The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 September 2021, 11:49 AM   #1
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Tag Heuer

Ok, what is everyones deal with Tag Heuer? I mean the watch purists think its a low level watch. I know its not Rolex, Omega, but are they that bad? I am thinking about getting a new Aquaracer. I have owned vintage Tags but not a new one. Can anyone speak to the new Tags?
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 12:06 PM   #2
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
I've never really seen everyone's issues with TAG Heuer. Just a brand that seems to get so much hate online. I love the Steve McQueen Monaco and I would gladly get one. The brand new Aqua Racer "Night Diver" looks excellent as well as the Gulf Formula One Chronos.

I have owned probably a dozen "Vintage" TAGs and have loved them all. I've always had a love for the brand as my father gave me his TAG Heuer S/EL Chrono that my mother bought him on their honeymoon. That watch sparked the disease we all have! Formula One and TAG Heuer/Heuer history is a big attraction for me, I love seeing all the watches on TV in the 70s to 90s.

Check out the new Aquaracer Night Diver!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ta...ws-in-the-dark
Old 17 September 2021, 12:54 PM   #3
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
I've never really seen everyone's issues with TAG Heuer. Just a brand that seems to get so much hate online. I love the Steve McQueen Monaco and I would gladly get one. The brand new Aqua Racer "Night Diver" looks excellent as well as the Gulf Formula One Chronos.

I have owned probably a dozen "Vintage" TAGs and have loved them all. I've always had a love for the brand as my father gave me his TAG Heuer S/EL Chrono that my mother bought him on their honeymoon. That watch sparked the disease we all have! Formula One and TAG Heuer/Heuer history is a big attraction for me, I love seeing all the watches on TV in the 70s to 90s.

Check out the new Aquaracer Night Diver!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ta...ws-in-the-dark
Yeah I think tag has some great heritage with McQueen and formula 1. I don’t get the hate, and I love the night diver. Don’t forget the best bond (Timothy Dalton) wore a night diver. I’ll have to check that one out and you can’t beat the price.
Old 17 September 2021, 05:41 PM   #4
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
They dont really have a "watch" or a niche besides the Monaco and that's certainly not for everyone.

Also think that there are better alternatives at the price point where they are competing e.g. Wouldn't you rather have a BB58 over an Aquaracer or an Omega Seamaster over a Carrera.

Heck, would likely take a JLC Reverso over a Monaco
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 08:26 PM   #5
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
They make quartz watches which lowers their ranking vs Omega and Rolex but all are still mass produced high street brands and miles away from top tier high horology makers.
Tag do make a tourbillon so there is some argument that this puts them above Omega and Rolex in watchmaking ability!
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 08:41 PM   #6
Goin2drt
Banned

Haven't seen the hate at all. Yes they are the next level below but they are not a slouch. I own two and like them both. They make great looking "motorsport" style watches. Nice thing about them is you can actually buy them. That is what all the hate is for probably. People think if you can actually find and buy a watch anywhere you go and shop then they are garbage.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 08:54 PM   #7
tanask211
"TRF" Member

I think the brand somehow lost it originality after merging to form TAG Heuer in the 80s especially for the watch aficionados as they prefer the brand as Heuer instead. Anyway the LVMH will not rename it back to Heuer but they do reissue Monaco, Autivia and Carrera watches from time to time. Some of my classmates was able to afford a 2000 series as their dad are loaded.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 09:59 PM   #8
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
there can only be so many "top" brands. it is the reality of benchmarking brands.

tag to me has good watches. but the brand is not a top one in my mind.

i know pre-merger heuer's are sought after heavily and have a cult following. i dont believe those watches are better made than todays.

i do like the new aquaracer but the size is too big for me unfortunately.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 10:19 PM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

No hate here, and in fact for many, many years wanted a Monaco Gulf. Solid movement and wears / looks great imho. Strong buy

Tag_Heuer_Monaco_Gulf_NATO.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 11:53 AM   #10
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Love the monaco!
Old 18 September 2021, 11:33 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
No hate here, and in fact for many, many years wanted a Monaco Gulf. Solid movement and wears / looks great imho. Strong buy

Attachment 1244584
Love this piece, I've owned the black and the blue but I think this would be the one that would stay in a collection.

Tags were what we all aspired to as teenage kids, Rolexes etc were just not viable until we had good full time jobs at least, so outside of the Monaco range there is that slight stigma in my mind to owning one once you have a decent income, but it is a great way into finer watches and I often recommend Aquaracers and the like to friends who show an interest in the hobby.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 01:22 AM   #12
HMHM
"TRF" Member

The hate for Tag Heuer mainly stems from watch snobbery… sure it’s not on the level of Rolex, AP or Patek Philippe but it’s still a very good entry level Swiss made watch (except for the connected). My first Swiss watch was a Tag Heuer Formula 1 which I still wear to this day. For people looking for an entry into Swiss watches I always recommend either a Tag or a Longines.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 03:51 AM   #13
Dayve
"TRF" Member

Watch: the road....
The only Tag I would own would be a Monaco......
Dayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 04:51 AM   #14
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

I've often wondered this too.

I think they make some very niece pieces, and their quality seems legit.

Interestingly enough, TAG just opened a boutique here in Orange County so with that, I assume they must be doing well??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 09:00 PM   #15
Subterranean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 16610 Sub
I bought the GMT "pepsi" a couple of years ago.great watch .very robust and huge presence on the wrist.very accurate 2.ticked all
of my boxes. I would buy another one if the opportunity arose.love the aquaracer range.
Subterranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 10:14 PM   #16
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
The hate for Tag Heuer mainly stems from watch snobbery… sure it’s not on the level of Rolex, AP or Patek Philippe but it’s still a very good entry level Swiss made watch (except for the connected). My first Swiss watch was a Tag Heuer Formula 1 which I still wear to this day. For people looking for an entry into Swiss watches I always recommend either a Tag or a Longines.
It's closer to Rolex than Rolex is to AP and Patek Philippe!
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 10:25 PM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
Well said

Like Rolex, the Tag Heuer is solid, reliable, and very durable, plus it's priced right. AP and PP not so much, and then there's warranty length and time it takes to service, another win for Tag and Rolex over AP and PP.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 19 September 2021, 11:10 PM   #18
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't forget that watch guys don't forget. The Calibre 1887 debacle was a big embarrassment to them and their reputation took a well deserved hit.

Snobbery may also be a factor, but their dishonestly has certainly made things worse.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 11:35 PM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Don't forget that watch guys don't forget. The Calibre 1887 debacle was a big embarrassment to them and their reputation took a well deserved hit.

Snobbery may also be a factor, but their dishonestly has certainly made things worse.
If that's true, then the many well-documented Panerai antics over the years makes the Richemont brand worthless. The Panerai movement fiascos time and again........... and then add in Panerai's 'alternative materials' case problems.....

Old 20 September 2021, 12:06 AM   #20
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

I had two TAG both very nice.

It is only in the eyes of watch geeks a lowered brand, for the vast majority non wis looks as a expensive and luxurious brand.
Lots of history in the Heuer , Monaco and other models.

Aquaracer line is strong but I would like to see a caliber made by them inside their cases

Nothing wrong as long you don’t pay the list price.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 12:07 AM   #21
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If that's true, then the many well-documented Panerai antics over the years makes the Richemont brand worthless. The Panerai movement fiascos time and again........... and then add in Panerai's 'alternative materials' case problems.....
I think theres a fairly significant difference between the two.

One company was not finishing movements in a sold case back watches, adding snap case backs, removing the hacking feature, and any number of cost cutting measures that have absolutey tarnished the brand over the years. Using Richemont group movements and giving them a Panerai movement code is certainly sending them down a similar road, and I have said before that I'm not buying anything new from Panerai for these reasons.

Tag was a little more blatantly dishonest, however. They took a Seiko movement, crossed out "Seiko" and wrote "Tag Heuer" on it with a crayon and announced to the world they had made their first all in-house movement.

Tag make some nice watches, the Monaco being my favourite, but in reality the Monaco is a Heuer watch anyway and Heuer had a better reputation.
Old 20 September 2021, 08:46 AM   #22
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah that was certainly a low point in their history and that was the one catalyst that kinda led TH to move more towards in-house movement Heuer 02 (which they certainly need to do to be considered a luxury Swiss watch brand). I do think they deserve to be given a second look though, particularly the Aquaracer collection now getting better releases and the heritage line such as the Carrera. I’m still undecided about the Monaco at this point.
Old 20 September 2021, 09:05 AM   #23
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
In a way yes! I would say Tag and Rolex are durable watches and relatively affordable (key word relatively) as compared to AP and Patek. The latter two are well finished but are more delicate. But the reality is Rolex is Rolex. Ask anybody, even those clueless about watches will know what a Rolex is. Only those who have ventured beyond Rolex will know what an AP or Patek Phillipe is. If Tag is closer to Rolex than AP/PP, in a way it’s a compliment, no?
Old 20 September 2021, 09:09 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think theres a fairly significant difference between the two. (big snip to save space)

Tag make some nice watches, the Monaco being my favourite, but in reality the Monaco is a Heuer watch anyway and Heuer had a better reputation.
Excellent points and agree. Why are various brands purposefully degrading their value, some worse than others. This is one of the reason I soooo love Rolex.

BTW the Monaco is pretty much the only 'Tag' I'd buy / bought.

Old 20 September 2021, 10:16 AM   #25
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent points and agree. Why are various brands purposefully degrading their value, some worse than others. This is one of the reason I soooo love Rolex.

BTW the Monaco is pretty much the only 'Tag' I'd buy / bought.
The Monaco has been on my radar since the Heuer days. I really like them, and Tag's reissue is an honest reach back into the past (even using the original Heuer logo). A friend bought one recently and they are a damn good looking watch. Not bady priced either, I just dont know if I'd wear it if I bought one though.
Old 20 September 2021, 10:29 AM   #26
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah that was certainly a low point in their history and that was the one catalyst that kinda led TH to move more towards in-house movement Heuer 02 (which they certainly need to do to be considered a luxury Swiss watch brand). I do think they deserve to be given a second look though, particularly the Aquaracer collection now getting better releases and the heritage line such as the Carrera. I’m still undecided about the Monaco at this point.
They've picked up their game, the 15k(ish) tourbillon being a good example, but they still have a way to go. That's a lot of money for a Tag, Tourbillon or not.
Old 21 September 2021, 04:18 PM   #27
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

My first luxury watch was an Aquaracer chrono and man did it do well as a daily on an 18yr olds wrist for nearly 10 years. Only an ETA movement, but never failed me. Shame about the online reputation - majority of non watch people consider them highly.

Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 01:43 AM   #28
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
My first luxury watch was an Aquaracer chrono and man did it do well as a daily on an 18yr olds wrist for nearly 10 years. Only an ETA movement, but never failed me. Shame about the online reputation - majority of non watch people consider them highly.

See that is a damn good looking watch! This is what I am looking at.
Old 22 September 2021, 05:44 AM   #29
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Haven't purchased a Tag in decades but fell in love with this one recently and paid freakin' retail
At least the Heuer 02 in-house movement seems legit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4455.jpg (199.4 KB, 194 views)
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:53 PM   #30
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Haven't purchased a Tag in decades but fell in love with this one recently and paid freakin' retail
At least the Heuer 02 in-house movement seems legit.
Beautiful
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote