Next, I verified the sellers references and wired the funds over. The seller was very responsive and sent the package via usps that same, providing both a tracking number and picture of the receipt. The package was shipped overnight via express mail with signature upon delivery required. This is where all the trouble started… one day went by, then a month , and now three months and I am still yet to receive the watch. The seller has stayed in contact with me but finally after multiple months, claims, and missing mail searches they have stopped searching for the package. Given that the watch is all but gone, I approached the seller about a potential refund (unfortunately he did not insure the package). Initially he told me he didn’t immediately have the money to send me back since he used it for the deposit for his skydweller. A month or so later when I brought this up again, he said that he actually sold the watch for a friend and as a way to build is reputation on the form. This was a bit of a shock to me because I was unaware of any third party involved and this information would have made me reluctant to even purchase the watch in the first place. Another month has now passed by and while the seller remains responsive he claims the friend for which he sold the watch for has been avoiding his texts. The last we spoke, I asked for his friends contact information so that my attorney could do the necessary. He then sent the contact info over and told me that he could not convince him to refund me. This whole situation has been an absolute nightmare and I am beginning to worry that there has been some foul play going on here. The fact that USPS lost the watch coupled with the fact that the seller now claims to just be the middle man in the situation has me very concerned/suspicious.
You have (quite clearly, imo) been scammed, contact the police. There were so many warning signs:
  1. You say the price was "fair", which I assume you mean low. "If it looks too good to be true...".
  2. No-one in their right minds sends a Rolex without shipping insurance.
  3. He was a middle-man and you should never do such a deal with contacting the owner.
  4. He only had two references which could have been anyone.
  5. You paid by wire transfer which basically has no protection.

You have been too naive and trusting and have not applied basic common sense throughout this process, and scammers take full advantage of people like this.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:01 AM   #16
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

This scam will never cease because it is so insidiously successful.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
Old 29 September 2021, 01:33 AM   #17
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am sorry this occurred. Contact the Police and start the process.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:22 AM   #18
Enzo Gorlomi
"TRF" Member

Update: I reached out to the seller one last time imploring him to do the right thing here and he replied that he had attempted to log back on to TRF to “read the rules” but saw he had been banned for scamming. He is vehemently opposed to the idea that he has/is scamming me and has said he is very offended by this. Additionally, he believes he has done nothing unethical here while simultaneously saying there’s no way he is refunding me for the watch that was not delivered.
Old 29 September 2021, 07:03 AM   #19
sleddog

Quote:
Update: I reached out to the seller one last time imploring him to do the right thing here and he replied that he had attempted to log back on to TRF to “read the rules” but saw he had been banned for scamming. He is vehemently opposed to the idea that he has/is scamming me and has said he is very offended by this. Additionally, he believes he has done nothing unethical here while simultaneously saying there’s no way he is refunding me for the watch that was not delivered.
As before, give all details you have on this ‘person’ to the authorities, and have the law sort him out.
As for the rules of this forum. Any watch sold must be owned and in the physical possession of the seller.
Beyond that, common sense is the seller is responsible to deliver the sold item to the buyer. Failure to do that, falls squarely on him/them. He is responsible for the item, and should issue a refund, without question once delivery has failed, and all options exhausted.
This seller can be upset all he wants, as I’m especially sure he would be equally upset should the shoe be on the other foot!
No more wasting time Enzo with this failed seller/scammer.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 08:28 PM   #20
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
If we assume that the seller is honest.
Firstly, I am surprised the USPS has lost a fairly large “overnight” priority express package ?
Secondly, I am trying to figure how could the seller have scam you, when “ the package”
was in postal hands.?
Thirdly, for his scam to have worked he must have had inside help - not unheard of,
but highly unlikely that in this particular post office he has an accomplice

The only way that someone stole the package is if the seller has mentioned on the receipt the word Rolex
or the word watch or Datejust…or some written clue about the value of the content.

He must have refunded your money
The police will do nothing

You can go to a Small claims court in his town
A small claims court will make the complex court system a little more streamlined.
You can typically file using simple forms that are often available online (though you’ll likely need to visit a courthouse to actually file them). There are fees involved, but they tend to be low.
You also don’t need to have a lawyer in small claims court, though depending on the guy you’re going up against, he might have one, in which case you must have one as well.
There is no guarantee you will win.
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 08:59 PM   #21
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
All talk. Sorry but You got scammed..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:08 PM   #22
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
What a nightmare, hope you get it resolved
Old 30 September 2021, 01:01 PM   #23
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
This scam will never cease because it is so insidiously successful.
This is exactly it; it doesn't make it any less fraudulent, but it takes 2 to make this scam work . . . someone conniving and someone uncareful.
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:09 PM   #24
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Seems as if you have been taken by another wire transfer scam?
So many of these. Some people here deny wiring money is dangerous.
Your story is overall quite weird.
Agree x 1000. The fact that he failed to be honest about another person’s involvement is very concerning. So concerning in fact that I suspect he doesn’t exist. So sorry but the Miss Marple in me says he’s stolen your money.
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:24 PM   #25
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Wow OP you have a ton of patience, I dont think he even shipped a watch. Hope this resolves in your favor.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 10:24 AM   #26
1665fan
"TRF" Member

You got scammed 100%
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 11:11 AM   #27
snakeeyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post

I agree, there are many ways to tackle this. Please dont give up!
snakeeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 02:53 AM   #28
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear this but you were scammed. Threatening to hire an attorney is not going to do anything, any smart person knows you are not going to spend 10k to hire someone. Got to the police asap, preferably right after things became obvious when the package never arrived with excuses. Plenty of trusted sellers to choose from on trf, plus crown and caliber etc out there.
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 08:34 PM   #29
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
What I don’t understand is what was inside the list package? If it’s the actual watch then it’s not a scam but the courier’s. Am I missing something?

Old 3 October 2021, 08:59 PM   #30
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
What I don’t understand is what was inside the list package? If it’s the actual watch then it’s not a scam but the courier’s. Am I missing something?

There is no watch lol……wake up…..dude got scammed it’s over….
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote