The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 September 2021, 06:57 AM   #1
wclowe
Banned

Paul Newman's Daytona Makes First Public Appearance

https://www.rolexmagazine.com/2021/0...grail.html?m=1

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 07:05 AM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I guess it’s true that Rolex was the one who bid on it? ‘Private collection, supported by Rolex’….
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 07:17 AM   #3
EjectoSeatoCuz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I guess it’s true that Rolex was the one who bid on it? ‘Private collection, supported by Rolex’….
More likely it means Rolex facilitated the loan of the watch from the buyer. Probably got them to agree for it to be displayed, plus paid for transport and insurance.
EjectoSeatoCuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 07:25 AM   #4
wclowe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EjectoSeatoCuz View Post
More likely it means Rolex facilitated the loan of the watch from the buyer. Probably got them to agree for it to be displayed, plus paid for transport and insurance.

I didn’t read it that way - seemed like Rolex bought it. If so I wonder if it’s going on display elsewhere? Petersen auto museum is down the street…

wclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 07:34 AM   #5
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EjectoSeatoCuz View Post
It could be... but Rolex being a notoriously private company.. have they ever supported a private collector in displaying their watch? Just curious since the description is a little vague.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 07:40 AM   #6
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
It could be... but Rolex being a notoriously private company.. have they ever supported a private collector in displaying their watch? Just curious since the description is a little vague.
Rolex bought it for sure. Makes total sense. Its nice to see the reverse panda aspect of it. Someone on TRF tried to say the black dial with light sub dials was the Paul Newman. My YG Daytona is like this one with black sub dials on a lighter colored dial. In 2000 when mine was introduced, it was called a Paul Newman dial...
Old 27 September 2021, 08:37 AM   #7
Rafabond
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, etc
the watch was bought by a private businessman from Switzerland
Rafabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 08:39 AM   #8
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafabond View Post
the watch was bought by a private businessman from Switzerland
Yes, representing Wilhelm lol...

I have no idea but it makes sense to me if they did.
Old 27 September 2021, 09:14 AM   #9
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
It makes total sense if Rolex bought it.
Paul was an actor, pro racer & whatnot.
They can’t let it fall into the “wrong hand”.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 09:31 AM   #10
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Just four pieces of thin glass around the watch? Light security for arguably the most significant watch... ever.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 01:16 PM   #11
ks58
Banned

Definitely a significant watch. But I read it as someone in the private sector bought this watch and not Rolex. Obviously, this person who bought it probably has quite a collection and relationship with Rolex so when the non-profit comes calling, I doubt it'd be a problem to show it off.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 01:17 PM   #12
Doug5551
"TRF" Member

I like the retro black crocodile bundt strap.

It reminds me when I was a kid I had a watch on a leather bundt strap. Great memories!!
Doug5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 06:00 PM   #13
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Honestly, I don't get the amount of... reverence that this watch is getting.

But this watch is great piece of marketing. Good for the company and good for the brand.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 07:22 PM   #14
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
A true iconic piece with the background to go with it.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 07:22 PM   #15
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Paul Newman's Daytona Makes First Public Appearance

The difference between legendary and mundane.
Others thought that maybe taking a watch to the moon would get the brand there where Rolex is now but they failed.

Old 27 September 2021, 07:47 PM   #16
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

It looked like someone had worn it on the strap, one lucky person.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 09:24 PM   #17
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
arguably the most significant watch... ever.
Until they find Buzz Aldrin's Speedy. Or the Oyster that Mercedes Gleitze took across the English Channel. Maybe I'm an idiot but I have a hard time understanding the worship of Newman's Daytona. It's a watch that was worn by a celebrity and that's pretty much it. It doesn't scream historically significant to me, other than as a marketing coup. Flame suit on lol.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 04:06 AM   #18
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

I met him once at the Mercedes tent at a race. He said didn't get the hype either lol!!! Just a present from Joanne!

What a great guy and icon for Rolex he was and is!!
Old 29 September 2021, 05:33 AM   #19
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwillis0001 View Post
Until they find Buzz Aldrin's Speedy. Or the Oyster that Mercedes Gleitze took across the English Channel. Maybe I'm an idiot but I have a hard time understanding the worship of Newman's Daytona. It's a watch that was worn by a celebrity and that's pretty much it. It doesn't scream historically significant to me, other than as a marketing coup. Flame suit on lol.
I’m going to guess you’re relatively young and don’t know how much Paul Newman was loved and respected. As an actor he personified the superstar Movie Star having a long career during the Golden Age of Hollywood. Later as a race car driver and team owner he again was revered as the real deal not just a rich famous guy playing with toys.
Perhaps his greatest legacy was as a philanthropist. Newman’s Own, his company known for its gourmet salad dressings, etc, was set up to donate all after tax profits to charity, so far totalling over $570M.
A cover shot on an Italian magazine in the late 80’s with him sporting his Daytona is generally credited as starting the craze for the watch that has endured to this day. Although “only a celebrity” it’s fair to say that The Actual Watch that started this horological legacy is pretty important. The fact that he was such a good guy makes it even better.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:40 AM   #20
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Paul Newman is in a different class than other actors that wanted to race. The man actually came in second at the 24 hours of Le Mans. That’s a pretty big deal.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:45 AM   #21
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I’m going to guess you’re relatively young and don’t know how much Paul Newman was loved and respected. As an actor he personified the superstar Movie Star having a long career during the Golden Age of Hollywood. Later as a race car driver and team owner he again was revered as the real deal not just a rich famous guy playing with toys.
Perhaps his greatest legacy was as a philanthropist. Newman’s Own, his company known for its gourmet salad dressings, etc, was set up to donate all after tax profits to charity, so far totalling over $570M.
A cover shot on an Italian magazine in the late 80’s with him sporting his Daytona is generally credited as starting the craze for the watch that has endured to this day. Although “only a celebrity” it’s fair to say that The Actual Watch that started this horological legacy is pretty important. The fact that he was such a good guy makes it even better.
I'm old enough to know how much Paul Newman was loved and respected. Hell, I love his work myself. And there's no doubt that his watch started the whole Daytona craze; like many on here I know the story. That said, it's still so famous because it's a celebrity owned watch and that's pretty much it, as I said up thread. Nothing at all wrong with that but let's call it what it is.
Old 29 September 2021, 06:34 AM   #22
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidemywalletplease View Post
paul newman is in a different class than other actors that wanted to race. The man actually came in second at the 24 hours of le mans. That’s a pretty big deal.
Old 29 September 2021, 06:48 AM   #23
thefollandgnat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm an idiot but I have a hard time understanding the worship of Newman's Daytona. It's a watch that was worn by a celebrity and that's pretty much it.
I agree. A guy who's famous for pretending to be other people, big deal. I've nothing against the guy, he seemed nice enough, but it's not like he was a nurse, a school teacher or anything useful. I'm sure he'd be the first to agree as to how ephemeral acting is.

If it's the car stuff, I thought it was we Brits who lionised people for coming second or last.

$17 million, it makes no sense at all.
thefollandgnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 07:17 AM   #24
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefollandgnat View Post
I agree. A guy who's famous for pretending to be other people, big deal. I've nothing against the guy, he seemed nice enough, but it's not like he was a nurse, a school teacher or anything useful. I'm sure he'd be the first to agree as to how ephemeral acting is.

If it's the car stuff, I thought it was we Brits who lionised people for coming second or last.

$17 million, it makes no sense at all.
I guess the $570M his company has donated to charity and continues to isn’t useful.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 08:21 AM   #25
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
I don’t blame them one bit. If I were Rolex I’d want it.
Cartier does same.
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 08:29 AM   #26
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Hard to argue against the watches significance on mechanical watches. PN essentially made the Daytona market. His picture in an Italian mag drove the frenzy we've seen over the last decades. The auction was a spectacle in-and-of itself. Name one single watch that carries more repute than Paul Newman's, Paul Newman Daytona.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:03 AM   #27
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Name one single watch that carries more repute than Paul Newman's, Paul Newman Daytona.
None. I realize it's the most popular watch of all time, I'm just saying I personally don't understand how the reverence of his watch snowballed into the grail status that it has.
Old 29 September 2021, 11:44 AM   #28
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
None. I realize it's the most popular watch of all time, I'm just saying I personally don't understand how the reverence of his watch snowballed into the grail status that it has.

Humans in general like to be just like other humans, which means liking and disliking the same things.

It rarely happens consciously, as can be attested to by the large number here who constantly insist hype does not factor one iota in their desires.

Hype (or reverence in this case) starts small, and quietly gathers pace. Until suddenly it becomes very visible, and people start buying into it very quickly because they look around and see how everyone else is.

It’s not any different from how nationally instituted racism was once perfectly acceptable, and then it wasn’t.

The zeitgeist turns, and everybody who was once racist suddenly is not. Everybody believes they made a perfectly rational decision based on various intellectual inputs.

What most don’t realise is that they were simply following the herd once they see it has taken a new, or certain direction. That’s where the snowballing come in.

But Paul Newman was one hell of human being and someone like him enhances my appreciation of the brand.

Heck, if he likes Rolex, there must be something good about Rolex. Or roger Federer. It’s just these two for me.

I still don’t care for a Daytona though, but I will eventually want one just because…

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 12:06 PM   #29
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
A great watch, worn by a great man. And, I don't use the word "great" lightly.

Yes, he was "just" an actor. If one doesn't hold that in terribly high esteem, nor his stature as an iconic movie actor, whose films make a significant cultural contribution...than his contributions as a philanthropist are worthy of admiration.

He formed the Newman's Own food company, whose profits go entirely to charities. And, he formed and supported numerous other charities, including retreats and charities for disadvantaged children.

He gave back, more than most ever will.

And, as it happens, he was as cool as that Daytona...a watch under appreciated in its day.

He was also a devoted family man, father and husband. His wife gave him that particular watch. He wore it and the rest of us discovered, "hey, that Daytona is pretty damn cool. It's cool enough for Paul Newman, it's cool enough for me."

As for the speculation about whether Rolex bought the watch or not, I'll steal Robert Redford's line to Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", said with gentle ribbing and a light laugh:

"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 12:30 PM   #30
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Heck, if he likes Rolex, there must be something good about Rolex. Or roger Federer. It’s just these two for me.
I'm quite wary about adopting this sentiment. It's easy to fall into this especially if you like the personality. You have to remind yourself that he/she is, at the end of the day, a celebrity. We don't know the full story. Did he really pick that watch or is it a sponsored?

Another idea is to try to balance it with opinions from experts as well. Asking watchmakers about their favorite watches is a very strong point for me, given their wide experience of different watches and intimate knowledge about movements.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote