The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 August 2021, 03:21 PM   #1
rrschmieder
2024 Pledge Member

Need the forum’s advice!

Hello all,

I am close to pulling the trigger on a two-tone Daytona with the black dial, but for the life of me can’t decide between the current version 116503 (with the updated bezel), or the previous version 116523 that was discontinued.

If I get a later version of the discontinued model, it’s essentially the exact same watch (same movement with parachrome hairspring and even ROLEX rehaut). The difference is just the bezel font and design.

In general I would prefer a newer watch, but the difference here seems pretty minuscule and it looks like I can get the discontinued version for $2k-$3k less than a current model.

The current version is on the left and the previous version is on the right. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 77C454CE-3EE6-4C95-A9FE-4B2B0EB2D326.jpeg (31.9 KB, 170 views)
rrschmieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 03:56 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I think the answer is...only you can decide. Why let others pick out your Daytona. Get what you can afford and like.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 07:20 AM   #3
rrschmieder
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah, that’s fair.
rrschmieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 09:57 PM   #4
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I would absolutely get the current version, the font on the old one is ridiculous.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 10:10 PM   #5
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Up to me I would ask how much older is the previous version? Both are almost identical but if the previous version is 5 years or more older I would pick the newer version. I can’t tell the production date from your descripcion. Btw if you are asking you seem inclined to buy new.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:34 AM   #6
harrisonMandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrschmieder View Post
Hello all,

I am close to pulling the trigger on a two-tone Daytona with the black dial, but for the life of me can’t decide between the current version 116503 (with the updated bezel), or the previous version 116523 that was discontinued.

If I get a later version of the discontinued model, it’s essentially the exact same watch (same movement with parachrome hairspring and even ROLEX rehaut). The difference is just the bezel font and design.

In general I would prefer a newer watch, but the difference here seems pretty minuscule and it looks like I can get the discontinued version for $2k-$3k less than a current model.

The current version is on the left and the previous version is on the right. What do you guys think?
Rolex released the Daytona ref. 116523 in 2000 as part of the new-generation Daytona collection equipped with the new in-house Caliber 4130 automatic movement. Remember, prior to that year, Daytona watches ran on caliber 4030, which was a modified Zenith El Primero automatic movement.

Like all modern Daytona watches, the Daytona ref. 116523 sports a 40mm Oyster case, screw down chronograph pushers, and a screw-down winding crown. As a Rolesor model (Rolex’s term for two-tone watches), it features an appealing mix of stainless steel and 18k yellow gold throughout the watch. For instance, there’s the yellow gold engraved tachymeter bezel on the stainless steel case and the yellow gold center links framed by steel links on the Oyster bracelet. The Daytona ref. 116523 comes with many dial color and hour marker options, however, they all include the trio of registers at 3, 6, and 9 o’clock.
harrisonMandy is offline   Reply With Quote