The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 September 2021, 06:35 AM   #1
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
AP durability

I’m in a position to get an AP. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the durability of Royal Oaks. I could get ceramic or titanium. I know there is an AP forum but I don’t know that group as well and might like a perspective on it from Patek guys. I’m specifically concerned about scratches on bracelets whether steel or titanium. I’ve heard a lot of people say they’re scratch magnets. I wear my watches whatever I’m doing. The Patek’s are still pristine. Rolex’s are the same. AP has always worried me. Then of course ceramic worries me because of breaks. I’ve never dropped a watch but it still freaks me out. Specifically I’m looking at perpetual calendars. Any help, advise or pointers are very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2021, 06:46 AM   #2
endo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15703 & PP 5990
The surfaces are no less fragile than a Patek, same steel and similar finishing.

My diver is now getting on to it’s 8 or 9th birthday, and wouldnt say it looks any worse than my 5990… (maybe the Patek is worse, since i’ve managed to ding it 12 o’clock so it always catches the light)

I’ll try and get some comparisons photos (might poach stuff from my gram, if it saves me taking new ones)
endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2021, 07:23 AM   #3
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumOceanLawyer View Post
I’m in a position to get an AP. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the durability of Royal Oaks. I could get ceramic or titanium. I know there is an AP forum but I don’t know that group as well and might like a perspective on it from Patek guys. I’m specifically concerned about scratches on bracelets whether steel or titanium. I’ve heard a lot of people say they’re scratch magnets. I wear my watches whatever I’m doing. The Patek’s are still pristine. Rolex’s are the same. AP has always worried me. Then of course ceramic worries me because of breaks. I’ve never dropped a watch but it still freaks me out. Specifically I’m looking at perpetual calendars. Any help, advise or pointers are very much appreciated.

AP is a scratch magnet, Bezel and bracelet especially tend to catch most scratches. But that is not an issue, it is part of the experience.
I would not consider ceramic because it might break. Titanium all the way for me

Old 26 September 2021, 07:26 AM   #4
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
AP is a scratch magnet, Bezel and bracelet especially tend to catch most scratches. But that is not an issue, it is part of the experience.
I would not consider ceramic because it might break. Titanium all the way for me

I’m kind of leaning towards titanium too. A little more understated and easier to wear with any outfit.

QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote