The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2021, 12:26 AM   #1
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k - Sky D
AD Spend

Does a service count as ‘spend’ with an AD.

I just had a watch return from RSC, and the sales person claimed that it will ‘activate’ my account again.

Or just show as ‘activity’ 🤷🏻*♂️

I guess accounts must go ‘dormant’ or something if no activity for a while. I have only bought one watch many years back so just wondered whether this counts. I’ve been waiting a long time for a BLNR.

Thanks

Ω Swatch X Omega Mission to Jupiter (SO33C100)
Linuxpenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 12:44 AM   #2
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Not enough for them to care about. They have customers spending 10s of thousands to get a BLNR. An $800 service isn’t going to make a huge dent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 12:46 AM   #3
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Not enough for them to care about. They have customers spending 10s of thousands to get a BLNR. An $800 service isn’t going to make a huge dent.

+1
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:07 AM   #4
RolexADreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Chrono Perp
are you guys serious? it's not like collecting sticker points, prev purchase history means your dealer knows who you are, if he can't remember your name or face how can u think to get allocated the watch you (and everyone else) want?
Old 29 September 2021, 01:34 AM   #5
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post

Ow! ;(

Old 29 September 2021, 01:50 AM   #6
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Gray market resellers are the backdoor for most ADs. I've contacted handful of them recently and it's always the same response ."oh..I have various AD sources..which model are u after..I can get it within a month, easy".

But of course, you pay grey market price even though the watch is coming straight from a AD stock.

It's a win-win for both parties ..AD can offload stock pretty easily to satisfy Rolex, Resellers make 40%-100% profit. And some of these resellers also sell jewelry (also sourced from same AD).

Bottomline: Even if u spend $20k at a AD, it's nothing compared to their VIP clients. Don't have the link right now but some AD's also do "private viewing" to their VIP clients behind closed doors..... BEFORE any customer ever gets to see it.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:58 AM   #7
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Gray market resellers are the backdoor for most ADs. I've contacted handful of them recently and it's always the same response ."oh..I have various AD sources..which model are u after..I can get it within a month, easy".

But of course, you pay grey market price even though the watch is coming straight from a AD stock.

It's a win-win for both parties ..AD can offload stock pretty easily to satisfy Rolex, Resellers make 40%-100% profit. And some of these resellers also sell jewelry (also sourced from same AD).

Bottomline: Even if u spend $20k at a AD, it's nothing compared to their VIP clients. Don't have the link right now but some AD's also do "private viewing" to their VIP clients behind closed doors..... BEFORE any customer ever gets to see it.
I hear you. It's rather unfair.

Old 29 September 2021, 02:01 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
AFAIK

If you’re dropping off at an AD, and the AD then remits payment to Rolex via their merchant account, less their markup, then yes. You spent that money on the AD and the AD then pays Rolex the net cost for the service.

If you just used the AD to facilitate shipping and your credit card was used to pay via RSC directly then very likely no.

This is why I let my AD handle r&m. I have a local person to lean on if there’s an issue and it goes on my file.

But if the AD is run well, you’ll be in their CRM and if they’re really smart they’ll sell you a watch.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 02:05 AM   #9
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
AFAIK

If you’re dropping off at an AD, and the AD then remits payment to Rolex via their merchant account, less their markup, then yes. You spent that money on the AD and the AD then pays Rolex the net cost for the service.

If you just used the AD to facilitate shipping and your credit card was used to pay via RSC directly then very likely no.

This is why I let my AD handle r&m. I have a local person to lean on if there’s an issue and it goes on my file.

But if the AD is run well, you’ll be in their CRM and if they’re really smart they’ll sell you a watch.
Thanks for the insight :)

Old 29 September 2021, 02:17 AM   #10
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxpenguins View Post
Ow! ;(
i wish it were easier! I am probably in a very similar position, i haven't spent a whole lot. If i buy a few thousand in jewelry for the wife, someone else has spent 10x that and wants the same watch i want. The BLNR is just so hot right now.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 02:22 AM   #11
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:

.....and the sales person claimed that it will ‘activate’ my account again.

I guess accounts must go ‘dormant’ or something if no activity for a while......
As you illustrate, I think the word "again" is pretty revealing.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 02:44 AM   #12
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:

I just had a watch return from RSC, and the sales person claimed that it will ‘activate’ my account again.

Or just show as ‘activity’ ����*♂️

I guess accounts must go ‘dormant’ or something if no activity for a while. I have only bought one watch many years back so just wondered whether this counts. I’ve been waiting a long time for a BLNR.

Thanks
Is this WOS group? Without prompting from me I too was told that having a watch serviced/repaired would qualify as purchase history and would qualify me for Rolex purchase. This was at a WOS group store. I think they have to follow a sales matrix and you have to tick certain boxes. Even if the rules don't make much sense.

America seems to be very different so what is true there is different from the UK.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 02:47 AM   #13
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I suppose that buying a watch and then years later having it serviced proves that you are a real customer who actually buys a watch to wear it. Just speculating.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 03:27 AM   #14
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Is this WOS group? Without prompting from me I too was told that having a watch serviced/repaired would qualify as purchase history and would qualify me for Rolex purchase. This was at a WOS group store. I think they have to follow a sales matrix and you have to tick certain boxes. Even if the rules don't make much sense.

America seems to be very different so what is true there is different from the UK.
It’s not, but it was a U.K. AD. Maybe I’ll get a call now for the BLNR I registered interest in, 38 months or so back! 🤣

Old 29 September 2021, 03:52 AM   #15
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Sure it “counts”. But is it enough to get you allocated a bruce wayne? That’s another story.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:09 AM   #16
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
They suck to tell anyone that! They can activate this!!!
Old 29 September 2021, 04:11 AM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Did you ask the AD?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:11 AM   #18
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Yes it will count. Just service 20 of your watches and maybe they will offer you a ladies datejust
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:13 AM   #19
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Sure it “counts”. But is it enough to get you allocated a bruce wayne? That’s another story.
Yea that's probably what he'd get, whatever a bruce wayne is
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:27 AM   #20
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
They suck to tell anyone that! They can activate this!!!
Old 29 September 2021, 04:34 AM   #21
Master_Grogu
Banned

AP invites me to VIP events and I have to wait for ROO. But I get them eventually.

If Rolex doesn’t invite you to VIP events, you stand no chance unfortunately.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:53 AM   #22
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
AP invites me to VIP events and I have to wait for ROO. But I get them eventually.

If Rolex doesn’t invite you to VIP events, you stand no chance unfortunately.
In my opinion, AP seems to control customer data at the AP level whereas Rolex mostly lets ADs all manage data independately. I have only bought one AP, from an AD and AP knows I exist. I’m definitely not a VIP though. I have spent a lot more money on Rolex and they have no idea.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 02:36 PM   #23
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Thanks for the insight :)
Pleasure
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:16 PM   #24
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
It’s not, but it was a U.K. AD. Maybe I’ll get a call now for the BLNR I registered interest in, 38 months or so back! 🤣
What else have you spent over these 38 months?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:50 PM   #25
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
What else have you spent over these 38 months?
Fair point

Old 29 September 2021, 10:06 PM   #26
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Or just show as ‘activity’ ����*♂️

Thanks
I think that Rolex realise that anyone can sell Rolexes at retail price these days , what proves a good AD with local people coming back is the servicing.

Off loading 100s of Hot models that the AD wont ever see again might prove to be some dealers downfall
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 10:56 PM   #27
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
In my opinion, AP seems to control customer data at the AP level whereas Rolex mostly lets ADs all manage data independately. I have only bought one AP, from an AD and AP knows I exist. I’m definitely not a VIP though. I have spent a lot more money on Rolex and they have no idea.
I think rolex AD can trace your purchase history easily when you request for a new watch.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 11:45 PM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post

And I suppose you have proof of this or is it internet hearsay, so what you are saying Rolex only sells watches to VIP customers. And all ADs sell watches out of the backdoor to grey market sellers. So do these VIP buyers also sell the watches they buy then sell to the grey market. Or is it more likely that Rolex watches have become little more than ££$$€€€ objects, bought by any Tom, Dick or Harry, then sold to the grey market hopefully for profit. As its doubtful if Rolex or any AD cares who buys there watches as its just a sale, and without watch sales no AD or even Rolex themselves could survive.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:18 AM   #29
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I doubt it. Most of the cost went to RSC, not the AD, who in many cases just charges actual shipping costs with no money earned.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 02:11 AM   #30
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair point
zero spend history at AD in more than 3 years = no SS Rolex
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote