The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 September 2021, 01:24 PM   #1
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Damage from Third Party Watch Straps for Patek & PM Cases?

Hey All,

Had a quick question that I was wondering. I purchased a couple of third party straps for my white gold 6119g. The straps are fitted with the quick release spring bars which I’m assuming are in steel. Given the case is white gold (and softer) is there any reason for concern that over time these straps will wear out / enlarge the holes in the lugs?

Are the spring bars in OEM PP straps (also quick release) white gold or stainless steel? I’m assuming that there are made in whatever precious metal the watch is in and not stainless steel…

There are way more options for third party straps and I don’t think (if there is, probably not an easy way) to change the spring bars in these quick release spring bar straps….
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 02:46 PM   #2
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
OEM PP strap has white gold spring bar. Your concern is correct.
huydoan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 04:49 PM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Hey All,

Had a quick question that I was wondering. I purchased a couple of third party straps for my white gold 6119g. The straps are fitted with the quick release spring bars which I’m assuming are in steel. Given the case is white gold (and softer) is there any reason for concern that over time these straps will wear out / enlarge the holes in the lugs?

Are the spring bars in OEM PP straps (also quick release) white gold or stainless steel? I’m assuming that there are made in whatever precious metal the watch is in and not stainless steel…

There are way more options for third party straps and I don’t think (if there is, probably not an easy way) to change the spring bars in these quick release spring bar straps….
I believe all aftermarket strap manufacturers offer cut tabs so you can use your Patek pin bars (Camille Fournet and Jean Rousseau certainly do), if not then get standard straps and take them into your AD for the tabs to be cut - all AD’s have a kit to add the tabs to a standard strap.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 09:13 PM   #4
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I believe all aftermarket strap manufacturers offer cut tabs so you can use your Patek pin bars (Camille Fournet and Jean Rousseau certainly do), if not then get standard straps and take them into your AD for the tabs to be cut - all AD’s have a kit to add the tabs to a standard strap.

Yeah it's something I didn't think of at the time when ordering. I'm sure if I asked I could have gotten it like that straight from the strap manufacturer.

I do see that on the OEM strap there are cuts so the springbars can slide out. On the straps I ordered, the leather is connected on the quick spring tab so it would be more challenging to slide it out as is.

If I visit a local AD, wondering if they'd be willing to help with the straps if (1) I didn't purchase the watch there (2) they are aftermarket / third party straps?

If not, maybe I can just use an exacto knife to make a cut myself? lol
Old 29 September 2021, 12:50 AM   #5
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Don’t ever cross-pollinate spring bars: gold on gold case, s/s on s/s case, etc. Unseen case problems will develop over time.
Old 29 September 2021, 02:53 AM   #6
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone know how much OEM spring bars are from Patek? I'm assuming they charge $$$ for what they are

Also, I realized with some maneuvering, the steel spring bars can be jiggered out of the quick release strap holes. The OEM patek strap is different in that the cut goes directly to the edge so the spring bars slide out very easily. Other strapmakers have the cut in the strap, but it's closed off which requires some bending / maneuvering.
Old 29 September 2021, 04:18 AM   #7
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Anyone know how much OEM spring bars are from Patek? I'm assuming they charge $$$ for what they are
If you deal with an AD for purchases they are free, if you buy grey I’m afraid I have no idea of the actual price.
Old 29 September 2021, 04:19 AM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
Don’t ever cross-pollinate spring bars: gold on gold case, s/s on s/s case, etc. Unseen case problems will develop over time.
I believe Patek uses WG spring bars on stainless steel and platinum pieces.
Old 29 September 2021, 04:36 AM   #9
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you deal with an AD for purchases they are free, if you buy grey I’m afraid I have no idea of the actual price.
Hmmm, for some reason I find it hard to believe that they just give out gold spring bars complimentary...?

Did a google search actually and came across this thread from 2016:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=465564

Looks like they were $75 each ($150 for a pair of 2 spring bars) back then. Not sure how much they are now
Old 29 September 2021, 08:20 AM   #10
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hmmm, for some reason I find it hard to believe that they just give out gold spring bars complimentary...?
Fair enough.
Old 29 September 2021, 12:07 PM   #11
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Quote:
I believe Patek uses WG spring bars on stainless steel and platinum pieces.
Incorrect. s/s bars on s/s cases only. Just bought new spring bars for my 5212 and was sold s/s. Was strongly cautioned by HSWA to never cross-pollinate. In the short run, it will never be noticed. In the long run, you will ruin the lug holes.
Old 29 September 2021, 04:48 PM   #12
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
Incorrect. s/s bars on s/s cases only. Just bought new spring bars for my 5212 and was sold s/s. Was strongly cautioned by HSWA to never cross-pollinate. In the short run, it will never be noticed. In the long run, you will ruin the lug holes.
Interesting, I will ask again as this most certainly wasn’t the feedback I got for Patek pin bars or indeed what I received for my 5212 - are PP now marking the pin bars so you can see what they are made of? I would also be interested to understand how a softer inert metal can damage SS, I was specifically told Patek uses the softest inert metal for all it’s pin bars so they will never damage any watch be it SS, WG, YG, RG or PT - the pin bar is always equal to or softer than the case and can easily be replaced.
Old 29 September 2021, 07:49 PM   #13
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
a spring cannot be make out of gold the steel spring will be incased in gold
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 08:42 PM   #14
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
a spring cannot be make out of gold the steel spring will be incased in gold
Indeed.
Old 29 September 2021, 10:58 PM   #15
mitchie41
"TRF" Member

Spring Bars

I have heard the explanations about using steel spring bars on a gold case and how it can wear the lug holes over time. And it's true that PP spring bars are in gold, but not every company uses gold spring bars for gold watch cases.

For instance, VC uses steel spring bars on many of their dress watches that are coloured gold (i.e. 1921 American).

So I'm not sure if the wear and tear issue is fact or a myth -- Lots of people use non-OEM spring bars for their Pateks

It's also very hard to purchase extra OEM spring bars for PP.....my AD usually offers an exchange...they dont sell you new ones.
mitchie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:36 AM   #16
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchie41 View Post

It's also very hard to purchase extra OEM spring bars for PP.....my AD usually offers an exchange...they dont sell you new ones.
Wow, never heard of that before. I have several spare sets for all my pieces as I change straps very often. Different markets I guess, my AD originally had trouble ordering a 5172G strap to fit onto my 5212A but I know other regions were able to order straight away.