The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 September 2021, 11:00 AM   #61
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Well said. I've often thought the part of my brain which can't get past a scratch on a watch or a car wheel is the same part that pushes me to try to make furniture I'm building "perfect" even though my friends and family see an obvious (to me) flaw and say "nobody will ever notice". "Good enough" is a rephrasing of "who cares" in my book, and I'm just not wired like that.

But the true joy of the internet is having a bunch of strangers try to convince you that your personality traits aren't as valid as theirs. It would be totally different if I posted a thread titled "do you think I should care about a scratch?". This is not the question I'm asking, because I already know that answer haha.

Man, you sound like me. I am the same way. A rock chip on my truck, or a scratch on my watch and it drives me insane! To the point where I get angry and want to sell it all. Lol.

But like you said in other aspects, I strive for perfection. I do all sorts of home improvements, and anything I work on I try to make absolutely perfect. Like you said, stuff I let bother me would not even be noticed by 99% of the world. But if something isn’t right it eats at me constantly.

I always strive for perfection in everything, but like my fiancé tells me, nothing is perfect. Nobody ever understands me, but it’s how my brain works I can’t help myself. I’ve been trying to teach myself to let certain stuff go.

Anyway, back to the title, that’s very unfortunate plastic would scratch the watch. You’re much braver than I, as I would never let anything but my hands or the soft bristle brush when I clean it to touch my Rolex. B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 11:06 AM   #62
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
WeAr the watch for 5 min and it will get scratched, the sooner you except them the sooner you can enjoy your watch.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:28 AM   #63
gr33n
"TRF" Member

Wear it diving, wear it sleeping, showering, scratch it on the bottom of the pool... You will enjoy it for decades.
Soon (starting 40yo - 50yo) your vision will not be as effective and you will not see the scratches anymore !
Old 29 September 2021, 01:31 AM   #64
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawirider View Post
Man, you sound like me. I am the same way. A rock chip on my truck, or a scratch on my watch and it drives me insane! To the point where I get angry and want to sell it all. Lol.

But like you said in other aspects, I strive for perfection. I do all sorts of home improvements, and anything I work on I try to make absolutely perfect. Like you said, stuff I let bother me would not even be noticed by 99% of the world. But if something isn’t right it eats at me constantly.

I always strive for perfection in everything, but like my fiancé tells me, nothing is perfect. Nobody ever understands me, but it’s how my brain works I can’t help myself. I’ve been trying to teach myself to let certain stuff go.

Anyway, back to the title, that’s very unfortunate plastic would scratch the watch. You’re much braver than I, as I would never let anything but my hands or the soft bristle brush when I clean it to touch my Rolex. B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A saying I've always liked is "Strive for perfection, settle for excellence."
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:41 AM   #65
gr33n
"TRF" Member

Or "strive for perfection, stand for more psychological problems in the future"
Old 29 September 2021, 03:27 AM   #66
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Material durability can be very counterintuitive.

For example, I’ve seen rubber drive belts wear away aluminum engine castings due to rubbing, with the belt seeing little visible damage.

Hardness of the materials is not the only consideration. Movement speed and pressure also have their own effects.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 06:54 AM   #67
Fenix84
"TRF" Member

Yes, wearing a watch will cause scratches but my DJ shows a lot more wear while being worn a lot less than my 316L watches. Of course I'm comparing polished surfaces.
Fenix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 12:32 PM   #68
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwillis0001 View Post
A saying I've always liked is "Strive for perfection, settle for excellence."
I like that, hadn't heard that before

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 05:55 AM   #69
Ganymede
"TRF" Member

A few thoughts:

1. Plastic parts are often composites, some of which can contain silica-based fillers for hardness and sturdiness. As a result, they can scratch the hell out of your watch very easily.

2. You need to know the difference between scratching and denting. There are different types of hardness. A less hard material may not scratch a harder one, but if may be able to cause an indentation.

3. Any kind of hard contaminant between your watch and the caliper can act like sandpaper and scratch your watch.
Ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 06:40 AM   #70
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
A few thoughts:

1. Plastic parts are often composites, some of which can contain silica-based fillers for hardness and sturdiness. As a result, they can scratch the hell out of your watch very easily.

2. You need to know the difference between scratching and denting. There are different types of hardness. A less hard material may not scratch a harder one, but if may be able to cause an indentation.

3. Any kind of hard contaminant between your watch and the caliper can act like sandpaper and scratch your watch.
Well put
Besides, all scratches or micro marring is caused by abrasion.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 06:43 AM   #71
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Being a nerd I wanted to measure various case dimensions to see how they compared to the published specs. Though I have many precision measuring instruments I don't dare bring their sharp metal surfaces near my watches. So I ordered up a plastic jawed set of digital calipers just for this purpose. I take out my new Bluesy, carefully place the jaws at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock and close them gently... 41.0mm... right on the money. Open the jaws, remove the calipers. No perceptible dragging along the surface. Glance at the side of the case... WTF is this?? Yep, scratched. Unreal. I knew these things were delicate, but this is really something. It's nice that we have a bracelet option on more models these days, but can I get a 316L case option please??

In my previous town, our jewelry store had a watchmaker who had moved to the US from Switzerland. He was head of Rolex US service for 10 years, and head of AP service for 5 years. I felt extremely lucky to have access to someone like this and I figured it was surely safe to let him regulate my 16710. He gave it back to me and I immediately saw vertical scratches on the side of the case. I was speechless. He had even made the comment to me that he could tell my watch had never been opened before because most watchmakers were "butchers" and would leave traces behind. For the last 10 years I have wondered how this guy could have scratched up the case like that. I had assumed he used a metal case holder or had metal jaws in the timegrapher or something "obvious". But now that I have experienced the damage that plastic can cause, I guess he may have not been that careless.

Anyway, had to vent to somebody. Nobody I know in real life wants to hear it... :)

Attachment 1245780
Woah, that's crazy!