The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 September 2021, 09:55 PM   #1
monicadrb91
"TRF" Member

Looking for Rolex 5501 explorer / air king

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, but I have been reading and have found valuable information so far, so thank you all for your knowledge!

I am looking to find as much information on a vintage Rolex that was stolen a few years ago and that I'm looking to replace. It belonged to my great grandfather and was gifted by my grandfather to me.

From all the research I have done I believe it must be a Rolex 5501 (either Explorer or Air King, although it could be an Oyster Perpetual) from late 50's - 60s. It had a rare coloured dial - grey / slate.

Here is the only picture I have of it - the quality is not the best so I cannot read exactly what it says on the dial.

If any one has any more information, including price, or knows anyone that might be looking to sell one, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0627.JPG (286.1 KB, 91 views)
monicadrb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 03:51 AM   #2
CTech
"TRF" Member

Although it is difficult to see many details from the photograph, I think there is enough there to show that the watch is unlikely to be a 5500 series Air King or Explorer. I also think the watch is later than the late 1950s to 1960s and is possibly late 1970s to mid 1980s.

There are three things that make me think that this is not an Air King:

1. There are two lines of script across the bottom of the dial showing that it has a chronometer tested movement. Air Kings of that vintage had Precision or Superprecision on the dial in one line of script as they were not fitted with chronometer movements.

2. The hands are flat ended whereas most Air Kings had pointed end hands and Explorers had different design hands altogether.

3. The gold bezel is fluted whereas Air Kings were generally fitted with smooth bezels.

If the watch was 34mm, I think the closest fit is a model 1005 such as this one:

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex...id20350476.htm

These are often wrongly described as 5500 or Air Kings by dealers because they don't bother to take the bracelet off and check the model number, so there is a lot of confusion, especially in the chrono24 listings.

If you went ahead and bought a 1005, you could find good examples with a silver or champagne dial but it is very unlikely you will find an exact copy of the original watch with a grey or slate dial.

Some of these watches were fitted with grey/slate mosaic or shantung dials and you could find one of those eventually, or just an ordinary grey sunburst dial, and have a watchmaker swap dials later.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 11:22 AM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Sometimes the 5501 didn't even have Precision on the dial, if it was a 17-jewel version destined for the USA. My 1964 AK 5501 is like that, with a fluted bezel.